We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
25 May-20:07:08 The mizunaka collection - quartz with fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
25 May-15:33:49 Re: i am curious to know what camera you are using... (Texasdigger)
25 May-13:33:16 Re: quartz inclusions (Cascaillou)
25 May-11:30:22 Re: collection of manuel mesa (Manuel Mesa)
25 May-05:01:40 Re: [not very] desperate to find out what this is (James)
25 May-03:23:43 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Matt_zukowski)
25 May-03:10:56 Re: hallelujah junction, near reno, nevada. Spann adventure (Pierre Joubert)
24 May-22:48:35 The mizunaka collection - hackmanite (Am Mizunaka)
24 May-20:34:31 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / county durham (Jesse Fisher)
24 May-17:37:11 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Bob Carnein)
24 May-16:26:59 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / county durham (Colin Robinson)
24 May-16:08:37 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / cumbria (Colin Robinson)
24 May-16:04:01 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / cumbria (Colin Robinson)
24 May-15:57:35 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / cumbria (Colin Robinson)
24 May-15:48:55 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / cumbria (Colin Robinson)
24 May-10:23:15 Re: collection of michael shaw - viburnum trend (Crosstimber)
24 May-09:33:39 Re: collection of manuel mesa (Manuel Mesa)
24 May-09:23:17 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Bob Harman)
24 May-08:13:10 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Ifoundsomething)
24 May-08:11:29 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Ifoundsomething)
24 May-08:10:06 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Ifoundsomething)
24 May-08:09:52 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Riccardo Modanesi)
24 May-08:07:55 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Ifoundsomething)
24 May-08:02:17 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Alfredo)
24 May-06:45:14 Re: desperate to find out what this is (Bob Harman)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 25, 2017 20:38

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Need some help identifying a piece

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Proudtex76

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 15:07    Post subject: Need some help identifying a piece  

This was going in a dirt pile in San Jacinto County Texas. It exhibits blues, greens and reds

20170410_170244.jpg
 Locality:
Texas, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  953 Time(s)

20170410_170244.jpg

20170410_170255.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  947 Time(s)

20170410_170255.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

kushmeja

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 15:21    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

It looks like opal, in particular boulder opal. Although I wasn't aware that opal like that was found in Texas, so I'm not certain. I did a quick Google search and apparently opal is found in Texas in very small quantities, but I was not able to see anything that looked like your piece.

Dale Hallmark

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 15:26    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

Lots of Chalcedony found in Texas.
Most of San Jacinto County Texas is sands, clays, gravels, a lot of river deposits. Chert is found as well. Mostly fluvial and alluvium deposits.

I would say chalcedony.

Dale

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 15:29    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

I favor a small piece of decorative glass or porcelain etc. Man made and not natural, part of a decorative object such as a broken large vase, broken bowl, colorful swirled glass object etc. BOB

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 15:34    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

There is also common opal found in the Texas coastal plains. San Jacinto qualifies in that regard too.

Dale

Tobi

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 15:38    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

I'm quite sure this is neither chalcedony nor something man-made like glass or porcelain. Looking at the opalescent parts of the specimen I think this is rather a piece of boulder opal like it is found in Australia ...

kushmeja

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 15:40    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

Tobi wrote:
I'm quite sure this is neither chalcedony nor something man-made like glass or porcelain. Looking at the opalescent parts of the specimen I think this is rather a piece of boulder opal like it is found in Australia ...

Agree - this looks exactly like Australian boulder opal, but I wasn't aware of material like this from TX.

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 16:01    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

Texas has a lot of geological setings.
Very partial listing of mineral resources in Texas
Aluminum
Barite
Bentonite
Beryllium
Calcite
Chalcedony
Clays
Copper
Fluorite
Gold
Graphite
Gypsum & Anhydrite
Iron and Iron Minerals
Kaolinite
Lead
Manganese
Marble
Mercury
Molybdenum
Common Opal
Perlite
Salt & Halite
Silver
Strontium
Sulfur
Talc & Soapstone
Tin
Titanium
Topaz
Tungsten
Uranium
Zeolite
Zinc
Zirconium

Dale

kushmeja wrote:
Tobi wrote:

Agree - this looks exactly like Australian boulder opal, but I wasn't aware of material like this from TX.

SteveB

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 16:56    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

Boulder opal , matrix isalso called ironstone. Was it dug up or found on the surface. Away from human traffic or close? That is could it have been a dropped specimen rather than native to the area. But I'm dead certain its a photo of boulder opal you have there, it just might not be from where you found it, maybe dropped by another fossicker.

Proudtex76

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 17:13    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

It's definitely not glass or pottery. It is stone. Possibly petrified wood but the iridescence along that line changing colors gives me pause. I have heard of opalized wood in this area but with the piece being so small it is hard to identify. The color band does change from green to blue to red depending on the angle.

Proudtex76

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 17:14    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

It was found in a dirt pile used for firearms target practice.

SteveB

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2017 21:09    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

Proudtex76 wrote:
It's definitely not glass or pottery. It is stone. Possibly petrified wood but the iridescence along that line changing colors gives me pause. I have heard of opalized wood in this area but with the piece being so small it is hard to identify. The color band does change from green to blue to red depending on the angle.

Yep, thats ironstone, and 100% certainly opal. Completely worthless but still nice. Opal just cant be mistaken for anything else.

Proudtex76

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2017 08:31    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

Thanks everyone. I double checked with the person who found it and it turns out they were not being honest about the location of the find. Turns out the dirt pile was actually an old box. Still no boulder opal found in texas.

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2017 09:05    Post subject: Re: Need some help identifying a piece  

A small segment from a report about Opal in Texas:

BUREAU OF ECONOMIC GEOLOGY
The University of Texas atAustin
Austin,Texas 78712

JOHN T. LONSDALE, Director
Report of Investigations— No. 42

Texas Gemstones
By Elbert A.King,Jr.

Opal other than as fossil or opalized wood occurs at the following several localities in Texas.
Approximately 16miles south of Alpine, Brewster County, precious opal occurs in very small seams and as cavity fillings in very hard pinkish-brown rhyolite. This opal is milky or bluish and commonly exhibits small flashes of blue, green-red, and orange fire. Individual pieces of this opal are mostly quite small, rarely over one fourth inch in diameter, and very difficult to remove from the tough rhyolite matrix.

Small finds of opal associated with rhyolites and basalts have come from other localities in west Texas, but the opal mostly does not display enough play of colors to warrant its use as gem material.

Near Freer, Duval County, some very attractive common opal has been found. The opal is colored various shades of pink, blue and yellow and in certain local areas occurs as fragments that are cemented together by clear chalcedony. Various colors are commonly found in the same piece, and such material yields handsome cabochons. Although the area has never been worked commercially, it has been hunted by collectors and cutters for several years.

Dale
PS this is not a comprehensive report on Opal in Texas

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: