We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
25 Feb-06:48:10 Re: new mexico collecting (Jordi Fabre)
25 Feb-06:37:14 Re: collection of fiebre verde - peñas blancas (#529) (Fiebre Verde)
25 Feb-04:23:26 Re: n'chwaning 1, 2, 3, hotazel, wessels - do you really care? (Fiebre Verde)
25 Feb-04:06:45 Re: fluorite from naica but from which period, 1970's?? (Herrej)
25 Feb-03:16:42 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
25 Feb-01:37:25 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
25 Feb-00:34:03 Re: collection of ras (Robert Seitz)
24 Feb-20:50:44 Re: stumped, please help. (Crosstimber)
24 Feb-20:45:42 Re: stumped, please help. (Peter Megaw)
24 Feb-20:06:09 Re: bob's rocks (Gneissware)
24 Feb-17:43:55 Re: stumped, please help. (Peter Megaw)
24 Feb-17:41:49 Re: stumped, please help. (Robynm)
24 Feb-17:41:29 Re: collecting at the macy mine for the yellow vanadinites (Pete Modreski)
24 Feb-17:39:25 Re: fluorite from naica but from which period, 1970's?? (Peter Megaw)
24 Feb-17:16:05 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
24 Feb-16:59:30 Re: stumped, please help. (Crosstimber)
24 Feb-16:41:12 Re: fluorite from naica but from which period, 1970's?? (Herrej)
24 Feb-16:35:00 Stumped, please help (Robynm)
24 Feb-15:09:04 Re: collecting at the macy mine for the yellow vanadinites (Philip Simmons)
24 Feb-14:43:10 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / sachsen - saxony (Jesse Fisher)
24 Feb-14:37:50 Re: fluorite from naica but from which period, 1970's?? (Ed Huskinson)
24 Feb-14:35:41 Re: collecting at the macy mine for the yellow vanadinites (Philip Simmons)
24 Feb-14:20:10 Re: favourite fluorites? (Tobi)
24 Feb-14:13:51 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / sachsen - saxony (Tobi)
24 Feb-13:52:07 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / sachsen - saxony (Jesse Fisher)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Feb 25, 2017 13:37

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Locality Correct? - Minium, Plumbojarosite, Cerrusite specimens from Tres Marias, Chihuahu

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

daviddillman

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2017 00:17    Post subject: Locality Correct? - Minium, Plumbojarosite, Cerrusite specimens from Tres Marias, Chihuahu  

I would like to request any feedback from the forum members about the locality validity of some specimens purchased from estate sale of a mineral dealer who was active from the 1950s to the late 1980. The dealer was Bill Hayward of Denver Colorado.

The specimens (over a flat worth) are labeled at "Minium, Plumbojarosite, Cerrusite from Tres Marias, Mexico" . ? I tried looking on Mindat and didn't find Minium associated with Tres Marias. I searched the Minrec general indexes and did not find anything.

I can see areas of white mineralization, both massive and some extremely thin, white, "hairs" that could be cerrusite. The specimens seem very friable and leave little crumbs in the fold up boxes after handling.

S2, second try.jpg
 Mineral: Minium?
 Description:
Tres Maria, Chihuahua, Mexico?
8cm x 9cm x 4cm
 Viewed:  784 Time(s)

S2, second try.jpg

daviddillman

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2017 00:35    Post subject: Re: Locality Correct? - Minium, Plumbojarosite, Cerrusite specimens from Tres Marias, Chih  

I didn't not get all the attachments included.

s1, front, second try.jpg
 Description:
11cm x 9cm x 3 cm
 Viewed:  770 Time(s)

s1, front, second try.jpg

daviddillman

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2017 00:37    Post subject: Re: Locality Correct? - Minium, Plumbojarosite, Cerrusite specimens from Tres Marias, Chih  

Third specimen

S3, second try.jpg
 Description:
8cm x 4cm x3cm
 Viewed:  771 Time(s)

S3, second try.jpg

John Betts

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2017 07:47    Post subject: Re: Locality Correct? - Minium, Plumbojarosite, Cerrusite specimens from Tres Marias, Chih  

Minium is listed in the Minerals of Mexico from the Dos Marias Mine, Chihuahua, Mexico.

daviddillman

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2017 18:27    Post subject: Re: Locality Correct? - Minium, Plumbojarosite, Cerrusite specimens from Tres Marias, Chih  

John: Thanks for the information. I dug around in my office and realized I had the Panczer book and you are correct.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2017 15:55    Post subject: Re: Locality Correct? - Minium, Plumbojarosite, Cerrusite specimens from Tres Marias, Chih  

David, I know this mine well ...and it has been variously called Tres Marias and Dos Marias. Your query stimulated me to write a better description of the place for Mindat...which I copy below

Minium has been reported from Tres Marias for many years...as has cinnabar, which is logical considering the mine falls well within the limits of the Terlingua Mercury District.

I am guessing that both identifications were made based on color and familiarity rather than analysis, and these things tend to get stuck in the literature and labeling. It's hard to say from your pictures but the color looks too red for typical minium, which I would expect to be more orangy in color, and much more like cinnabar. I do know that samples I have taken of the ores are very high in mercury (beyond detection limits), so I would urge you to get it analyzed

For completely unknown reasons at various times this small mine has been known as either Tres Marias or Dos Marias. It lies just south of the Rio Grande, just west of Big Bend National Park in the mountains above Nuevo Lajitas, Chihuahua; essentially just across the border from the Terlingua-Lajitas, Texas stretch of the Rio Grande. There is some recent ore deposits literature under the name Tres Marias stemming from recent interest in the high Germanium content of the ores (cf Saini-Eidukat et al., 2009, Mineralium Deposita v. 44, p. 363-370) Unfortunately not enough has been found to justify production and no additional orebodies have been found.

The mine was operated intermittently between the late 40s and 1992 for zinc oxide mineralization with a high Germanium content. Eagle Picher was the principal purchaser of the ores, which they blended with moderate Ge lead-zinc ores from San Pedro Corralitos. Perhaps 125,000 tonnes were mined. A number of exploration companies have evaluated the property since the 1990s with extensive work and limited success.

The orebody is an inverted carrot-shaped breccia chimney in lower Cretaceous Santa Elena (Georgetown) Limestone, probably a result of hydrothermal karsting by acidic ore fluids ascending along intersecting structures. Mineralization preferentially occurred around the margins of the breccia pipe as both open-space fillings and partial replacement of limestone fragments. Oxide ores were the principal mining interest, with zinc grades to 40%. Primary mineralization is galena and sphalerite, with lesser marcasite, pyrite, wurtzite, and cinnabar. The sphalerite is low-iron, honey colored and commonly occurs as stalactitic masses coated with a thick crust of pyrobitumen (called gilsonite by some workers). Silver grades are very low, but Germanium ranges from 300-960 ppm. Secondary minerals include cerussite, anglesite, wulfenite, mimetite, descloizite, plumbojarosite, minium (?), greenockite, hemimorphite, smithsonite and willemite in a matrix of mixed iron-manganese oxides. Calcite, fluorite, dolomite, fine-grained quartz and barite are the principal gangue species.

The metals content, mineralogy and style of mineralization indicate a Mississippi Valley Type brine-origin. The presence of cinnabar suggests a genetic link to (or overprinting by) the nearby mercury mineralization of the Terlingua District across the river.

daviddillman

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2017 21:15    Post subject: Re: Locality Correct? - Minium, Plumbojarosite, Cerrusite specimens from Tres Marias, Chih  

Dr. Megaw,

Thanks you for this detailed information. This explains the discrepancies I have been finding. I will have the specimen analyzed to make the cinnabar vs. minium determination.
Several individuals all recommended you as an excellent point-of-contact. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I just found a reference to a technical report you authored for a company (War Eagle) that has been involved in Tres Marias.

David

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: