We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 11:17

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

vic rzonca

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2017 22:16    Post subject: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show  

You never know who you'll meet. The exhibitors are Paula and Les Presmyk. West Springfield, MA., August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show.

IMG_1048.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  28000 Time(s)

IMG_1048.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2017 22:30    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

Am looking forward to it. I'll be there this year.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 01:59    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

The poster of the Show

East Coast West Spingfield Massachusetts 2017.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  27982 Time(s)

East Coast West Spingfield Massachusetts 2017.jpg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 02:53    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

Looking at the picture of Peter, that is one man I would not like to meet on the battle field!

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

John Betts

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 06:40    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

After years of enduring shoplifters and abuse to my minerals, I decided to stop selling at this show. This is my first August in 27 years that I do not have to spend preparing for, and selling at the Springfield show.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 06:43    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

John, I am sorry to hear that you have had so many problems at the show. It is a real pain when things are damaged or stolen.

John Betts

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 06:56    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

The booths are very long (40 feet?) and I am there alone. If I was at one end of the booth, there was no way to guard the opposite end.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 07:49    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

John Betts wrote:
The booths are very long (40 feet?) and I am there alone. If I was at one end of the booth, there was no way to guard the opposite end.

Security cameras (which are easy to install) are a great deterrent, but if you have to guard your specimens the whole time, it is not worth it. Sad that some grow their mineral collections by stealing :-(

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 08:38    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
Looking at the picture of Peter, that is one man I would not like to meet on the battle field!

Pierre, unless you're reaching for a rock I want, you're safe.

John, if we follow Pierres logic you should have hired me for security. Unfortunately as minerals have gotten more valuable the theft rate has increased dramatically as has the impact of a single theft

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 09:06    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

Peter Megaw wrote:
Pierre Joubert wrote:

Pierre, unless you're reaching for a rock I want, you're safe...

Are you sure?

💀💀💀💀💀

😁😁😁😁😁

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 09:16    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

What do you suppose is the difference between a hotel show like the Inn Suites, Tucson and an arena show, like the East Coast in terms of theft? The intimate nature of the hotel room seems like it would make a difference. John's point about 40' to cover and pay attention to customers is spot on. Good help is hard to find. Small digital camera systems would be a deterrent and help identify perpetrators, possibly.

IMG_1354.JPG
 Description:
There are plenty of opportunities.
 Viewed:  27811 Time(s)

IMG_1354.JPG

lluis

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 09:56    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

Good afternoon, All

My condolences to John.
It is really annoying to have anything stolen....

But seems that is normal in all fairs... Thieves are in all places, and even in Barcelona fair in November, that is relatively small compared with what you are talking about, thieves are there....(or so said me sellers... I am just a buyer/collector...)

Sad.

With best wishes

Lluís

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 10:08    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

A couple of pointers.
First, look at the very front and center of the above picture. At least some of the specimens....the better ones??.....are under glass. Lesson to be learned is that each dealer should consider putting his/her better specimens in some type of case or cabinet or behind them on shelves in their booth or table. Any truly interested customer will never be put off by a better quality specimen just a bit out of the main traffic flow.
Also, some dealers that I know ask customer friends to assist them as part time volunteers watching their merchandise on the tables for several hours during the day. Or they partner with another dealer friend to set up adjacent to one another and watch each others merchandise. BOB

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 11:39    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Peter Megaw wrote:
Pierre Joubert wrote:

Pierre, unless you're reaching for a rock I want, you're safe...

Are you sure?

💀💀💀💀💀

😁😁😁😁😁

I was wondering why John (Betts) don't hire Peter to help him with his shows. All Peter needs to do is stand around; no one will steal (anything) :-)

lluis

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 12:05    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

Hi, Pierre

You do not know what thieves do in Barcelona...
Just they do it well.... (do bad things well sounds odd to my ears.... :-()

It is not a question of force. They could stole your underpants while you wear your pants... Without you feeling the fact... until too late...
Good for magicians, bad persons...

With best wishes

Lluís

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2017 13:25    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

In my experience there is less theft at Springfield than at hotel shows. I'm convinced that having to pay an entrance fee discourages some of the lowest class of thieves. At hotel shows, with free entrance even for people who are sleeping in their cars, there is a lot more theft than at Springfield. Of course there are "high end" thieves too, for whom a $10 entrance charge is no discouragement, and those folk are of course more likely to target John Betts' fine crystals than my ugly rare species. (Should I feel insulted that so few people want to steal ugly rare species?)

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2017 07:35    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

alfredo wrote:
...and those folk are of course more likely to target John Betts' fine crystals than my ugly rare species. (Should I feel insulted that so few people want to steal ugly rare species?)

We don't want you to feel insulted Alfredo. Shall we send someone over to make you feel better? :-)

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2017 07:47    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

vic rzonca wrote:
alfredo wrote:
...and those folk are of course more likely to target John Betts' fine crystals than my ugly rare species. (Should I feel insulted that so few people want to steal ugly rare species?)

We don't want you to feel insulted Alfredo. Shall we send someone over to make you feel better? :-)

Vic, if finally Alfredo agrees, then please send to me these specimens stolen to him. Thank you 😜😜😜

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2017 08:46    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

Jordi, they're going to be awfully ugly. Not only that, but really, really rare and impossible to pronounce their names. Alfredo, is that flyspeck or a mineral?

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2017 09:12    Post subject: Re: West Springfield, MA. August 11 - 13, 2017, The East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Sho  

alfredo wrote:
In my experience there is less theft at Springfield than at hotel shows. I'm convinced that having to pay an entrance fee discourages some of the lowest class of thieves. At hotel shows, with free entrance even for people who are sleeping in their cars, there is a lot more theft than at Springfield. Of course there are "high end" thieves too, for whom a $10 entrance charge is no discouragement, and those folk are of course more likely to target John Betts' fine crystals than my ugly rare species. (Should I feel insulted that so few people want to steal ugly rare species?)

You've got your thief characterization backwards Alfredo...it would take an educated and knowledgeable thief to steal profitably from you...any idiot can swipe a colorful tourmaline.

Index -> Mineral Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: