We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 06:55

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article

Index -> Mineralogical Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  

CodyDel

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2017 09:58    Post subject: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

Hello, I am looking to see if anyone has the Rocks and Minerals article by Ed Over Jr. from 1929 titled "Some Mineral Localities of El Paso County" or an online version of the text. I have searched for this article and have had no success with Google. I'm looking to verify a reference in two subsequent articles, one in "Rocks and Minerals" and the other, in "Minerals The Collectors Newspaper".

In the September/ October 2001 issue of Rocks and Minerals, in Ed Raines' article "A Brief Summary of the Mineral Deposits of the Pikes Peak Batholith" it is stated that "Ed Over (1929) collected magnificent pinkish topaz crystals that were several centimeters long on the southeast slope of Cameron Cone". In issue #9 of "Minerals The Collectors Newspaper" the article "Great Topaz Find: Tribute Pocket, CO, USA" it is stated that Richard Fretterd "came across a reference to "magnificent peachy-pink topaz crystals up to 5 cm". As there are no references included at the end of the "Minerals" article, I'm assuming that this quotation is in reference to the 1929 "Rocks and Minerals" article by Over. The reason behind my questioning of the literature is that I wanted to verify the location given in the article by Raines, being the southeast slope of Cameron's Cone. The actual location of the Agnus Dei claim is on the north/ northeast slope of Cameron's Cone.

I understand that in the "Minerals" article there is no definitive statement that the Agnus Dei claim is the original Ed Over topaz find, but I feel like the article is leaning toward the idea that it is. From the comparison of the topaz collected by Over with two topaz crystals from the new diggings in the photo at the bottom of page 9 of "Minerals" there is a striking similarity, although visual observations are not to be relied upon in determining if a specimen came from the same source for sure. Again no claim is made that the crystals are. I was also curious to know if anybody knows if there has been any analysis done to verify that the Over topaz came from the same source as the Agnus Dei Topaz crystals. Correct me if this is not possible to determine.

The "Minerals" arrival can be found here:
https://spiriferminerals.com/foto_artyk/minerals/Minerals9-net.pdf
(link normalized by FMF)

Thanks.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

John Betts

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2017 10:39    Post subject: Re: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

I have a complete set of R&M. What issue and page is the article?

I was going to sell the set because I rarely access them. I guess maybe the set is worth keeping.

vic rzonca

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2017 11:06    Post subject: Re: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

Definitely worth keeping, but if you don't, I'll remove them for you. Have I broken any rules? Did R&M publish index issues?

John Betts

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2017 11:31    Post subject: Re: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

No index. The Mineral Index created by Lanny Ream indexes 2012 back to the 1960s.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2017 11:37    Post subject: Re: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

vic rzonca wrote:
Definitely worth keeping, but if you don't, I'll remove them for you. Have I broken any rules? Did R&M publish index issues?

No, as far as we are talking about magazines, not minerals, but in order to maintain the non commercial aspect of FMF please continue the deal in privacy via PM and not in public.Thank you.

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2017 11:45    Post subject: Re: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

Thanks Jordi.

CodyDel

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2017 17:03    Post subject: Re: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

A Google search of "minsocam rocks and mineral table of contents 1929" yields an index page in the first link. According to this page, the only article written by Ed Over is in the December issue shortly after page 99. According to this index, the article is entitled " Mineral Localities of Colorado". The title does not match the cited article by Over in the more recent Rocks and Minerals though.

John Betts

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2017 17:38    Post subject: Re: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

Here is page 1.

over1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  21288 Time(s)

over1.jpg

John Betts

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2017 17:40    Post subject: Re: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

Page 2

over2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  21261 Time(s)

over2.jpg

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2017 18:39    Post subject: Re: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

Great posts John, thanks.

CodyDel

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2017 21:33    Post subject: Re: 1929 Ed Over Rocks and Minerals Article  

This is long overdue, thank you for your post! It is appreciated.

Index -> Mineralogical Literature   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: