We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 05:45

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2016
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jean Sendero

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2016 08:44    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2016  

Two weeks after the end of the show, these are my thoughts. Contrary to the past 6 shows, I arrived on the Thursday, opening day of the Main Show. The previous years, I would start when everything opened and tour most of the venues trying to uncover the new Mexican finds. But this year, I basically only attended the Main Show on Saturday and Sunday, some social events and got a very small taste of the Tucson City Hotel venue closing.

I landed in the morning of Thursday the 11th and went directly to the TCH show of Marty Zinn. I only could spare an hour or so to do a quick tour. I had to attend company business in the afternoon and most of the day Friday. When I arrived at the TCH, it was a ghost town, plenty of parking available, which is normally the case on opening day of the Main show organized by the Tucson Gem and Mineral Society. But what surprised me more, half, may be more, of the dealers had already packed up. The ones that were left were tired, some happy, others cynical. Sales have been good for some, terrible for others. I managed to find three new specimens. 1) Fluorite from the San Diego mine in the Santa Barbara District in Chihuahua, 2) Baryte from Milpillas that will end up a super specimen damage free (needs to be trimmed) and 3) chalcedony after aragonite from Rancho Coyamito in Chihuahua. These are great pseudomorphs. The first I saw of these was last year at the Main Show in the case of Si and Ann Frasier.

After returning from work, I had a few appointments that kindly came to my hotel. These ended up with the purchase of a 6 new specimens for the collection. Afterwards, I was fortunate to be invited to the FMF and Spann paella fiesta which I attended with somewhat major jet lag. Always a super party, and I ended up meeting a bunch of new mineral aficionados. Before heading to work on Friday, an early meeting at a friend's place ended up with another 5 specimens including a killer miniature Calcite (Mn) from Mina San Martin in Zacatecas. Friday evening was great. Friends, food, wine and plenty of Mexican minerals. Heaven in Tucson.

So not even to the Main show yet and 14 specimens already acquired. Aside from the San Diego Fluorite mentioned above and a whopper Palmarejo calcite (another one), all are from older finds or recycled collections. Nothing that could be considered a “new find”.

Here we are, Saturday morning, entering the Main Show. The following will be my view on the show with a bias view on the Mexican content.
Mexican specimens offered for sale were not abundant other than specialized dealers such as Casa del Cobre which is dominantly marketing Milpillas specimens. Specimen no. 15 was acquired there, it was dear but….now I am happy with my suite of specimens from Milpillas. Although, I am still looking for a good cuprite and volborthite.

Other dealers had the usual stuff. Adamite, San Pedro Mimetite, the odd Legrandite, etc…..I saw plenty of specimens that I consider old friends. Not because I owned them but because they are still on the shelves, for sale, with the same dealer after being there for several years. So this will be my only comment on prices…..Not all specimens have to be in the 5 digits or even 4 digits. Few should be in the 5 digits and above. Let’s be realistic….. Common sense needs to prevail.

The one spectacular specimen that I saw this year, and I do not have a photo of it, was a damage free specimen of only Pyrargyrite from Mina San Jose in Oaxaca that was 5 cm tall. The price was high but the specimen was unique.

So following, are the exhibits with the Mexican minerals. Milpillas azurite, could have been ubiquitous but surprisingly, they were not.

I left Tucson with 19 new specimens, a big hole in my wallet, but happy. Looking externally, my overall impression was less energy at the show this year than the previous years. Nothing really new from Mexico. Despite the economic downturn, we still see stupid prices on ordinary specimens, lack of pricing consistency, and the overall aging population of the hobby. Looking at the posts and walking around, where are the younger people?

As Jordi wrote above: “Something is changing in Tucson”

Cheers and enjoy my top 10 Mexican specimens of the show and a few other mentions.

Jean

Top 1 - Rock Currier Stephanite.jpg
 Mineral: Stephanite
 Locality:
Mina Chispas, Arizpe, Municipio de Arizpe, Sonora, Sonora, Mexico
 Description:
In the Rock Currier cases. This specimen won the Romero trophy at this year show.
 Viewed:  12993 Time(s)

Top 1 - Rock Currier Stephanite.jpg

Top 2 - Miguel Portillo Volborthite.jpg
 Mineral: Volborthite with azurite
 Locality:
Milpillas Mine, Cuitaca, Municipio Santa Cruz, Sonora, Mexico
 Description:
 Viewed:  12662 Time(s)

Top 2 - Miguel Portillo Volborthite.jpg

Top 3 - Jason New Barite.jpg
 Mineral: Barite on epidote with quartz
 Locality:
Piedra Parada (Las Vigas), Municipio Tatatila, Veracruz (Veracruz de Ignacio de la Llave), Mexico
 Description:
Jason New had a case full of super Mexican specimens. Some had been previously displayed, I believe in 2010.
 Viewed:  12815 Time(s)

Top 3 - Jason New Barite.jpg

Top 4 - Jason New Mottramite.jpg
 Mineral: Mottramite
 Locality:
Ojuela Mine, Mapimí, Municipio Mapimí, Durango, Mexico
 Description:
Another one from Jason New case. We have seen a lot of Mottramite from Mapimi but this piece is flawless. A beauty
 Viewed:  12804 Time(s)

Top 4 - Jason New Mottramite.jpg

Top 5 - Gail Spann Tea Pot Adamite Cu.jpg
 Mineral: Adamite
 Locality:
 Description:
In the Tea pot case. Superb Adamite (Cu)
 Viewed:  12726 Time(s)

Top 5 - Gail Spann Tea Pot Adamite Cu.jpg

Top 6 - Forgot the case owner Chrysocolla.jpg
 Mineral: Chrysocolla included in quartz
 Locality:
Concepción del Oro, Municipio Concepción del Oro, Zacatecas, Mexico
 Description:
Forgot in which case I saw this one but this is not a common sight.
 Viewed:  12920 Time(s)

Top 6 - Forgot the case owner Chrysocolla.jpg

Top 7 - Novice case Bournonite.jpg
 Mineral: Bournonite
 Locality:
Noche Buena Mine, Noche Buena, Municipio Mazapil, Zacatecas, Mexico
 Description:
In one of the novice competition cases. I liked it. Unsure about the locality, it seems to be a Noche Buena bournonite
 Viewed:  12701 Time(s)

Top 7 - Novice case Bournonite.jpg

Top 8 - unknown case Adamite.jpg
 Mineral: Adamite
 Locality:
 Description:
In one of the competitive cases
 Viewed:  12730 Time(s)

Top 8 - unknown case Adamite.jpg

Top 9 - Rock Currier Wulfenite.jpg
 Mineral: Wulfenite
 Locality:
San Francisco Mine, Cerro Prieto, Cucurpe, Municipio Cucurpe, Sonora, Mexico
 Dimensions: Approx. 4 cm on edge, may be more
 Description:
A perfect window pane, no damage, translucent
 Viewed:  12655 Time(s)

Top 9 - Rock Currier Wulfenite.jpg

Top 10 - Boleite.jpg
 Mineral: Boleite
 Locality:
Amelia Mine, Santa Rosalía (El Boleo), Boleo District, Municipio Mulegé, Baja California Sur, Mexico
 Dimensions: Crystal is exceeding 1 cm easy
 Description:
 Viewed:  12698 Time(s)

Top 10 - Boleite.jpg

Meta Case with minerals named after members.jpg
 Description:
Minerals named after people is always a great recognition to these individuals of their contributions to mineralogy. Here in the META case we can see members with minerals named after them. Super.
 Viewed:  12780 Time(s)

Meta Case with minerals named after members.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

bob kerr

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2016 16:01    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2016  

In the above previous post, Jean Sendero provided a photo of the incredible San Francisco mine wulfenite "window" that was in one of the Rock Currier cases. The window is huge and i thought i'd provide another photo from a different perspective that may show it's size better. There's a perkey box in the photo and the Aqua next to it is over 30cm!!

bob

DSCN4561.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Jean's estimate of 4cm across the top is a pretty good one. "Huge" is another good descriptive ajective.
 Viewed:  12523 Time(s)

DSCN4561.JPG

DSCN4563a.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
incredible agua next to that huge San Francisco Wulfenite
 Viewed:  12556 Time(s)

DSCN4563a.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours