We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 10:20

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Dale Hallmark

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dale Hallmark

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2014 14:01    Post subject: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Here is a picture of my piece of lapis. A friend, a captain in the US military picked it up for me while stationed in Afghanistan back in 2012. I would like a larger piece but until that goal come to the fore this will suffice. It has a sprinkle of pyrite in it.
Dale

lapis.jpg
 Description:
Lazurite (lapislazuli)
Sar-e Sang, Koksha Valley, Khash & Kuran Wa Munjan Districts, Badakhshan, Afghanistan
2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1-1/4 inches
 Viewed:  31556 Time(s)

lapis.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2014 14:46    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

The lapis is a quite pretty color. One of the nicest things about collecting is often the back story or the history of a region or local that specimens come from. Often the lack of classic faces does not detract from it's personal value, especially for you or the Captain. History is replete with examples of conflicts being fought for mineral resources or a fine tale of how the piece was acquired. Often too, not a small amount of personal risk may be involved in the collection of specimens (my ex wife threatened to kill me multiple times when a package came to the door). There are so many ways to approach this hobby or profession.This makes it quite a rich endeavor.

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2014 15:00    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Yeah often the story is more collectible than the sample :-) As often as I can I attempt to get a piece form its most famous locale. I have a small sample of non-precious Opal from Australia. Certainly not worth anything but it is Australian Opal. To me that is interesting. It is another that is open for a bigger sample someday. Often in trades the emails and friendships that develop are the best part. My wife doesn't understand that you can actually be friends with people you never met.
Dale

Mark Ost wrote:
The lapis is a quite pretty color. One of the nicest things about collecting is often the back story or the history of a region or local that specimens come from. Often the lack of classic faces does not detract from it's personal value, especially for you or the Captain. History is replete with examples of conflicts being fought for mineral resources or a fine tale of how the piece was acquired. Often too, not a small amount of personal risk may be involved in the collection of specimens (my ex wife threatened to kill me multiple times when a package came to the door). There are so many ways to approach this hobby or profession.This makes it quite a rich endeavor.

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2014 15:10    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

A nice piece of Chrysocolla or so I was told. The distinction between some of the Copper Oxides are not as clear for me as I would like. Need to do a little more study.

About 3 pounds. Chrysocolla has been used as a decorative stone since time began.
Dale

Chry.JPG
 Description:
Chrysocolla
Arizona, USA
4 x 4 x 3 inches
 Viewed:  31513 Time(s)

Chry.JPG

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2014 15:13    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Malachite from Africa...one of the Congo's, not sure exactly where.
About 210 g

Pretty green

Dale

MalachiteSM.jpg
 Description:
Malachite
R.D. Congo
2 x 1 x 5/8 inches
210g, app.
 Viewed:  31563 Time(s)

MalachiteSM.jpg

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 19:51    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Here is a small piece of Jet. Actually a form of Lignite. This was purchased in Whitby England and this small piece is all I have.

What is interesting about jet is that it has been used for jewelry and inlay for a long time. The oldest piece of carved jet is believed to be 10 thousand years old. It was very popular in Victorian England as jewelry, carved objects and inlay in jewelry boxes and other stuff.

I am a little reluctant to post such stuff as from looking at the other posts, my samples are pretty poor in comparison.

Dale.

jet.jpg
 Description:
Jet
Whitby, England
approximately 65mm x 10mm x 6mm
 Viewed:  31310 Time(s)

jet.jpg

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2014 22:21    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Large example of Red Jasper from Arizona USA. Certainly a common mineral but that is what I like. Photo taken in tungston light which imparted more yellow to the image than it has in natural light,

Dale

Jas.jpg
 Description:
Red Jasper
Arizona, USA
13cm x 9cm x 7cm
 Viewed:  31114 Time(s)

Jas.jpg

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2014 20:05    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

A fairly large white Feldspar. All I know about it is that it came from the North East USA. I don't even know the State. Nice and shiny on the cleavage faces.

Dale

Feldspar.jpg
 Description:
Feldspar
North East, USA
4-1/2 inch x 2 inch x 2 inch
 Viewed:  30987 Time(s)

Feldspar.jpg

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2014 14:27    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Just found out that the Lapis was purchased in Qalat City, Zabul Province Afghanistan. Where it was actually mined is unknown to me.
Dale

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2015 21:09    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Catlinite, not really a mineral but a type of argillite (metamorphosed mudstone) (also called pipestone). This rock has a long history in Native American culture. It is used to make sacred ceremonial pipes, calumets and Chanunpa. Native peoples from all around the world have used Argillite pretty much since man began to use tools.

This image was taken with the sample wet to simulate (poorly) the color it would have if finished and polished but I have no intention of carving it. I like it the way it is.

It is quite dense but easy to carve. It comes in a wide range of colors but this one is fairly distinctive for SW Minnesota.

There are plenty other rocks and minerals that often are called pipestone. Soapstone, Steatite and Alabaster were used extensively too.

The two verticle lines in the image are where it has started to dry.
Dale

cat.jpg
 Mineral: Pyrophyllite
 Locality:
Minnesota, USA
 Dimensions: 86 x 78 x 32 mm
 Description:
SW Minnesota
 Viewed:  29589 Time(s)

cat.jpg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2015 02:15    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Dale Hallmark wrote:
Catlinite, not really a mineral but a type of argillite (metamorphosed mudstone) (also called pipestone). This rock has a long history in Native American culture. It is used to make sacred ceremonial pipes, calumets and Chanunpa. Native peoples from all around the world have used Argillite pretty much since man began to use tools.

This image was taken with the sample wet to simulate (poorly) the color it would have if finished and polished but I have no intention of carving it. I like it the way it is.

It is quite dense but easy to carve. It comes in a wide range of colors but this one is fairly distinctive for SW Minnesota.

There are plenty other rocks and minerals that often are called pipestone. Soapstone, Steatite and Alabaster were used extensively too.

The two verticle lines in the image are where it has started to dry.
Dale

Hi Dale. Thank you for your interesting story on Catlinite. Regards.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2015 05:13    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

The size of https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/download.php?id=55378 please?

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2015 07:02    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

I had the dimensions...wonder how I removed them...

It is 86 x 78 x 32 mm roughly. It is too heavy for my small scale and too light for my large scale but weighs approximately half a kilo.

Dale

Jordi Fabre wrote:
The size of https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/download.php?id=55378 please?

_______
Fixed
Carles M.

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2015 18:19    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

This came today.

Small Quartz Crystal Cluster from Madagascar. About 103g.

Dale

quartz.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz
 Locality:
Madagascar
 Dimensions: 55mm x 40mm x 35mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28199 Time(s)

quartz.jpg

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2016 15:48    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Jade from British Columbia. The closest I can narrow it down is that is from near either Ogden or Kutcho in B.C., Canada. I got it from a store the owners of the mine operate in Juneau. They didn't know which of the two mines it was from.

It is about 120mm by 60mm by 25mm. Pretty good size. I don't have a scale to weigh it but
it is right at a kilo.

Jade1.jpg
 Mineral: Actinolite
 Locality:
British Columbia, Canada
 Dimensions: 120mm x 60mm x 25mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  24496 Time(s)

Jade1.jpg

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2016 15:49    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Close up view of a small polished section.

Dale

Jade2.jpg
 Mineral: Actinolite
 Locality:
British Columbia, Canada
 Dimensions: 120mm x 60mm x 25mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  24497 Time(s)

Jade2.jpg

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2017 09:50    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Silicified or agatized dolomite locally called Alibates Flint. There is an Alibates Flint National Quarry musuem not too far from here.

Used by native peoples for over 13k year.

Collected this myself not too far from Lake Meredith in Moore County Texas from private property.
About 2kg

I like rocks and minerals that have a long history of human use other than as jewelry.
This material has been discovered at archaeological site over 1600km distant.

Dale

AlibatesSM.jpg
 Mineral: Dolomite
 Locality:
Lake Meredith, Sanford, Texas Panhandle, Texas, USA
 Dimensions: 15x12x11cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  22117 Time(s)

AlibatesSM.jpg

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2017 19:13    Post subject: Re: Collection of Dale Hallmark  

Got this today. It is Native Copper from Central Arizona USA. A friend who lives there sent it to me. He no longer remembers precisely where he harvested it. It weighs 95.74g.

Dale

Copper.jpg
 Mineral: Copper
 Description:
Central Arizona
8x5x3.5cm
 Viewed:  21142 Time(s)

Copper.jpg

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: