We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 May-16:26:59 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / county durham (Colin Robinson)
24 May-16:08:37 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / cumbria (Colin Robinson)
24 May-16:04:01 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / cumbria (Colin Robinson)
24 May-15:57:35 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / cumbria (Colin Robinson)
24 May-15:48:55 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / cumbria (Colin Robinson)
24 May-10:23:15 Re: collection of michael shaw - viburnum trend (Crosstimber)
24 May-09:33:39 Re: collection of manuel mesa (Manuel Mesa)
24 May-09:23:17 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Bob Harman)
24 May-08:13:10 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Ifoundsomething)
24 May-08:11:29 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Ifoundsomething)
24 May-08:10:06 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Ifoundsomething)
24 May-08:09:52 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Riccardo Modanesi)
24 May-08:07:55 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Ifoundsomething)
24 May-08:02:17 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Alfredo)
24 May-06:45:14 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Bob Harman)
24 May-03:25:07 Re: desperate to find out what this is (James)
24 May-03:24:14 Re: collection of carles millan - cassiterite from bolivia (Carles Millan)
24 May-01:02:27 Re: desperate to find out what this is. (Alfredo)
23 May-23:44:14 Re: desperate to find out what this is. (Ifoundsomething)
23 May-23:36:40 Re: desperate to find out what this is. (Glen Miller)
23 May-21:01:49 Desperate to find out what this is (Ifoundsomething)
23 May-20:55:37 Desperate to find out what this is (Ifoundsomething)
23 May-17:28:39 Re: hallelujah junction, near reno, nevada. Spann adventure (Gail)
23 May-17:22:28 Re: hallelujah junction, near reno, nevada. Spann adventure (Gail)
23 May-17:14:50 Re: hallelujah junction, near reno, nevada. Spann adventure (Gail)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 24, 2017 16:29

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Inclusions in rutilated quartz

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

paolo

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2017 03:40    Post subject: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

Although I imagine my question could be hard to answer by just looking at photos, I still want to try and see If some of you can give me useful hints. I have a rutilated quartz point where you can see two ghosts (respectively having different orientation angles). At the interface between the ghosts' facets and the newer crystal there are some inclusions, which are basically colorless: they just reflect light like miniature mirrors. I would like to know what is the material of those inclusions. Are these just gas bubbles? I do not have any evidence that there is liquid in those microscopic chambers. The first photo should help seeing the ghosts.

IMG_6397.JPG
 Mineral: Rutilated quartz
 Dimensions: 4 cm
 Description:
From this photo the ghosts are clearly visible
 Viewed:  1666 Time(s)

IMG_6397.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

paolo

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2017 03:46    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

This is a close-up on the inclusions.

IMG_6401c.jpg
 Description:
Detail of the inclusions.
 Viewed:  1660 Time(s)

IMG_6401c.jpg

paolo

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2017 03:48    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

This is an attempt to take a photo of the same inclusions under different light conditions.

IMG_6404c.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  1656 Time(s)

IMG_6404c.jpg

paolo

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2017 03:51    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

The inclusion chambers reflect light as shown in the attachment.

IMG_6426.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  1645 Time(s)

IMG_6426.JPG

paolo

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2017 03:53    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

Further detail of the inclusions.

IMG_6430c.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  1648 Time(s)

IMG_6430c.jpg

Pierre Joubert

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2017 07:36    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

I may be wrong, but to me, they look like gas inclusions.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2017 09:47    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

This looks like a trail of inclusions left by the healing of a fracture in the quartz. As Pierre said, they look mostly gas-filled, though some liquid may be present as well. If this is correct, these are what are called secondary inclusions, meaning that they developed after the crystal grew in the area where they are found, rather than at the time of growth.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2017 10:33    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

These are, I believe, what are commonly referred to as veils. They are very common in quartz crystals. Not sure, however, that I agree with Pete as I see no reason why there would have been fractures in the quartz that subsequently healed. They could just as easily be primary, that is they were incorporated in the crystal as it was growing, particularly if they are liquid bearing. I will try to get John Koivula to enter this discussion.

paolo

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2017 09:13    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

Dear members, many thanks for providing insight into this. I have learned something new (secondary inclusions, veils) but it is apparent that it is extremely hard to give a final judgement just from these pictures.

John I. Koivula

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2017 12:48    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

I agree with John White on this topic. I don’t think that those inclusions represent fluid inclusions formed by the healing of a crack. They appear to be entirely too coarse and large to be the result of fracture healing. Like John, I think they are primary, and formed during the actual growth of the crystal. They appear to have very high relief from the surrounding quartz which leads me to suspect that most of them contain primarily a gaseous component and not a liquid.

paolo

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2017 02:44    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

I understood from a number of articles on the Web that John Koivula is an authority in the field of gemology. It is truly great to receive comments on this forum from a community of experts.
The fact that inclusions have high relief on the surrounding quartz has been explained to indicate that they may contain mainly gas, so I imagine that inclusions containing mainly liquid or other minerals would likely look less bubble-shaped...

The following paragraph is just something I found on the internet for my self-study, in case somebody wants to take a look or make further comments:

The shape of fluid inclusions can indicate the occurrence of heterogeneous trapping. Spherical or well rounded gas-filled fluid inclusions indicate that the inclusions were trapped as a gas bubble within a dominantly liquid host phase.
Gas filled inclusions do not necessarily imply that they formed from a solely gas phase fluid. The most common source for these inclusions is in fact from heterogeneous trapping of subordinate gas bubbles within a dominant liquid phase. Such heterogeneous trapping can be difficult to recognize during fluid inclusion studies and is frequently not recognized and misunderstood. The shape of the inclusions may assist in recognition of heterogeneous trapping because spherical or well rounded inclusions must have formed by the trapping of a gas bubble within a liquid host phase. The spherical shape of inclusions is caused by the surface tension of a liquid which hosts a heterogeneous gas bubble phase, and which constrains the gas bubble to have the minimum surface area for its volume, i.e. a sphere. This bubble is then trapped by interference with silicate deposition of the host mineral, typically the quartz being studied. Other silicate deposition mechanisms do not produce spherically shaped inclusions and instead give inclusion shapes controlled by the crystal structure of the host mineral, giving rise to negative crystal shaped inclusions, or else completely random shapes if deposition is fast, or some combination of these shapes.

IMG_6500c.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  1065 Time(s)

IMG_6500c.jpg

paolo

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2017 02:48    Post subject: Re: Inclusions in rutilated quartz  

It took me some time, but from this angle inclusions are bit better visible.

IMG_6506c.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  1066 Time(s)

IMG_6506c.jpg

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: