We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 02:54

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2009
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2009 17:00    Post subject: Tucson Show 2009 - (20)  

Barcelona 02/16/2009

This is my last batch of photos from the Main Show. The next post will have the main novelties including the new exciting Russian Cuprites.

More to come...

Tucson 2009 - Funny Oddities.jpg
 Description:
In the year of the "oddities" the funniest case was this one, with the miner's feet outside a Fluorite-Quartz box from Morocco. At right another pseudo of Quartz after Fluorite whose painting was used this year in the ads of the M.Zinn Shows, as the painting inside the case shows.
 Viewed:  19821 Time(s)

Tucson 2009 - Funny Oddities.jpg

Tucson 2009 - Fine cuprian Adamite.jpg
 Description:
An other fine jewel from the Scott Rudolph and Keith Proctor, a sharp and intensely colored cuprian Adamite.
 Viewed:  19809 Time(s)

Tucson 2009 - Fine cuprian Adamite.jpg

Tucson 2009 - Einstein.jpg
 Description:
In the show cases of the Main Show also modest specimens are exhibited, frequently with the same or more interest than the big rocks. This one is an old friend, a Stilbite surrounded by Mordenite. Everybody said when they saw it: Einstein! and finally Patsy Schmidt from Mineral Miner got it and exhibited it at the Main. Funny destiny for a a funny rock!
 Viewed:  19904 Time(s)

Tucson 2009 - Einstein.jpg

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2009 13:42    Post subject: Tucson Show 2009 - (21)  

Barcelona 02/18/2009

Time for the Tucson 2009 main novelty that in my opinion are the new Cuprite specimens associated to Copper with Silver (halfbreed, like Michigan) and some other mineral species, like Cerussite.
In the last issue of the nice Russian magazine Mineral Observer, they already commented this novelty but as the magazine appeared just before the show, the minerals arrived to us before the news about its existence.
What can I say?. The Cuprite crystals are large (4-5 cm. the bigger ones) and although not gemmy, them have an excellent luster, and also them appear occasionally in a very interesting matrix of a kind of Copper-Silver halfbreed with other minerals related, like Cerussite!. Them are not better than the best ones of the old times from Congo, but them are really interesting.

As we did two fast photos and we have not too much time to do more or better photos I added also the scanner of the article of the Mineral Observer where some great specimens was photographed.

The Cuprites appeared between July and August of 2008, 100 meters deep, in the new (in fact old, it was a working mine in the past) mine of Rubtsovskoye, located close the Rubtsovsk village, in Altai Kraj, Siberia, Russia. Some other excellent Copper (with and without Silver) appeared there too, and all the stuff came out during 2008. The future is uncertain due the actual low prices of the ore.

The rest of new finds that I saw in Tucson 2009 are:

- New Mica (what member of the Mica family I don't know until we analyze it) with large, black, sharp, complete and fully terminated crystals in an attractive pink Calcite matrix from some place near Rössing Mine, Arandis, Swakopmund, Erongo Region, Namibia.

- Intensely colored and quite gemmy and large Beryl Aquamarine from Kanchanjung, in the Himalayas (East), Nepal, mined during 2008.

- New Olmiite (or Poldervaartite we need to analyze them) from N'Chwaning II, this time different of the previous ones, by their color and shape as well as to be associated to very gemmy crystals of Calcite. Nice combination.

Many other minor things like the Ramsdellites from Arizona or the Braunites from N'Chwaning II.
The Artigas quarries (Uruguay), the volcano Payún Matru (Argentina) area, and the Riemvasmaak area (octahedral green Fluorites) are still prolific producing superb specimens, although Payún Matru seems started a slow decline, hopefully temporarily.

Well, that's all about novelties, these ones together with the others that we already published on this thread, made Tucson 2009 as one of the best in terms of novelties that I remember from long, long, time and it breaks the common feeling of "not novelties" frequent in the past main international shows.

Next and last post will be my final review of Tucson 2009.

More to come...

Tucson 2009 - Cuprite on Copper Russia.jpg
 Description:
Cuprite on Copper from Rubtsovskoye Mine, Rubtsovsk village, Altai Kraj, Siberia, Russia.
3.5 x 1.5 cm
 Viewed:  19500 Time(s)

Tucson 2009 - Cuprite on Copper Russia.jpg

Tucson 2009 - Cuprite Russia.jpg
 Description:
One of the fine Cuprite from Rubtsovskoye Mine. In this case a cluster.
3 x 2 cm
 Viewed:  19422 Time(s)

Tucson 2009 - Cuprite Russia.jpg

Tucson 2009 Mineral Observer.jpg
 Description:
The two pages of the Mineral Observer Magazine ( http://www.minbook.com/ ) with the article about the new Cuprite and Copper from Rubtsovskoye Mine.
 Viewed:  19494 Time(s)

Tucson 2009 Mineral Observer.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2009 11:40    Post subject: Tucson Show 2009 - (22 and final)  

Barcelona 02/22/2009

Tucson 2009 is history, and in some ways it will be historical too, due to the fact that in my opinion and in the opinion of many other people, the age of the easy sales is ended (I mean the times when a cube of Pyrite worth $200 (US) can be sold in a high fashion auction for $20000 (US) . It seems that reality has finally arrived to the mineral market and just as is happening in the worldwide economy, probably nothing will be the same.

Having said that, the situation of the mineral market is not that bad. Many dealers did well in Tucson, businesses are still running and the vast majority of people collecting minerals attended the show and many of them, if not all, spent money buying rocks. So, maybe nothing really upsetting will happen, but a kind of "natural selection" will occur where some people selling minerals will fail and others will stay or even do better.

I disagree with some other opinions that deals were good only for wholesale or world class specimens, with no sales in the middle. From my own experience, there are a lot of collectors still buying specimens with prices between $500-1000 (US). Probably it is not that collectors for pieces in this price range don't exist, but that most collectors consider this amount a serious investment, so they don't want to waste their money buying mediocre specimens and they are becoming much more selective.

Another phenomena that caught my eye in this edition of the Tucson Show was the enthusiasm of a new generation of collectors very well represented by two powerful associations, MAD from Dallas and HAMS from Houston. These two groups can represent a model for other associations, such as a new one recently created in Washington. The Spann's, just to name two members of the MAD group, are fresh blood and with their enthusiasm and energy they are supplying a new vision to the hobby, and the good news is that they not are alone, other new collectors like them are being attracted to the hobby, and if they stay the future looks promising.

Last thing. For a serious mineral collector, the Tucson Show is actually divided into three shows: Marty Zinn and other motels, Westward Look and the Main (Club) Show. To do all of them people need at least two weeks, and this is not affordable for the majority. So, people tend to concentrate their efforts on the last days. If they miss the Westward Look or some Hotel/Motel dealers that is okay with them, they will still see enough minerals and their stay will have a reasonable duration, instead of two to three crazy weeks.
I also consider the show too long, so I have decided to shorten my show, and next year I will open my room in the InnSuites four days late, beginning Tuesday February 2. Everybody says that the Tucson Show is too long, I agree, and so I will cut the length of my participation. I have wanted to do this for two years, but the arrival of Joan Rosell changed everything. Now with Joan out, I will do what I wanted to do.

Jordi

Tucson 2009 - Mica from Namibia .jpg
 Description:
Tucson 2009 novelty. New Mica (what member of the Mica family I don't know until we analyze it).
Complete and fully terminated crystals in Calcite matrix, from some place near Rössing Mine, Arandis, Swakopmund, Erongo Region, Namibia. Mined in 2008.
Specimen size: 6 x 5 x 4 cm.
 Viewed:  19126 Time(s)

Tucson 2009 - Mica from Namibia .jpg

Tucson 2009 - Pezzotta & White & Jordi.jpg
 Description:
Two very interesting guys, Federico Pezzotta and John White, with a hard worker (me).
Federico is an Italian scientific, he discovered the mineral species Pezzottaite and he is always doing research, mostly in Madagascar, Malawi and Isola da Elba. He is also one of the authors of a recent book about the amazing collection of minerals Adalberto Giazotto, collection that it was donated and that it will be displayed very soon in the extremely nice city of Firenze.
 Viewed:  19092 Time(s)

Tucson 2009 - Pezzotta & White & Jordi.jpg

Tucson 2009 - Cristalli, l'ordine dal caos.jpg
 Description:
This is the mentioned book.
 Viewed:  19135 Time(s)

Tucson 2009 - Cristalli, l'ordine dal caos.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2009 13:47    Post subject: Tucson Show 2009 (addenda)  

Barcelona 03/11/2009

A final and short note just to announce that the analysis we made, proved that the new Mica from Namibia is Phlogopite and that the mineral associated to the Chinese Vesuvianite is Diopside.
Also, the material related to the new Moroccan Azurites is a mix of clay, limestone powder and submicrocrystalline copper phosphates, so nothing crystallized nor a mineral species.

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: