We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 15:03

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
How are these display shelves made?

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

clarkymk

PostPosted: May 07, 2016 02:47    Post subject: How are these display shelves made?  

i would like to make some inserts for my cabinet to elevate some of the specimens.
does ayone know where do these white boxes come from and how they are made?

mineral shelf.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  14630 Time(s)

mineral shelf.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 07, 2016 05:08    Post subject: Re: how are these display shelves made?  

I don't know how these certain shelves on the photo are made, but there is not only one way to build such a kind of display. You need some solid material like wood that you have to arrange in different levels, maybe stable cardboard boxes will do the job as well. And then you need a layer of something that covers the solid material and covers gaps, that looks dull and unobtrusive and doesn't detract from the mineral specimens you want to present. I recommend some white or pale grey drapery. And of course, if you can afford a lot of money, you will always find a professional manufacturer who offers such things ;-)

Hope I could help :)

Tobi

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 07, 2016 06:24    Post subject: Re: How are these display shelves made?  

An inexpensive way to do this is to buy styrofoam in large linear pieces of various desired thicknesses and cut or have them cut to size. They are then covered with an attractive cloth. Very simple.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 07, 2016 06:28    Post subject: Re: How are these display shelves made?  

These are very easy to make and are called "risers".
The simplest is as your picture shows a simple straight length of riser from one end of the case to the other. Carefully (!) measure your case from the inside of one end to the inside of the other. Very careful measurement is important as the riser will not fit if the measurement is even a fraction of an inch/centimeter too long. Then go to your nearest lumber yard and have them cut a proper length of light weight and inexpensive wood (usually from the scrap pile) for you. Go to a craft store and get a sheet of velvet of any color that your minerals would look good upon. Cover the wood with the velvet and there you have it.

The trick is to become creative. High or wide risers, triangle shaped risers at the back corners of your case. Different color velvet coverings (black or dark purple/blue) always go well with many colorful minerals. All very easy to do and enhance any display case. Besides wood, you might start using covered cardboard or plastic boxes; anything that can be covered and supports a mineral specimen is fair game for use in a display case. CHEERS.......BOB

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: May 09, 2016 10:23    Post subject: Re: How are these display shelves made?  

Risers can be made out of wood (heavier) or various types of Styrofoam and then covered or painted. I have used some of these spray paints that simulate stone and provide a bit of texture. I have also used rough sawn mine timbers for bases - heaviest of the bases I have used.

Styrofoam works well and you can go from the foam available at Home Depot of Lowe's (relatively inexpensive) to very high density foam used for shipping (more expensive). You will need to have it cut where you buy it, unless you have a table saw (messy) or a hot wire cutter.

Then it is just finding the color and texture of material you want to use. Burlap has a lot of texture and works well for larger specimens but probably not thumbnails. Get a material that has a little stretch to it. Start by securing one side of the fabric to the back of the base with pins, white glue and duct tape. Then the opposite end and do the same.

If you send me a personal message I can provide you with additional information.

Reinhardt van Vuuren

PostPosted: May 10, 2016 05:13    Post subject: Re: How are these display shelves made?  

The white box on the right is a large egg box usually made from recycled cardboard and is available at your local grocer. haha couldn't resist the temptation.

On a more serious note my 5 cents is that if you decide to cut it from a Styrofoam block I've heard local crafters say they use a steel guitar string that they heat with the flame of a candle, seems to be the best/cheapest way for them.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 10, 2016 08:13    Post subject: Re: How are these display shelves made?  

You could also use MDF (medium density fibreboard) as that is easy to shape and takes a good matt paint finish? The version I have has the shelves fitted together with a hinge on the top shelf. So I can store boxes under the shelves (clearly before adding the specimens themselves). That way the boxes are stored with their specimens.

clarkymk

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2016 10:20    Post subject: Re: How are these display shelves made?  

I finally got around to making them. thanks everyone!

this is my shelf of chinese minerals.

chinese minerals.JPG
 Mineral: pyromorphite, quartz, aragonite, cinnabar, azurite, malachite, brochantite, spessartine, schorl, barite.
 Locality:
China
 Description:
my collection of chinese minerals
 Viewed:  13135 Time(s)

chinese minerals.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2016 02:36    Post subject: Re: How are these display shelves made?  

clarkymk wrote:
I finally got around to making them. thanks everyone! this is my shelf of chinese minerals.
Looks good, why not in larger resolution?

clarkymk

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2016 08:15    Post subject: Re: How are these display shelves made?  

the photo? sorry, i took it on my phone. i've been making a few more shelves today so i'll charge my camera and upload higher quality pictures of them.

clarkymk

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2016 11:06    Post subject: Re: How are these display shelves made?  

i hope this is a little better.

DSCF2611.JPG
 Mineral: minerals from africa.
 Description:
namibia, morocco, zaire, south africa
shelf is 40x30cm
some of my minerals from africa.
 Viewed:  12937 Time(s)

DSCF2611.JPG

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1