We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 19, 2024 07:31

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Food safe water rocks for PH balancing drinking water

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Crusher

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2015 20:18    Post subject: Food safe water rocks for PH balancing drinking water  

Hello Rockers, I need some help from some qualified experts finding a source for a food safe rock that I can use to alkalize my drinking water. Lots of angles I`m unsure of...

I`m looking to get my water to about 7.4 PH, this is what our cells operate at so why not shoot for that... Any added mineralization is a BONUS !

Not sure what rock absorbs what from the ground and if parasites are inside, so I`m afraid to hike into the local mountain's and get a hand full from a local stream ...!

All I need is a handful really, not like they will wear out in a jar of standing water. Even if I made my own filter out of brass fittings they would out live me ????

I bought some crushed white rock from a plant nursery that is for decoration I guess, they had no idea what it was, and after some research I think it is white marble that does not have any glaze or added acrylic that I could tell anyway.

I boiled the rocks for 20 minutes before I used them.

This white stone raised the PH up to about 7.7, but when I used up the water and smelled the wet stone it has a strong almost perfume scent, only I`m sure it not artificial and is actually a natural scent of the stone. Is this normal for white marble ?

The taste it puts into the water is a little chalky with a hint of bitter, other than that it`s no so bad.

I read there is a rust danger when using marble, this is white marble and I pulled the discolored ones already so is the rust a problem ?

Rock I`m thinking of using:

Limestone, just hard to find a food safe one but willing to hike to get my own and boil.

Texas Holy Rock, for sale in salt water aquarium shops for raising the PH but it has many holes & pores like coral, so I`m afraid of it absorbing who knows what.

Maifan stone, made in china is popular in the water filtration industry but I`m always a skeptic when something has been tampered with by any man. I came up short when trying to find out just how this is manufactured and not sure if this stone contains more than one type?

Any other ideas would be awesome other than just buying a filter from the mainstream industry because I`m out of that game...

Thank you in advance for your time and help :]

Cheers,

Crusher
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mark Ost

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2015 20:28    Post subject: Re: Food safe water rocks for PH balancing drinking water  

Well this is a bit different. Maybe baking soda or lemon might be better? Easier anyways.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2015 02:49    Post subject: Re: Food safe water rocks for PH balancing drinking water  

Mark Ost wrote:
Well this is a bit different. Maybe baking soda or lemon might be better? Easier anyways.

Hi Crusher, I agree with Mark. You could also visit your local pharmacist. Even though the crushed and refined rocks he will offer you is 'man handled', it should be of the purest grade.
Happy drinking:-)

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2015 05:42    Post subject: Re: Food safe water rocks for PH balancing drinking water  

Oh seriously, a bit of caution. Many rocks are porous and are great at absorbing whatever goes into them such as Benzene, petroleum products, Volatile chemicals and so on; whatever may be out there. Also there are poisonous minerals to be had also. First lesson is don't lick or taste rocks, better methods to identify.

Josele

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2015 07:06    Post subject: Re: Food safe water rocks for PH balancing drinking water  

It is difficult talking about a spring water when one knows only the pH value and has no information about bacteria, dissolved salts, and elements present in water. That said, some comments:

- European normative for bottled spring water accepts pH values in a range from 4.5 to 9.5. Even values under 4.5 are acceptable in natural CO2 rich waters.
- After a couple of years working in the bottled spring water industry and having tasted a large variety of mineral water samples, my favorite is a slightly mineralized spring water extracted from siliceous rocks which have an acidity ranging from pH 5.8 to 6.2
- Boiling process at 100º is not an accepted method to guarantee water salubrity because this does not kill all organisms presents in water.
- The soup of water and rocks and subsequent cooling process is an excellent cultivation for bacteria.

My modest advice is to biologically analyze your spring water (following the proper method of sampling and analyzing) to assure that is free of pathogenic organisms. You can forget the 7.4 pH value, which is acceptable and does not need to be altered.
Less manipulations you do to water, more pure will remain. In fact, bottled spring water normative prohibits all kind of chemical processes before bottling.

Cheers!

DSCN1932.JPG
 Description:
Filtering is the only process accepted for purifying bottled spring water.
In special cases also ozone treatment can be allowed, not for killing bacteria (water must come out from well or spring free of pathogen bacteria) but to oxidize an eventual excess of iron.
 Viewed:  16932 Time(s)

DSCN1932.JPG

DSCN0951.JPG
 Description:
This pH 5.8 water is accepted for bottling and his acidity is enough to dissolve the cement of a concrete deposit.
Ideal for kidney stones!
 Viewed:  16924 Time(s)

DSCN0951.JPG

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2015 08:07    Post subject: Re: Food safe water rocks for PH balancing drinking water  

Man Josele
That is one big kidney stone. Maybe take it to Tucson? Oh I am sick!

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2015 08:52    Post subject: Re: Food safe water rocks for PH balancing drinking water  

Mark Ost wrote:
Man Josele
That is one big kidney stone. Maybe take it to Tucson? Oh I am sick!

This too, will pass.

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2015 09:04    Post subject: Re: Food safe water rocks for PH balancing drinking water  

in a cow perhaps

Josele

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2015 12:02    Post subject: Re: Food safe water rocks for PH balancing drinking water  

Eh, no joke, alkaline water (high pH) is perfect to feed kidney stones while lightly mineralized water (low pH) helps to dissolve them.

A human one: Whewellite

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: