We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 18:01

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Cechite from Ulldemolins

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Cesar M. Salvan
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2016 20:37    Post subject: Cechite from Ulldemolins  

Cechite is a rare lead-iron vanadate, first described in samples from Alexander mine and the Posepny vein, at Vrancice (Bohemia, Czech Republic) Apart of the scarcity of the mineral, it is not very interesting for collectors (apart of systematic collectors), because it normally occurs as small granular masses or very small, black or dark brown, equant crystals. It's easily confused with goethite when massive and with mottramite or descloizite when it forms crystals. Probably some occurrences have been overlooked due to these similarities.

Cechite gained interest with the finding of very good crystals at the Santiago Mine (María Magdalena Mine), in Ulldemolins (Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain) by collectors from the GMC (Grup Mineralògic Catalá), where it forms well-formed euhedral crystals, usually on fluorite, forming beautiful specimens (for the species).

This is a good opportunity to observe and describe the Raman spectrum of this mineral. Raman spectroscopy is the ideal technique for the fast, reliable and non-destructive identification of vanadates and arsenates of the descloizite-adelite group, even when it forms minute crystals, but the Raman spectrum of cechite was unknown.

I used the good cechite from Ulldemolins to study its spectrum and I decided to publish the result here to spread its spectrum as much described as possible, in order to aid in future identifications of the material. Also, I want to share an interesting feature of the cechite from Ulldemolins: the occurrence of copper-rich crystals, whose study, as far as I know, does not match with any described species. This suggests an interesting structural problem or even a new species.

I present the description here and maybe somebody could add to the discussion, identify mistakes or collaborate to further study the structure and the potential identification of the specie(s) present:

To see this column you have to click on this link or the image:

cechita localidad tipo.jpg
 Mineral: Cechite
 Locality:
Alexander Shaft, Vrančice, Příbram, Central Bohemia Region, Bohemia, Czech Republic
 Dimensions: FOV 1 mm
 Description:
Usual cechite from the type locality. Compare with the cechite from Ulldemolins.
 Viewed:  12666 Time(s)

cechita localidad tipo.jpg

2016-11-16 16-54-35 (C).jpg
 Locality:
Magdalena Mine (Santiago Mine), Lo Fangar (Els Solans) / La Font del Metge, Ulldemolins, Comarca Priorat, Tarragona, Catalonia / Catalunya, Spain
 Dimensions: FOV 5 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  12662 Time(s)

2016-11-16 16-54-35 (C).jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cesar M. Salvan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2016 16:11    Post subject: Re: Cechite  

More images of the interesting cechite with the undefined copper phase (maybe a new mineral?) from Ulldemolins.

In the samples are also present the descloizite-mottramite series, which forms green, very small crystals.

cechite 2016-12-28 21-18-29 (C).jpg
 Locality:
Magdalena Mine (Santiago Mine), Lo Fangar (Els Solans) / La Font del Metge, Ulldemolins, Comarca Priorat, Tarragona, Catalonia / Catalunya, Spain
 Dimensions: FOV 1.5 mm
 Description:
Cechite with copper.
 Viewed:  12486 Time(s)

cechite 2016-12-28 21-18-29 (C).jpg

2016-12-28 21-25-47 (C).jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: FOV 1.5 mm
 Description:
copper-rich cechite
 Viewed:  12511 Time(s)

2016-12-28 21-25-47 (C).jpg

2016-12-28 21-35-50 (C).jpg
 Mineral: Mottramite-Descloizite series
 Locality:
 Dimensions: FOV 1mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  12497 Time(s)

2016-12-28 21-35-50 (C).jpg

descloizita-mottramita.jpg
 Mineral: Mottramite-Descloizite series
 Locality:
 Dimensions: FOV 1 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  12508 Time(s)

descloizita-mottramita.jpg

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2016 01:55    Post subject: Re: Cechite  

Photo 2016-12-28 21-25-47 certainly shows nice xx. I've collected at Vrancice and seen specimens at local Czech shows, but they were always 'black-uglies' without any euhedral xxm to my memory. I'd have to go back to the Mineral Museum to see if they have anything better, but it is currently closed for renovation.

Cesar M. Salvan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2016 07:09    Post subject: Re: Cechite  

Peter Lemkin wrote:
Photo 2016-12-28 21-25-47 certainly shows nice xx. I've collected at Vrancice and seen specimens at local Czech shows, but they were always 'black-uglies' without any euhedral xxm to my memory. I'd have to go back to the Mineral Museum to see if they have anything better, but it is currently closed for renovation.

That's a good point. Indeed, I never saw the cechite in euhedral crystals until now. Always as massive, granular or as much equant or rounded, very small crystals. As far as I know, the cechite from Ulldemolins is the best occurrence for this mineral to date.

But, in the Ulldemolins deposit is the same, anyway: the actually pure cechite, very close to the ideal composition, also forms the usual "black uglies". The euhedral crystals always contains significant copper and shows evidence of an additional mineral phase. Maybe the cechite is just a coating? are there two phases present, as the Raman seems to show? The crystals actually require a deeper study, but in my opinion these crystals are not cechite sensu stricto. It seems to be cechite plus/on something undefined.

cechita ulldemolins copia.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: FOV 4 mm
 Description:
As smaller the size of crystals and less well formed, closer to the cechite ideal composition.
 Viewed:  12427 Time(s)

cechita ulldemolins copia.jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2016 13:10    Post subject: Re: Cechite  

Cesar M. Salvan wrote:
...It seems to be cechite plus/on something undefined.

Maybe former Sphalerite replaced / epimorphic (or coated) by Cechite?

Cesar M. Salvan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2016 05:55    Post subject: Re: Cechite  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Cesar M. Salvan wrote:
...It seems to be cechite plus/on something undefined.

Maybe former Sphalerite replaced / epimorphic (or coated) by Cechite?

I don't think so. I have two hypotheses:

- A crystal of mottramite grown in iron-rich conditions. The iron induced structural changes leading to a shift of the vanadate bands in Raman respect mottramite. Given that a series cechite-mottramite is not possible, there was a phase transition and final stage of crystal growth was cechite. So, formally the crystals would be cechite-coated mottramite. The reversal, i.e. cechite growing incorporating copper until a phase transition, would be possible, but less probable.

- there is an undefined phase present, covered or altered to cechite. This is because I never saw so intense shifts due to substitution in a species.

Anyway, a deeper structural analysis of the crystals is necessary. I can't do it, because I do not have instrumentation for analysis of such small crystals.

Anyway, at collector's label effects, the label cechite for those crystals is incomplete and inaccurate.

Joan Rosell

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2017 10:04    Post subject: Re: Cechite from Ulldemolins  

We started studies on the cechite in July 2015. The first analysis we made showed the presence of Cu in the SEM-EDS spectra. But we studied inside broken crystals. In those crystals, Cu was a thin layer on the surface (less than 20 um). We have made several analyses from different crystals and Cu was only present on surface. We have also analyzed some crystals with EPMA and results are totally consistent with values acquired by FE-SEM-EDS.
On Ulldemolins cechite crystals it is usual to find other mineral species on the surface, like mottramite or, more rarely, calderonite.
We have also a LIBS spectra made by Adolf Cortel and different RAMAN spectra those show similar structures like pyrobelonite-descloizite-mottramite. That's why only RAMAN is incomplete to confirm species.
We are working on other analyses and studies and preparing an article (as indicated in mindat Ulldemolins page) for the next magazine of Grup Mineralògic Català. It would have been great if you had contacted us in order to discuss the results. But never is too late...

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: