We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
22 Nov-07:21:12 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
22 Nov-03:56:24 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Pierre Joubert)
22 Nov-03:09:39 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Tobi)
21 Nov-22:04:25 Re: munich show (mineralientage) 2017 (Roger Warin)
21 Nov-21:33:30 Re: munich show (mineralientage) 2017 (Roger Warin)
21 Nov-15:55:24 Re: the mizunaka collection (Philippe Durand)
21 Nov-15:22:37 Re: mineral names in different languages and their meaning (Pete Richards)
21 Nov-13:43:39 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
21 Nov-13:35:45 Re: mineral names in different languages and their meaning (Tobi)
21 Nov-12:27:46 Re: micro photos of inclusions in quartz (Zbhjzm)
21 Nov-11:20:15 Re: rarest quartz twins with inclined axes c (Reef)
21 Nov-10:11:59 Re: mineral names in different languages and their meaning (Pete Richards)
21 Nov-04:25:25 Re: mineral names in different languages and their meaning (Tobi)
21 Nov-04:21:11 Re: in memoriam: adalberto giazotto (1940-2017) (Tobi)
21 Nov-04:17:44 Re: mineral names in different languages and their meaning (Pierre Joubert)
21 Nov-03:40:43 Re: mineral names in different languages and their meaning (Tobi)
21 Nov-02:38:54 Re: mineral names in different languages and their meaning (Jm)
21 Nov-02:19:38 Re: micro photos of inclusions in quartz (Zbhjzm)
20 Nov-19:15:32 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
20 Nov-18:11:57 Re: is this zircon ? (Dimce Catle)
20 Nov-17:35:46 Re: questions about microcline (Josele)
20 Nov-15:48:34 The mizunaka collection - copper (Am Mizunaka)
20 Nov-15:47:11 Re: is this zircon ? (Pete Modreski)
20 Nov-15:27:59 Re: mineral names in different languages and their meaning (Peter)
20 Nov-15:19:19 Re: is this zircon ? (Lluis)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Nov 22, 2017 07:48

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Desperate to find out what this is

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ifoundsomething

PostPosted: May 23, 2017 20:55    Post subject: Desperate to find out what this is  

I need help identifying a very unusual stone, for Indiana anyway . I was fishing today and this caught my eye I have never seen anything like this.
Any information you can provide I would appreciate.

0523171624.jpg
 Mineral: Don't know
 Dimensions: 6 inches in dia.
 Description:
 Viewed:  3141 Time(s)

0523171624.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ifoundsomething

PostPosted: May 23, 2017 21:01    Post subject: Desperate to find out what this is  

Was fishing in Indiana and this caught my eye. I have never seen anything like this. Please help. Btw it is non magnetic.

0523171623c.jpg
 Mineral: Not known
 Dimensions: 6 inches in dia.
 Description:
What is it?
 Viewed:  3091 Time(s)

0523171623c.jpg

Glen Miller

PostPosted: May 23, 2017 23:36    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is.  

When asking for an identification, please include as much information on where you found it, the size, and local geology that you may know. Think of what you'd like to know about the piece if someone asked you to identify it.
And, I'm not going to guess about what rock/mineral that is.

Ifoundsomething

PostPosted: May 23, 2017 23:44    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is.  

I believe it's black garnet. What info would be helpful? I found it on a creek that was recently flooded. It's in park county Indiana along the Walbash River. The area has a lot of shale and coal. I have more pictures I can send via email. I had a hell of a time just putting up the one pic.

alfredo
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 01:02    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is.  

Black garnet is very unlikely in Indiana.... wrong geological environment.

It is more likely sphalerite (a zinc ore) or oxidized pyrite. Find a piece of broken porcelain and rub the rough surface over a corner of those black crystals. That will grind a tiny bit off and tell you what color the powder is. The powder color will help identify it.

James
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 03:25    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

So, please do item 7 on this page:

http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=19487#19487

Also check hardness (item 8).

If the streak is yellow and the hardness is 3.5-4 then it may well be sphalerite. Garnet would be much harder and the streak would be red.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 06:45    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

Your photos are not so good and the specimen could use a good cleaning which might make identification easier. Put the example in soapy water with household bleach overnight. Then take a toothbrush and scrub the areas vigorously. Finally, follow with a strong rinse water stream.

Despite the fact that it was found in Parke County, away from most geode sites, some odd similar finds are made in that area. West-central Indiana, near the Illinois border, hosts several small stream areas with geodes. This find may fit one of these examples. Much of the Northern 2/3 of the state is covered with glacial till with scattered erratics. SE Indiana is ordovician, South-central Indiana (where geodes occur) extending to West-central Indiana is mid mississippian age and Southwest Indiana (where coal and oil occur) is pennsylvanian age. BTW it is PARKE COUNTY and WABASH RIVER.

Anyway, I believe you have found a long broken fragment of an Indiana geode, or a broken portion of a void with druzy quartz. The blackish crystals are not garnet and do not look like any sphalerite that I have ever seen. Look carefully at both photos, especially the top area of both, especially where the "rind" grades into the dark crystals in the ? cavity. The resistant rind is quartz grading into the dark crystal tips suggesting iron stained druzy quartz tips with many chips and dings. Not sphalerite to me as there is the graduation rather than 2 adjacent but distinctly separate minerals. The dark blackish color doesn't bother me as I have many examples of all colors of iron staining in long opened deteriorating geode fragments. All very common. BOB

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 08:02    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

On second thoughts, I agree with Bob: stained quartz is more likely.

Ifoundsomething

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 08:07    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

It doesn't look like a geode.

149563120413313209066.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  2832 Time(s)

149563120413313209066.jpg

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 08:09    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

Hi to everybody!
Let me launch an adventure of mine: SCHORLITE! Why not? Had anybody chscked the streak colour or the hardness of these crystals?
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Ifoundsomething

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 08:10    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

I will try to send more pics.

1495631308150-721185815.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  2831 Time(s)

1495631308150-721185815.jpg

Ifoundsomething

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 08:11    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

Another.

14956314433832001734049.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  2822 Time(s)

14956314433832001734049.jpg

Ifoundsomething

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 08:13    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

Notice the white.

14956315518561303164838.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  2809 Time(s)

14956315518561303164838.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 09:23    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

A couple of additional points.
From the original pics, the GRADATION seems important. It appears to all be 1 mineral, from the grayish edges to the dark crystal tips toward the center of the example.
Point #2: Indiana is sedimentary with relatively few simple minerals native to the state and these are sedimentary. Other than micro minerals and a few sparsely occurring very small examples of other minerals, there is not much. Some may mention other minerals, but most will not be found or ever reported in the state. The geology is just not right. I suppose, if from a glacial erratic, all bets are off, but unlikely.

In the coal areas of SW Indiana there are reports of dark druzy quartz lining voids of replaced wood from the tropical forests of the Pennsylvanian age. The additional photos suggest this. An irregular piece of petrified wood with druzy quartz lining a void. But, never-the-less still quartz. BOB

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 17:37    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

The northern to-thirds of Indiana is glaciated, so I wouldn't worry too much about whether the minerals in this specimen came from Indiana. That said, it could be almost anything, without better photos and data on physical properties.

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 25, 2017 03:23    Post subject: Re: Desperate to find out what this is  

We have an old coal mine around here with rocks that look just like your picture, although the pictures make it hard to be sure of anything. Some of the rubble around the mine is rocks containing thin and dirty (meaning sediment rich, coal poor) coal layers. Is there any way this is a little coal seam in a sandstone?

I think we should stop trying to guess until this guy gives us more info. A key thing to do is test the hardness. I would add, can you break off the black stuff? If you can break off the black stuff, can you crush it with light taps from a hammer? Can you drag the fragments across paper and leave a streak?

You can demonstrate your desperation by reading our guidance on asking "What is it" questions and provide more info as has already been suggested.

James
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 25, 2017 05:01    Post subject: Re: [Not very] Desperate to find out what this is  

As I said before, please do item 7 on this page:

http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=19487#19487

Also check hardness (item 8).

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: