We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)
11 Apr-22:02:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Apr-14:59:55 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
10 Apr-09:05:31 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-08:08:58 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Apr-07:54:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-07:44:49 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
10 Apr-05:49:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:46:01 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:38:13 Re: collection of carles millan (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:34:12 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:19:03 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
10 Apr-03:51:13 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 16, 2024 01:12

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
More virtual mineralogical trips through different countries?

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2016 08:14    Post subject: More virtual mineralogical trips through different countries?  

Under the leadership of grandmaster Jordi, we have established virtual "mineralogical trips" through the USA, the UK and Germany, where we try to amass as many pictures as possible of minerals from that country:

United States: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewforum.php?f=25
United Kingdom: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewforum.php?f=47
Good Old Germany: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewforum.php?f=56

There are many other countries in this world that are very mineral-rich and that have a long mining history, e.g. Russia, Austria, Spain, France, Italy, Romania, Switzerland, Mexico, China, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Brazil, Peru, Morocco, Namibia, just to name the most prominent. How about some more virtual trips through some of those countries here on FMF? All we need is some time and effort and mineral photos from our collections and from museums ...

Just an idea, but I'd like to have more than "only" three countries documented that way :-)

Tobi
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gerhard Brandstetter

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2016 11:40    Post subject: Re: More virtual mineralogical trips through different countries?  

Would be a nice idea! I am always curious about other localitis with interesting minerals. I have been relativly inactive for a while but never lost my interest about this nice forum. If some folks are interested i could offer a couple of photos for upcoming threads - specially minerals from Austria, Czech Republic, Romania and others too of course.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2016 12:01    Post subject: Re: More virtual mineralogical trips through different countries?  

OK fellows, I take your words. Please give me two or three weeks and I will come back to you. On the meantime if someone wants to participate in the task to create new threads for mineralogical trips please let us know in this same thread. Is not too much work but it demands the responsibility to take care of it as Tobi does with the "Mineralogical trip through Germany"

Tobi, James, on the meantime could you please explain here the basics that the responsible of every thread should do and what they should supply to me?

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2016 13:31    Post subject: Re: More virtual mineralogical trips through different countries?  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
OK fellows, I take your words. Please give me two or three weeks and I will come back to you. On the meantime if someone wants to participate in the task to create new threads for mineralogical trips please let us know in this same thread. Is not too much work but it demands the responsibility to take care of it as Tobi does with the "Mineralogical trip through Germany". Tobi, James, on the meantime could you please explain here the basics that the responsible of every thread should do and what they should supply to me?

I want to encourage those who may think about managing such a thread, it takes not too much time and effort: When you decide to manage such a thread, just tell Jordi. He will open such a new thread and give you the rights of a moderator. And after the thread is open, we all can upload pictures. And from my own experiences from the "mineralogical trip through Germany", I can tell you the basics, they're not much and not difficult:

- You should know about the country, its (mining) history, its regions and its minerals
- Write a short introduction about all this, here's my text from the Germany trip:
Tobi wrote:
Located in the center of Europe, Germany is a country with many different regions that have produced a lot of minerals for many centuries. The long mining history of the country started during the middle-ages; with classic mining regions like Black Forest in the south, Erzgebirge in the east ("Erzgebirge" means "Ore Mountains"!), Siegerland in the west, Harz Mountains in the north, or the giant fluorspar district of Woelsendorf in Bavaria becoming famous for their large occurrences of ore minerals. Altogether the database Mindat lists nearly 1,600 different mineral species that occur in Germany (2013), today most of Germany’s mining areas no longer produce material for industrial use, so many of the treasures from the past became highly desirable among mineral collectors all around the world. This journey through the different mineral-rich regions of Germany tries to demonstrate the diversity of rocks that came out of the country’s mines and quarries. Everyone is invited to add to this journey with pictures and descriptions of their own specimens!

- Send Jordi data with the ensign of the country and the emblems of its regions, he will embed them into the thread
- Take some care of the thread, which means that you look if all the entries are correct and complete (each entry should include a good photo, the name of the mineral species, the size of the specimen and the name of the locality)
- To keep up the good quality of our work, all the locality names should match the Mindat.org standards (e.g. "Basalt Quarry, Malscheid, Herdorf, Siegerland, Rhineland-Palatinate/Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany", not "Mahlscheid, Germany")

That's it :)

Tobi

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2016 13:53    Post subject: Re: More virtual mineralogical trips through different countries?  

Tobi wrote:
...When you decide to manage such a thread, just tell Jordi...

- Send Jordi data with the ensign of the country and the emblems of its regions, he will embed them into the thread...

If you don't care and considering the unlimited amount of work that I always have managing FMF, please send all these data not to me but to Tobi, he will filter the info as well as answer easy questions and after his filtering he will pass to me the task already "cleaned" ;-)

Thank you in advance

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2016 14:06    Post subject: Re: More virtual mineralogical trips through different countries?  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Tobi wrote:
...When you decide to manage such a thread, just tell Jordi...
- Send Jordi data with the ensign of the country and the emblems of its regions, he will embed them into the thread...
If you don't care and considering the unlimited amount of work that I always have managing FMF, please send all these data not to me but to Tobi, he will filter the info as well as answer easy questions and after his filtering he will pass to me the task already "cleaned" ;-) Thank you in advance

Sorry Jordi, I forgot to mention:
- Please don't badger Jordi with your requests or your data, he has a lot of other things to to and it may take some time until he responds :)
- You can also contact me, maybe I can also help you ;-) And don't forget our other moderators ;-)

Really sorry, Jordi, didn't mean to put pressure on you!

Tobi

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: