We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 03:26

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
"H. Deisinger" Collection

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jamison Brizendine

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2015 09:45    Post subject: "H. Deisinger" Collection  

I am not sure if this is the correct sub-forum or not, but I thought I would try and see if any of our German (Tobi and Gerhard) or Austrian (Martin Rich) FMF Members could try and help me here (any help would be appreciated actually). I also apologize ahead of time if I have misspelled any German words and if I accidentally messed up posting pictures on the forum.

I am trying to find information about a former German (or Austrian?) mineral collector / geologist. I have several handwritten labels from specimens that were stated as being from the “H. Deisinger” collection. All the specimens that I have acquired from this collection were being offered by Jim Mcewan (Lehigh Minerals). Most of the specimens that were offered were predominantly German specimens, but the collection also had a wide variety of other worldwide minerals as well.

I have been trying to find some background information on “H. Deisinger” with limited success, as his name does not appear on the Mineralogical Record label archive.

The only lead I have for this individual is a cited reference from the US Department of the Interior Geological Survey. The reference is the bibliography file from the Zeolite Mineral Group, published in 1982 by Barry Hayhurst and Richard Mathias. The record is available online as a PDF. The citation is as follows (Note that there were no special characters on typewriters!) :

Muller, Von Ulrich, and Deisinger, Heinz, 1971, Strontium-Thomsonit aus dem Robbergbasalt von Robdorf bei Darmstadt: Aufschluss, vol. 22, pp. 145-148

I believe that “H. Deisinger” the collector is in fact, the cited Heinz Deisinger in that article.

Since I don’t speak any German, finding the literature that was cited and then trying to translate it would be extremely difficult for me.

On Mindat, I got a response from “Ger Steinn” (2015)

“The article you cited was published in the semi-scientific and non-public magazine “Der Aufschluss”. This magazine is only delivered to members of the biggest german mineralogical/geological association ‘Vereinigung der Freunde der Mineralogie und Geologie e.v.’ “

“At their website you can search for the table of contents from their early years 1950-1969. Unfortunately, later years are not available yet.”

“There is only one article of Mr. H. Deisinger regarding a location in Austria, published in 1968”

Deisinger, H. 1968, Der Auernig bei Mallnitz - einst und heute: Aufschluss, v. 19 (3), s. 68 [The Auernig near Mallnitz – once and today]

I am providing some pictures of the labels and the minerals as a chance that maybe somebody could give me some more background information on this collector. Thanks!

References cited:

Hayhurst, B., and Mathias, R.,1982, Zeolite mineral group bibliography: U.S. Department of the Interior Geological Survey, Open-file Report 82-715.

Deisinger Citation.jpg
 Description:
The citation index in Hayhurst and Mathias (1982)
 Viewed:  22302 Time(s)

Deisinger Citation.jpg

000_7747.JPG
 Description:
An example of "H. Deisinger's" (Heinz Deisinger) labels
 Viewed:  22332 Time(s)

000_7747.JPG

000_7751.JPG
 Description:
Another example of "H. Deisinger's" (Heinz Deisinger) labels.
 Viewed:  22329 Time(s)

000_7751.JPG

0418260001425416145.jpg
 Mineral: Stibnite
 Locality:
Baia Sprie Mine, Baia Sprie, Maramures, Romania
 Dimensions: 10 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm
 Description:
This is a cabinet specimen of thin needlelike crystals of stibnite on a calcite matrix from Baia Sprie, Maramures County, Romania. This specimen was in the former collection of “H. Deisinger” (Heinz Deisinger?).
 Viewed:  22300 Time(s)

0418260001425416145.jpg

0851278001409670564.jpg
 Mineral: Marcasite, Calcite
 Locality:
Christiane Mine, Adorf, Diemelsee, Waldeck-Frankenberg District, Hesse/Hessen, Germany
 Dimensions: 9 cm x 4 cm x 6 cm
 Description:
This is a cabinet specimen of marcasite with opaque calcite crystals from the Christiane Mine, Hesse, Germany. According to the Mindat.org page for this locality, the Christiane Mine was a former iron mine that was abandoned in 1963. This specimen was formerly in the collection of “H. Deisinger” (Heinz Deisinger?).
 Viewed:  22304 Time(s)

0851278001409670564.jpg

06852940014440706582537.jpg
 Mineral: Stilbite - Ca, Heulandite - Ca
 Locality:
St. Andreasberg, St. Andreasberg mining area, Goslar District, Harz, Lower Saxony/Niedersachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 6.3 cm x 3.4 cm x 6 cm
 Description:
This is a small cabinet specimen of Stilbite-Ca and Heulandite-Ca from the St. Andreasburg District, Harz, Lower Saxony, Germany. This specimen was in the former collection of “H. Deisinger” (Heinz Deisinger?).When most people think of zeolite minerals, the quarries of India, New Jersey, United States, and the Pacific northwest come readily to mind. Germany however has also produced zeolites as well, but they were never common.
 Viewed:  22331 Time(s)

06852940014440706582537.jpg

08941350014440709366240.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz, Baryte
 Locality:
Schneeberg District, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 6.7 cm x 6.8 cm x 3.5 cm
 Description:
This is a small cabinet specimen of quartz and baryte from the Schneeberg District, Erzgebirge, Saxony, Germany. This specimen was in the former collection of “H. Deisinger” (Heinz Deisinger?).

This specimen shows a quartz druse over existing baryte crystals. I haven’t seen very many specimens from this locality offered at shows, so I am assuming that this is a fairly uncommon association from this locality. Many of the crystals do show damage, but it is interesting nonetheless.
 Viewed:  22297 Time(s)

08941350014440709366240.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2015 10:38    Post subject: Re: "H. Deisinger" Collection  

The Deisinger collection was sold basically by Dave Bunk in Tucson 2009 under the name of "Deisinger collection of Darmstadt".

I have no more infos. Dave or someone related with his business could know more about this collection.

Jamison Brizendine

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2015 11:20    Post subject: Re: "H. Deisinger" Collection  

Thank you Jordi!!

I will try contacting Dave Bunk to see if he has any more information or maybe ask if he could write a reply on this forum.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2016 02:13    Post subject: Re: "H. Deisinger" Collection  

Browsing this thread, I just realized that I also own a Deisinger label and ex. specimen. but unfortunately I don't have further information on Deisinger, I hope Dave Bunk could help you in the meantime?

Deisinger.JPG
 Mineral: Deisinger collection label
 Description:
 Viewed:  19617 Time(s)

Deisinger.JPG

TanzfleckPYRO.JPG
 Mineral: Pyromorphite
 Locality:
Beim Stollen Mine, Tanzfleck, Freihung, Amberg-Sulzbach, Upper Palatinate/Oberpfalz, Bavaria/Bayern, Germany
 Dimensions: Specimen size 5,5 cm
 Description:
Ex. H. Deisinger collection
 Viewed:  19584 Time(s)

TanzfleckPYRO.JPG

TanzfleckX.JPG
 Mineral: Pyromorphite
 Locality:
Beim Stollen Mine, Tanzfleck, Freihung, Amberg-Sulzbach, Upper Palatinate/Oberpfalz, Bavaria/Bayern, Germany
 Dimensions: FOV 3 cm
 Description:
Ex. H. Deisinger collection
 Viewed:  19585 Time(s)

TanzfleckX.JPG

Jamison Brizendine

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2016 07:20    Post subject: Re: "H. Deisinger" Collection  

I emailed Dave Bunk again and he responded last night, I thought I would share the email I received:

Hello Jamison,

Sorry I never got back with you on this. I purchased the collection with Stefan Stolte of Frankfurt, and I just spoke with him about it. Unfortunately he has no pertinent information for you. It sounds like it might be the same guy that wrote the article you’re referencing, but I can’t confirm that.

Sorry I can’t be of more help to you. I certainly value provenance on specimens as well.

Dave

and Tobi...that is very nice pyromorphite by the way...

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: