We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 18:49

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?
  Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John S. White
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2008 19:13    Post subject: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Since many of Jordi's Forum friends are apparently going to be in Tucson, it might be fun to try to coordinate a time when we can all assemble, just to meet each other and put faces and other features in our memory banks.

What do you all think of this idea?

If there is general interest I am sure that I can come up with a place where we might meet.

Obviously all of us will not be in Tucson at the same time so we will have to try to find a date that captures the majority of us.

Reply to topic Reply with quote

MaryFender

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2008 21:39    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Meeting in Tucson sounds like a splendid idea. I will be there from Jan 30 - Feb 14. How about an evening at the Inn Suites Happy Hour. Happy Holidays, until Tucson.

Maryanne

str4hler

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2008 06:24    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

I'll be there ;-)

Gail

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2008 08:07    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Jim and I will be there also.

I would to invite you all to the Westward Look on Feb. 7 to see some of our collection in the main lobby of the resort. The show director has asked us to be the featured guest exhibitor and would love to give you a tour.
Info as follows:

Saturday Collector's Day

Special Guest: Jim and Gail Spann
Collection: Private Worldwide Collection
When: Saturday, February 7, 2009
Time: 10AM - 4PM
Where: Westward Look Resort Lobby

Gail and Jim Spann have put together one of the great private collections of minerals from all over the world.

Join them on Saturday, February 7, 2009 from 10AM to 4PM as they present their collection, answer any of your questions and share their stories.

See you Saturday in the Lobby of the Westward Look Resort.

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2008 10:34    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

I will be there in and around the Main show only (first time for me at Tucson!!!!!) and I don't even know when the Inn Suites happy hour is, but would love to be there if it's within my window (sorry Gail I won't be there to see your wonderful collection)...

MaryFender

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2008 10:47    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

The Inn Suites Hotel is one of the primary mineral venues in Tucson and is not far from the Convention Center. Here is the address: The Innsuites Hotel, 475 N. Granada, Tucson, AZ
They have a lounge and have a happy hour every night. If the weather is nice there is plenty of seating in the courtyard. Marty Zinn usually arranges to have a couple of exhibits here as well along with hosting a variety of mineral meetings.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2008 11:59    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

I am happy to see so many of you interested in a get-together in Tucson. To this end, Jordi and I are working on trying to find a good place for this event, one in which there will be drinks and snacks provided. I have to disagree with Maryfender about the lounge at the InnSuites. It is small, very loud and overall a rather unpleasant place. In addition, one can never assume that there will be seats; sometimes there are, sometimes the hotel just takes them away.

We have lots of time to plan for an attractive site, and when this has been selected you will all be notified via this Forum.

MaryFender

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2008 12:09    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

It was just a suggestion. I am up for any convenient location - the road construction hinders movement around town.

Claus

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2008 17:43    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Maryanne,

Gentle Ben's Brewing Company is in University, unaffected by road construction, easily accessible, convenient parking nearby ... and a VERY relevant venue - best beer in town.

All the best

Claus

Gail

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2008 17:58    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

I appreciate Maryanne's suggestion in that it is right in the middle of the mineral activity and often it is difficult to pull yourself away and drive somewhere else.
Anyhow, I figure we can let John work on this and come up with a time and place...just let us all know and we will do our best to show!

Linda Smith

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2008 18:16    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Please let me know where when you decide. I would love to attend.

Linda St-Cyr

PostPosted: Dec 25, 2008 15:33    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Gail, your collection will remain on display at the Westward Look for many days, won't it? Or is it just Feb 7th?

Linda St-Cyr

Gail

PostPosted: Dec 25, 2008 23:47    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Hello Linda, and welcome!
Our display is for one day only. We will be there from 10 till 4 to answer questions and to greet people, but then we remove it and that is that.
( This is a trial for us as we are putting in 53 cabinets of minerals in the East Coast Gem and Mineral Show as the featured guest exhibitors in August up in Massachusetts! Luckily, smaller cabinets! )
If we don't meet up I will cruise over to see you in your room some time!

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 12:24    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Hello and, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all, around the world,

I will enjoy joining the group's "reunion" if I can make it whenever it's held in Tucson.

Gail, I won't be able to see your & Jim's collection at the Westword Look, as I'm one of the folks who won't get to Tucson until after that, not till Monday the 9th, just staying for the week of the main show (as opposed to the opposite type of person, the ones who come early and leave before the main show starts; of course, the "best" are the ones who are there for weeks and weeks for everything (or just because they are dealers and have to be there that whole time)). I generally drive to Tucson from Denver, and take my time, stopping to visit some geologic or mineral sites along the way or for a bit of hiking and camping.

I'll look forward to hearing when we may get together and whether it's when I can make it; regardless, I'll at least look forward to dropping in and saying hello to Jordi at his room, and, for those who will be there at the main show, please come by and say "hi" to me at our USGS booth, which I believe will be the first one as you enter the upstairs Galleria from the west doorway facing the parking lot.

Best wishes to all!
Pete Modreski

image128.jpg
 Description:
These mineral stockings are courtesy of Darryl Powell's ("Diamond Dan") website!
http://www.diamonddanpublications.net/
 Viewed:  40074 Time(s)

image128.jpg

Gail

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 14:20    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Hi Pete,
Jim and I would like to meet you and perhaps show you some of our pieces in private if you like. They are, as you know, not for sale but rather for show.
It would be delightful to visit with you.
Gail

mmauthner

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 17:18    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Hi All,
Would love to participate...and being rather footloose and fancy-free these days (part of the huge lay-off that GIA had to make), I'll be at the Tucson show the whole time, so any time and any place is good.

Cheers,
Mark

Gail

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 17:20    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Oh NO Mark! I am so sorry to hear about your GIA predicament!
On the other hand, it will be good to see you at Tucson just having fun?

mmauthner

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 17:29    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Thanks, Gail.
Doing fine though...what's life without a bit of adventure. Was panning for gold yesterday...not going to make a living at that though... :-)
Mark

Linda St-Cyr

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 19:42    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Mark - Very sorry to hear about the GIA reduction. With your computer skills, hopefully you can find an alternate way of paying the bills? Incidently, I met you at the Del Mar fair last summer, and I'm the one to whom you donated the Hawaian lava for my museum display.

May I make a suggestion - since most people will be in Tucson for the main show, how about meeting after the main show closes on Saturday the 14th, just inside the doors? That would give us a chance for some conversation followed by groups forming & going off to dinner.

You don't have to like my proposal, I'm just trying to get the ball rolling again! :)

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2008 05:58    Post subject: Re: Meeting in Tucson of FMF Forum's friends?  

Not a bad idea but it won't work for me because I am leaving Saturday morning. Perhaps we can do it Friday instead. Upstairs where the ticket booths are might be a good place because it is carpeted and quiet. Alternatively, outside on the lower level where there are tables and chair is also a possibility, assuming that the weather cooperates. It does sometimes rain in Tucson and it may be cold and windy.

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 3
  Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: