We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
22 Jul-17:21:23 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
22 Jul-17:13:44 Re: don lum collection (Franjungle)
22 Jul-15:47:06 Re: don lum collection (Pierre Joubert)
22 Jul-13:56:45 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 Jul-13:32:55 Re: don lum collection (Pierre Joubert)
22 Jul-13:31:04 Re: quartz collecting outings in south africa (Pierre Joubert)
22 Jul-13:29:11 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 Jul-13:11:21 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
22 Jul-09:25:27 Re: quartz collecting outings in south africa (Bob Harman)
22 Jul-02:52:04 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)
21 Jul-13:30:18 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
21 Jul-10:03:04 Re: quartz collecting outings in south africa (Pierre Joubert)
21 Jul-09:22:24 Re: collection of fiebre verde - cunas (#661) (Fiebre Verde)
21 Jul-09:16:21 Re: quartz collecting outings in south africa (Reinhardt Van Vuuren)
21 Jul-09:02:40 Re: quartz collecting outings in south africa (Heimo Hellwig)
21 Jul-08:36:04 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
21 Jul-03:58:59 Re: quartz collecting outings in south africa (Pierre Joubert)
21 Jul-03:57:24 Re: quartz collecting outings in south africa (Pierre Joubert)
21 Jul-03:43:22 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
21 Jul-02:37:58 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Pierre Joubert)
21 Jul-01:35:40 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
21 Jul-00:06:54 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
20 Jul-17:59:04 Re: a mineralogical trip through the states of usa - arizona (Jordi Fabre)
20 Jul-14:04:30 Re: collection of philippe durand (Don Lum)
20 Jul-13:57:37 Re: collection of michael shaw (Don Lum)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jul 22, 2017 17:36

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Intriguing beach find, but what are they?

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Acoma

PostPosted: May 10, 2017 05:02    Post subject: Intriguing beach find, but what are they?  

Hi all, I'm brand spanking new to this business so all and any help is much appreciated. Walking on our rocky beach the other day my hubby and little person stumbled across a selection of 'crystals'. They were spread along the shore line so we think they must have come off a boat and slowly made their way to our shore :)

I've added some photos, I have my suspicions but with some I just don't know.

The pinky one has some clearly transparent lines, my first guess was rose quartz but now I'm not so sure.

The pointy one has low 'scratch-ability', couldn't scratch it with a coin but easy with a knife. It has a section with pale purple and another with pale green inside as well as some kind of rainbow reflection from within.

The green topped rock has a band of pink under the green.

The two big ones can all scratch glass but I haven't been able to scratch either of them yet. The biggest piece weighs 12 kgs :)

What do you think?

Cheers

rose1.jpg
 Dimensions: 3cm x 5cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  1213 Time(s)

rose1.jpg

cal1.jpg
 Mineral: calcite?
 Dimensions: 5cm x 4.5cm x 13cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  1216 Time(s)

cal1.jpg

cal2.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite?
 Dimensions: 5cm x 4.5cm x 13cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  1214 Time(s)

cal2.jpg

green.jpg
 Mineral: Green rock
 Dimensions: 5cm x 3cm x 3cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  1223 Time(s)

green.jpg

big.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz
 Dimensions: 40cm x 30cm x 30cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  1216 Time(s)

big.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

alfredo
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 10, 2017 05:15    Post subject: Re: Intriguing beach find, but what are they?  

It doesn't look like they washed up in the waves (insufficiently abraded), looks more like material some superstitious believer in "crystal energy" spread out on the beach there deliberately to perform some mystical ceremony.

Acoma

PostPosted: May 10, 2017 05:37    Post subject: Re: Intriguing beach find, but what are they?  

No, there's definitely some damage, this is just a small selection of the find and more has been revealed or washed up as the tide's gone in and out.

I agree though that much looks like something you'd find in a new age shop, doesn't mean I know what they are :)

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: May 10, 2017 09:31    Post subject: Re: Intriguing beach find, but what are they?  

You seem to indicate they were found near one another. This is almost proof they were left on the beach and not washed ashore from the sea [along with insufficient wear from abrasion with sand. To me, as to others, they look like 'New Age' stones and crystals. One looks to be a polished crystal.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: May 10, 2017 11:33    Post subject: Re: Intriguing beach find, but what are they?  

The long one looks like fluorite. I knew a chap that used to place a lot of crystals at different points to try balance the energy fields of the earth. Whether he was successful, I doubt. I also doubt whether he 'seeded' the earth with high quality crystals:-)

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Acoma

PostPosted: May 10, 2017 19:20    Post subject: Re: Intriguing beach find, but what are they?  

Thank you guys for your replies so far :)

I'm still trying to figure out what the individual pieces are though, regardless of how they ended up on the beach. As I mentioned I'm a complete novice but some detective work have sparked my interest in finding out what I've found. New agey or not, they are minerals, are they not?

Pierre Joubert, you mentioned fluorite :) Thank you, that seems to fit with hardness and colour scheme.

Any other suggestions? Particularly the green and pink one.

Cheers

SteveB

PostPosted: May 10, 2017 22:09    Post subject: Re: Intriguing beach find, but what are they?  

Quartz pretty much, rose quartz the pink one (slightly rutilated?) Colour is not much to go on. Do a hardness test on them all. Could be artificially coloured for the new age crowd (plenty of manufactured quartz coming out of China for newage bunnies). Definitely hasn't naturally come out of the ground and washed up on the beach. Besides, what sort of beach? Sandy you don't get giant rocks like this washing ashore, they are far too heavy, it's not possible. Rocky beaches the rocks were always there and the soil/soft matrix has been washed away leaving heavy rocks only, which do not walk away on their own.

So yes, quartzes possibly man made, not really valuable but attractive display pieces.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: May 11, 2017 02:10    Post subject: Re: Intriguing beach find, but what are they?  

So many of the 'crystals' used by 'new age' types are not completely natural crystals. Many have had the faces polished - or even a piece with no crystal faces has been cut to make it look like it has. Artificial colorization is often used. Some are even man-made minerals and crystals. You can hear the scepticism here for the new age minerals and crystals, generally and the beliefs held by those who use them. On this site there are some guidelines for testing what you have to help determine what they might be - natural or not. I think someone was doing a new age ceremony on the beach and either purposely left them there or had to abandon them when the tide suddenly came in. There may be more appearing in the next days and weeks in the general area.

James
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 11, 2017 03:42    Post subject: Re: Intriguing beach find, but what are they?  

Do some hardness tests on them - use each one to test the others, would be a good start, as you clearly have some quartz (hardness 7).

So test 8 on this page

http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=19487#19487

PS I have found a cut gem stone on a beach, which almost certainly came from a wreck as that coast has had many wrecks over the years. But it was the same size as the other stones (well pebbles really) on that beach. One day I must work out what it is!

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: