We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 03:46

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Panasqueira Mine

Index -> Mineralogical Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2014 17:12    Post subject: Panasqueira Mine  

I just received the Jan/Feb. issue of Mineral Record in today's mail and was excited to see an article about the Panasqueira Mine in it. I was even more delighted when I saw that it was co-authored by Jordi. As is my usual habit, I put everything else aside and read the magazine from cover to cover. Congratulations to Carles Curto Milà and Jordi on an excellent article about this wonderful locality. I also greatly enjoyed Jordi's reminiscences of his early buying trips there; not only were they humorous, but they serve to point out what lengths mineral dealers will go to get the goods.

Well done, Jordi and Carles.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2014 17:42    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine article in Mineralogical Record  

Hello,
I look forward to receiving the January / Feb issue of MR
Panasqueira is a locality that I love from my youth.
Thank you Jordi and Carles for sharing your experience.
Attached, an apatite Panasqueira under UV light at 365 nm.
enjoy it.
Roger.

Apatite_365_R.jpg
 Description:
Apatite
Panasqueira, Portugal
7 cm high
UV / 365 nm.
 Viewed:  50687 Time(s)

Apatite_365_R.jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2014 18:56    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine article in Mineralogical Record  

Dear Jordi and Carles,

Congratulations on the well written and illustrated article on the Panasqueira Mines in the January- February issue of the Min Rec. It was a real treat to read.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Don

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2014 13:32    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine article in Mineralogical Record  

Great article! And, Roger, love the photo of the multiple colors of luminescence in the apatite.

Carles Curto

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2014 01:42    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine article in Mineralogical Record  

Thanks to all, but this article would not exist without the great work of Tom Moore and Wendell Wilson.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2014 23:36    Post subject: Panasqueira Mine article in Mineralogical Record - Thank you  

Thanks to everybody, but it is Carles who really deserves the compliments, he made this the job of his life! ;-)

About the tales, yes, they are my reminiscences, and I still have a hidden surprise. I wrote a tale for each specimen in my collection, how I got it and the circumstances surrounding each "hunt," a kind of "mini-tale" for each photo. Of course the layout of the publication doesn't allow the addition of such a long text in the photo's caption, but I kept these texts as well as the original photos, so if I can reach an agreement with Wendell Wilson to publish (in the far future) these texts and photos, I will do it. Of course, my compromise is with the Mineralogical Record and only when the timing is convenient (it could take years) then maybe I will complete the funny part of this article with new implausible histories... ;-)

Fluorapatite - Panasqueira_Portugal.jpg
 Description:
Fluorapatite
Minas da Panasqueira, Aldeia de São Francisco de Assis, Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Cova da Beira, Centro, Portugal
11 x 10.5 x 9 cm
Main crystal 3 x 2.3 cm
 Viewed:  50385 Time(s)

Fluorapatite - Panasqueira_Portugal.jpg

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2014 01:55    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine article in Mineralogical Record  

Thank you Jordi.
What elegance that this apatite has. WOW !
Roger.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2014 09:45    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine article in Mineralogical Record  

Roger Warin wrote:
Thank you Jordi.
what elegance that has this apatite. WOW !
Roger.

Agreed! It's a beautiful specimen.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2014 13:01    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine article in Mineralogical Record  

Just got my copy (it takes a while to get to the UK) and I am in the process of reading the article, but I have not yet finished it. So far it is great Carles.

Juan F. Buelga

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2014 03:44    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine article in Mineralogical Record  

Great article. Congratulations to the authors.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2014 17:31    Post subject: Panasqueira Mine  

As many of you already know, Carles Curto and I recently published a large article about the Panasqueira mining area in the magazine Mineralogical Record : The Mineralogical Record, January-February 2014, Volume 45, Number 1, pages 11-55, "The Panasqueira mines, Castelo Branco district, Portugal" and even more recently, another article, also large and also about the Panasqueira mining area in the German magazine Lapis: Weiß, S., Fabre, J. & Mila, C. C. (2014): Panasqueira, Portugal: Wolframit, Zinnstein und prächtige Apatite. Lapis, 39 (7/8), 16-29; Weiß, S. & Fabre, J. (2014): Panasqueira: Mineralien für Kenner - von A bis Z. Lapis, 39 (7/8), 30-53; Mila, C.C., Salvan, C.M. & Fabre, J. (2014): Panasqueira: Neufunde und Neubestimmungen. Lapis, 39 (7/8), 54-63. (check: https://www.lapis.de/aktuelles/editorial/238-editorial-62015)
Previously, we had also published one more article about the Apatites from Panasqueira in the magazine ExtraLapis "Apatite: the great pretender".

With these items we generated a lot of information about this great mining area, but some personal stories with photos of individual specimens were not published since the format of the magazines cannot incorporate such long texts with the photos. However, the online format does allow for pubication of these personal stories, mostly mine, that I believe allows a better understanding of this mine. I hope you like what we will publish from now.

Arsenopyrite with Sphalerite, Siderite and Quartz. 12.5 x 6.5x 6 cm. Mined in 1983.

I bought it to Senhor H. Senhor H was the most sophisticated seller in Panasqueira and a regular secret supplier of great specimens to Señor Folch. Unfortunately for me he retired a few years after I started to deal in Panasqueira minerals, so I did not have the chance to deal with him much with the exception of a few notable specimens like this one. The siderite on this specimen is cute; it looks like elongated fluorapatites and they are frequently labeled as such. But they are just an odd polysynthetic growth of siderite crystals...

Text revised by James Catmur. Thank you James!

Sphalerite with Arsenopyrite 12.5x6.5x6.jpg
 Mineral: Sphalerite with Arsenopyrite, Siderite and Quartz
 Locality:
Minas da Panasqueira, level 1, Aldeia de São Francisco de Assis, Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Cova da Beira, Centro, Portugal
 Dimensions: 12.5 x 6.5x 6 cm
 Description:
On page 18 of the article "The Panasqueira mines, Castelo Branco district, Portugal" published in The Mineralogical Record.

Jordi Deusedes/Jordi Fabre photo
 Viewed:  47761 Time(s)

Sphalerite with Arsenopyrite 12.5x6.5x6.jpg

Pedro Alves

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2014 06:35    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine  

Hello all,
Whenever I hear/read about Panasqueira, I feel a great pride in my country, although we have many other interesting locations.
For Panasqueira lovers I'll just add a new species for this locality: Florencite-(Ce).

As soon as possible I'll write a brief note on the subject.

Cheers,
Pedro Alves

florencite.jpg
 Mineral: Florencite-(Ce)
 Locality:
Minas da Panasqueira, Aldeia de São Francisco de Assis, Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Cova da Beira, Centro, Portugal
 Dimensions: 0,298 mm
 Description:
Florencite-(Ce) crystal with re-crystallization patterns.
 Viewed:  47564 Time(s)

florencite.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2014 11:32    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine  

Pedro Alves wrote:
...For Panasqueira lovers I'll just add a new species for this locality: Florencite-(Ce).

As soon as possible I'll write a brief note on the subject...

Great addition Pedro, congratulations. We wait for your note!

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2014 14:04    Post subject: Panasqueira Mine - Chalcopyrite on Ferberite  

See: Panasqueira Mine

Chalcopyrite with Ferberite and Stannite. 10 x 6.5 x 6 cm. Chalcopyrite crystal size: 5.5 x 5 cm. Mined in 1989

A very large and very sharp crystal of Chalcopyrite on Ferberite, partially coated with tiny Stannite crystals. Based on my knowledge, this is one of the best and larger Chalcopyrite crystal from Panasqueira. Mined in 1989, I bought it from Senhor X (see "Wild Panasquiera - A Memoir" in the Record's article) and without a doubt it is one of the best memories I have of him.
After analysis we noticed recently that many of the tinny grey-blackish crystals coating part of the Chalcopyrite crystals of Panasqueira could be Stannite, as they are in this case, so even better! ;-)

Chalcopyrite with Ferberite 10x6.5x6-6.5x5.5.jpg
 Mineral: Chalcopyrite with Ferberite and Stannite
 Locality:
Minas da Panasqueira, level 2, Aldeia de São Francisco de Assis, Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Cova da Beira, Centro, Portugal
 Dimensions: 10 x 6.5 x 6 cm
 Description:
On page 23 of the article "The Panasqueira mines, Castelo Branco district, Portugal" published in The Mineralogical Record.

Photo: Jordi Deusedes/Jordi Fabre
 Viewed:  47104 Time(s)

Chalcopyrite with Ferberite 10x6.5x6-6.5x5.5.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2015 15:57    Post subject: Panasqueira Mine - Iridescent Arsenopyrite  

Iridescent Arsenopyrite with Muscovite and Calcite-Dolomite. 14.5 x 12 x 5.7 cm. Largest Arsenopyrite crystal size 4 x 1 cm. Mined in 1990

These iridescent Arsenopyrites are not frequent but also not that rare in Panasqueira and although some people believed them to be fake, they are natural. They appeared in the mine with these colors, probably due some "redox" process. Actually their color is generally not as iridescent/colorful as this specimen, but some Arsenopyrites and even Pyrites with lower bluish, reddish and yellowish colors appeared there from time to time.
It was mined about 1990 and in the second level of the mine.

Arsenopyrite iridescent - Minas da Panasqueira_Aldeia de Sao Francisco de Assis_Covilha_Castelo Branco_Cova da Beira_Centro_Portugal.jpg
 Mineral: Arsenopyrite
 Locality:
Minas da Panasqueira, level 2, Aldeia de São Francisco de Assis, Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Cova da Beira, Centro, Portugal
 Dimensions: 14.5 x 12 x 5.7 cm. Largest Arsenopyrite crystal size 4 x 1 cm
 Description:
On page 20 of the article "The Panasqueira mines, Castelo Branco district, Portugal" published in The Mineralogical Record.

Viewed:  46583 Time(s)

Arsenopyrite iridescent - Minas da Panasqueira_Aldeia de Sao Francisco de Assis_Covilha_Castelo Branco_Cova da Beira_Centro_Portugal.jpg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2015 03:04    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine  

Very pretty specimen and interesting article! (Arsenopyrite)

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Vitaliy

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2015 14:21    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine  

Really interesting Chalcopyrite on Ferberite. From the Angle it was hard to tell if it was Chalcopyrite or another mineral possibly due to the coating on it creating an illusion of transparency.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2015 09:42    Post subject: Panasqueira Mine - A single crystal of Cassiterite  

Cassiterite with Arsenopyrite, Siderite and Muscovite.
Specimen size: 4.9 x 4.5 x 4.8 cm. Cassiterite crystal size 2.8 x 2.7 cm. Mined about 1980

One of the nicest single crystals of Cassiterite from Panasqueira that I know of. A photo of it was published (a close up) in 1997 in the currently defunct Bocamina magazine on page 10 of the "Panasqueira" issue. It is associated with Arsenopyrite, Siderite and Muscovite and it is complete also on its rear. I bought it in 1980 from the Senhor X (see "Wild Panasqueira" in the article in the Mineralogical Record). It was my first serious purchase from him and after it I felt in love with him (true love, not the same kind of love of the "ladies" he had... ;-)

A story related to it: the appraisal in 1980 of this specimen in my files is 12.000 pesetas = 73 Euros and it was made by Señor Folch. Probably you will find the appraisal a little bit low, but the fact is that Señor Folch was interested in obtaining it, and as a result, he probably made his appraisal a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit low! ;-)

Cassiterite single crytal - Minas da Panasqueira_Aldeia de Sao Francisco de Assis_Covilha_Castelo Branco_Cova da Beira_Centro_Portugal.jpg
 Mineral: Cassiterite with Arsenopyrite, Siderite and Muscovite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Specimen size: 4.9 x 4.5 x 4.8 cm. Cassiterite crystal size 2.8 x 2.7 cm.
 Description:
On page 21 of the article "The Panasqueira mines, Castelo Branco district, Portugal" published in The Mineralogical Record.

Viewed:  45089 Time(s)

Cassiterite single crytal - Minas da Panasqueira_Aldeia de Sao Francisco de Assis_Covilha_Castelo Branco_Cova da Beira_Centro_Portugal.jpg

Pedro Alves

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2016 04:37    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine  

Hello all,

the brief note finally published:

Alves, P. (2016) Svanbergita y florencita-(Ce) de la mina Panasqueira (Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Portugal). Acopios 7: 1-8.

Cheers,
Pedro

Linus

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2016 11:01    Post subject: Re: Panasqueira Mine  

Very happy to see the article, thanks Jordi!

Index -> Mineralogical Literature   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: