We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 16:11

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
38th Annual New Mexico Mineral Symposium (from Mindat)

Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2017 04:20    Post subject: 38th Annual New Mexico Mineral Symposium (from Mindat)  

Hi,

just found this interesting report about the Annual New Mexico Mineral Symposium on Mindat which also features many "behind the scenes"-impressions from the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (Socorro):

https://www.mindat.org/article.php/2681/38th+Annual+New+Mexico+Mineral+Symposium

Regards
Tobi
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Robert Seitz

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2017 09:37    Post subject: Re: 38th Annual New Mexico Mineral Symposium (from Mindat)  

I will definitely have to visit the next time travelling nearby. It looks like a very nice museum.

Thanks for circulating this.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2017 10:07    Post subject: Re: 38th Annual New Mexico Mineral Symposium (from Mindat)  

I have been to that museum about 15 times and do not tire of going. It has some great specimens all very nicely displayed. The curator is also often available to knowledgeable collectors and/or mineralogists/geologists - a very unique feature of the museum. It is only a short drive from the famous Kelly smithsonite location where I collected so often and spent time talking to Tony Otero who was for a long time in charge of fee collecting there [he had been a miner there before and his garage was full of lovely smithsonite - I negotiated to buy it all, but was beaten out by someone I know well ;-(..... Tony has died, and I would imagine his family is still running the fee [minor amount] collecting there. One CAN find some wonderful specimens still, especially if you come soon after they've turned over the huge dumps with bulldozers. Alternatively, just dig down.

Robert Seitz

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2017 10:26    Post subject: Re: 38th Annual New Mexico Mineral Symposium (from Mindat)  

If you are interested in Kelly collecting, take a look at:

https://www.rozylowicz.com/retirement/kelly/kelly.html
(link normalized by FMF)

There is an August 2017 update to this.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2017 10:47    Post subject: Re: 38th Annual New Mexico Mineral Symposium (from Mindat)  

Well according to that update you posted the place has been picked over and they no longer turn over the dumps as Tony O. did. Too bad....well, I guess I got there while the pickin' was still good..... I know they are still finding good things underground, but that is forbidden to enter - although many a geology student from the university has been inside the huge underground workings - often without permission...in fact many of the mines interconnect underground and there are no signs saying 'stop here' [so I'm told]....Blue Sheppard owns some of the mining claims now. There is very nice free camping just East at the end of the pavement in Water Canyon. Tony O. used to let me camp on the Kelly, but I'm sure that isn't possible any more - and it was not a fun place to camp. Water Canyon is very nice!

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2017 10:53    Post subject: Re: 38th Annual New Mexico Mineral Symposium (from Mindat)  

Robert Seitz wrote:

http(:)//www(.)rozylowicz(.)com/retirement/kelly/Kelly(.)html

If you follow this link after cleaning it up, do so with some caution. When I did so and pasted the link in as a URL address, it took me to some high-tech computer equipment web site(!). When I used it as a search term, it led me to the desired web site. I do not know why I got these two different results.

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2017 11:26    Post subject: Re: 38th Annual New Mexico Mineral Symposium (from Mindat)  

Pete Richards wrote:
Robert Seitz wrote:

http(:)//www(.)rozylowicz(.)com/retirement/kelly/Kelly(.)html

If you follow this link after cleaning it up, do so with some caution. When I did so and pasted the link in as a URL address, it took me to some high-tech computer equipment web site(!). When I used it as a search term, it led me to the desired web site. I do not know why I got these two different results.

I will confirm what Pete experienced. There is a typo in the above link that takes you to a website that has nothing to do with the Kelly Mine. The correct link to collecting at the Kelly Mine is as follows:

https://www.rozylowicz.com/retirement/kelly/kelly.html
(Link normalized by FMF)

Also this website appears to have been last updated in 2010 so may not be applicable. There is some interesting historical information and archival photos.

Index -> Mineral Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: