We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
21 Oct-04:36:26 Re: alfredopetrovite (Lluis)
21 Oct-03:54:44 Re: is it possible to tell a nature made pearl from a cultured pearl without cutting it op (Riccardo Modanesi)
21 Oct-01:54:39 Is it possible to tell a nature made pearl from a cultured pearl without cutting it open? (Trtlman)
21 Oct-01:31:52 Re: new zealand alpine minerals? (Peter Lemkin)
21 Oct-01:10:18 Re: alfredopetrovite (Franjungle)
20 Oct-22:38:38 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
20 Oct-19:49:05 Re: a mineralogical trip through the states of usa - missouri (Turbo)
20 Oct-12:34:25 Re: weird face in quartz (Reef)
20 Oct-12:20:46 Re: mineralogical museum luigi celleri (mum) of san piero in campo in elba island, italy (Tobi)
20 Oct-12:01:57 Re: a mineralogical trip through the states of usa - missouri (Jordi Fabre)
20 Oct-11:37:22 Re: mineralogical museum luigi celleri (mum) of san piero in campo in elba island, italy (Marco Campos-venuti)
20 Oct-11:20:39 Re: weird face in quartz (Marco Campos-venuti)
20 Oct-09:57:45 Re: weird face in quartz (Reef)
20 Oct-09:50:51 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
20 Oct-09:31:56 Re: collection of manuel mesa (Manuel Mesa)
20 Oct-01:22:14 Re: art soregaroli's passing (Jim Robison)
19 Oct-22:22:36 Re: art soregaroli's passing (Pete Modreski)
19 Oct-20:49:51 Re: bayley viburnum trend calcite collection (Turbo)
19 Oct-20:44:35 Re: art soregaroli's passing (John S. White)
19 Oct-20:27:35 Re: bayley viburnum trend calcite collection (Bob Harman)
19 Oct-20:22:59 Re: art soregaroli's passing (Robert Seitz)
19 Oct-20:14:59 Re: bayley viburnum trend calcite collection (Turbo)
19 Oct-19:33:21 Art soregaroli's passing (Peter Megaw)
19 Oct-16:42:40 Re: mineralogical museum luigi celleri (mum) of san piero in campo in elba island, italy (Marco Campos-venuti)
19 Oct-16:23:23 Re: scepters - (1) (Marco Campos-venuti)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Oct 21, 2017 08:53

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Fluorite from Naica but from which period, 1970's??

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

herrej

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2017 09:02    Post subject: Fluorite from Naica but from which period, 1970's??  

Recently I bought this floater crystal of Fluorite of soft green appearance. The green color is more centered in the crystal. I wonder if this is an old piece fro the 1970's or from the last find around 2007

Is it from one of the older mines in Naica like the Gibraltar mine or is it just the Naica mine or Naica mines?

Naica Fluorite 3.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Naica, Municipio Saucillo, Chihuahua, Mexico
 Dimensions: 7.5x7x5cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  1602 Time(s)

Naica Fluorite 3.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2017 13:45    Post subject: Re: Fluorite from Naica but from which period, 1970's??  

There were big finds of pale green crystals like this in the mid 80s, mid 90s and mid 00s. The 80s finds tended to be sharp unmodified cubes, with more complex forms shown by the 90s and 00 finds...but not always. Does it have any sulfide inclusions? the 00s often had chalcopyrite trapped as inclusions, while the 80s tended to be inclusion free but on galena.. Some of the 90s finds had galena inclusions but tended to be modified instead of these sharp cubes.

Despite what you see on the net there hasn't been a Gibraltar Mine since before the 1950s. There is a Gibraltar Shaft and a Gibraltar Fault from which gypsum crystals have come, but the mine has simply been called Naica since 1955 when the modern mining epoch there began. The old mines like Siglo XX, Maravillas, Gibraltar, etc exclusively produced oxide ores from offshoots of the Torino-Tehuacan Chimney and have been inaccessible since the 60s. They were all brought into the Naica Mine when sulfides were discovered at depth. Production hoisting comes through either the Gibraltar or Naica Shafts but that has little to do with which one of over 90 orebodies the ore/specimens came from, and it is extremely unlikely that anyone other than the miner who found a piece really knew the source....and they would be unlikely to tell more than generally since it could cost them their job. The exception to this are pieces from the Torino Tehuacan Chimney which was effectively the only specimen producing body until the early 1980s. Other designations such as 520 Orebody or Manto Mixtos are zones within the mine where production was focused at certain times, but each of these areas exploited several separate orebodies.

A final comment...work is underway to block out adequate resources to justify a new access ramp that avoids the Naica Fault which is where the high water flows that closed the mine came from. Pumping continues to hold the water level down and the Cave of the Giants remains unflooded.

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2017 14:37    Post subject: Re: Fluorite from Naica but from which period, 1970's??  

Thanks Pete for the 'splanation. When one considers the size and distribution of the many and disparate ore bodies at Naica, and without knowing how the shift bosses or production managers designate each zone (so they can tell their crews where to work), you just have to go with the flow vis-a-vis location nomenclature. I still simply use NAICA, unless the label originates with you or someone else knowledgeable.

Thanks again for the wonderful time in Tucson, have a great year, and I look forward to seeing you sometime later in 2017.

All best wishes,

Ed in Kingman

herrej

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2017 16:41    Post subject: Re: Fluorite from Naica but from which period, 1970's??  

Under magnification I don't see any inclusions but between the crystals, where they touch each other, I see some Galena.

Regards

Harry

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2017 17:39    Post subject: Re: Fluorite from Naica but from which period, 1970's??  

are they small cube octahedrons? if so it's probably 80s material

herrej

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2017 04:06    Post subject: Re: Fluorite from Naica but from which period, 1970's??  

Peter, yes they are cube octahedrons, so the 80's is most likely
Thanks for your reactions and input. Helped me a lot.

Regards

Harry

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: