We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 03:19

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Black or very dark background?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John S. White
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2017 14:22    Post subject: Black or very dark background?  

Here is the old stone thrower back again with a new topic that might generate some discussion. I do not mean to pick on The Mineralogical Record, after all I have a paternal relationship with the journal. That said I am using the new publication, that many non-U.S. subscribers have perhaps not seen yet, as a reference - "Mineral Collections in California." In paging through it I could not help but notice that an estimated 95% or so of the photographs have a black or very dark background. I am not at all sure that a dark background complements the specimens illustrated nearly as well as a light or white background would do, yet there are very few photographs with white backgrounds for some reason. In the hopes of supporting my theory I am attaching some photos that I have taken of minerals that I acquired very recently at the W. Springfield (Mass.) Show. Any feedback from FMFers would be greatly appreciated.

Quartz - Florida 27-8-5 (after coral) 7.5 cm) (782x800).jpg
 Mineral: Quartz var. agate
 Description:
 Viewed:  10023 Time(s)

Quartz - Florida 27-8-5 (after coral) 7.5 cm) (782x800).jpg

Quartz - Indonesia 27-8-3 (grape agate) 4 cm (649x800).jpg
 Mineral: Quartz var. grape agate
 Locality:
Mamuju area, Sulawesi Barat Province, Indonesia
 Description:
 Viewed:  10004 Time(s)

Quartz - Indonesia 27-8-3 (grape agate) 4 cm (649x800).jpg

Quartz - Uruguay 27-8-1 (with calcite cap) (12 cm) (593x800).jpg
 Mineral: Quartz with a calcite cap
 Locality:
Artigas Department, Uruguay
 Description:
 Viewed:  10023 Time(s)

Quartz - Uruguay 27-8-1 (with calcite cap) (12 cm) (593x800).jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2017 14:56    Post subject: Re: Black or very dark background?  

Softness pictures and sharpness ...
Roger.

Harjo

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2017 14:59    Post subject: Re: Black or very dark background?  

I think sometimes a white background is best and sometimes a light coloured background is to be preferred, it all depends on the specimen and which aspects of the specimen you wish to 'reveal'.
What I always prefer is a setting where the specimen is actually standing on 'solid ground' showing a shadow on the surface on which it stands and doesn't seem to hover in the air. It's a strange mannerism that has crept into mineral photography, hovering specimens. It isn't aesthetically more pleasing as far as I'm concerned and apart from that, minerals usually don't hover.
That's why I prefer a simple crisp piece of paper rather than a glass plate.

bel-landelies-a-calcit27kl.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10019 Time(s)

bel-landelies-a-calcit27kl.jpg

Harjo

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2017 15:00    Post subject: Re: Black or very dark background?  

Here a dark background was best ;-)

au-habachsmaragd2kl.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  9986 Time(s)

au-habachsmaragd2kl.jpg

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2017 16:38    Post subject: Re: Black or very dark background?  

Personally, I have always favored dark backgrounds for two separate reasons. First is purely aesthetic in that I think a dark background tends to focus one's attention solely on the mineral specimen being photographed, which is usually the purpose of the photo.

Secondly, as a photographer, I find that a dark background allows me to concentrate on trying to get a proper exposure for the specimen without having to take into account the brightness of the surrounding. Particularly when photographing a specimen that is dark (or has dark portions) I think a light background can easily overwhelm the image and make it difficult to get a proper exposure on the dark portions of the specimen without the lighter portions of the photo becoming washed out. I think the second and third of John's photos are examples of this. The dark portions of the image appear to me to be underexposed and lacking in detail. One can always boost the darker portions of the image spectrum to bring out some of this detail but this has the effect of reducing contrast and making the image look rather flat. It also tends to increase the signal to noise ratio in the darker portions of the image.

Dealing with high contrast specimens is always a bit of a challenge, but I usually try to set the exposure so that I don't lose detail in the brightest portions of the image, and work from there. The first photo below is an example - if I used a bright background I would run the risk of overexposing and losing detail in the darker portions of the image, which might be underexposed. If one is photographing a specimen with a dark portion, particularly along the edge, using a completely dark background will keep this portion of the specimen from standing out. In this case, I use a circular reflector card mounted below the glass plate and behind the specimen to produce a subtle halo effect around the specimen without overwhelming the lighter portions of it. This is what I've done in the second photo.

And personally, I rather like it if the specimen seems to be floating in air. Adds a bit of "artiness" without distracting from the documentary nature of the photo.

F395-9427r.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite, Calcite, Sphalerite
 Locality:
Minerva I Mine, Ozark-Mahoning group, Cave-in-Rock Sub-District, Hardin County, Illinois, USA
 Dimensions: 8x7x6 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  9912 Time(s)

F395-9427r.JPG

F358-7911.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite, Quartz
 Locality:
Minas da Panasqueira, Aldeia de São Francisco de Assis, Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Cova da Beira, Centro, Portugal
 Dimensions: 5x3x2 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  9886 Time(s)

F358-7911.JPG

John Betts

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2017 16:41    Post subject: Re: Black or very dark background?  

I have photographed over 50,000 mineral specimens. The one thing I learned long ago: there is no formula (or background) that works for every mineral.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2017 04:21    Post subject: Re: Black or very dark background?  

I distaste black or very dark backgrounds, with one exception: photographing aquamarine specimens in the sun, with a black background in the shade behind it. The vast majority of times, I use a Sky Blue 5 background with tracing paper. This does not work with blueish mineral specimens. For minerals like amethyst quartz, where I want to show the colours better, I use white. At this stage, I only use white, Royal blue 4; Sky Blue 5 and the black ('in the shade' method).

https://drawingblog.mycoloringland.com/blue-shades/
(link normalized by FMF)

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: