We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-10:12:28 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
29 Mar-09:43:41 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Josele)
29 Mar-09:31:55 Re: identification question (Bob Carnein)
29 Mar-08:09:52 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
29 Mar-07:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
29 Mar-06:20:21 Re: identification question (James Catmur)
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 10:15

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> Featured Columns of FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2009 15:52    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Peter,

Please add to the list the locality of El Hamman, Meknes, Morocco. As soon as I can I will publish a photo of a very nice example from there.

Jordi
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2009 17:18    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Peter,
Here is a photo of pyrrhotite from the Cambokeels Mine in Weardale. The field of view is about 2.5 cm across. I'm pretty sure it at least pyrrhotite to begin with as a number of sections on the surface appear to be "tiled" with small hexagonal plates. As mentioned, no hint of magnetism.

Jesse

Cambo-Pyrrhotite-1br.jpg
 Description:
Pyrrhotite (possibly pseudomorphed by pyrite) from the Cambokeels Mine, Weardale, England. 2.5 cm across.
 Viewed:  27720 Time(s)

Cambo-Pyrrhotite-1br.jpg

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

You're probably right about the pyrrhotite, Jesse, but just in case, check the streak. There are some weird metallic-tarnished wurtzites in Bolivia that have that same stacked-hexagonal-tiles appearance, and a nice black streak would ensure that that tiny bit of doubt could be eliminated.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2009 23:08    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Dark gray/black it is.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2009 06:12    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Here you have the promised image of a Pyrite after Pyrrhotite (and Pyrite coating) from the Fluorite mine of El Hamman, Meknes, Morocco.

Jordi

Pyrite after Pyrrhotite El Hamman.jpg
 Description:
Pyrite after Pyrrhotite coated with a second generation of Pyrite and placed in a Quartz matrix.
El Hamman, Meknes, Morocco
Specimen size: 9 x 4.5 cm.
Crystals size: 2.2 x 2.2 cm.
Mined in 2008
Collection: Jordi Fabre
 Viewed:  27773 Time(s)

Pyrite after Pyrrhotite El Hamman.jpg

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2009 10:10    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Cool pictures guys, great discussion...keep it up PLEASE

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2009 15:39    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Peter, If you were a subscriber to Rocks & Minerals back in 1998, there was an article on a variety of pseudomorphs from Bolivia in vol. 73, # 6, pp 410-414.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 14:58    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Am currently enjoying the Rochester Symposium in western New York state. A few other FMF friends are here, including John White, and Gail. In the display cases there are a number of fine pseudomorph specimens that might be relevant to Pete's study:

Siderite @ pyrrhotite - Turt, Rumania
Siderite @ calcite - Turt, Rumania
Galena @ pyrrhotite - Herja, Rumania
Siderite @ calcite - Gheturi mine, Rumania (Not in Mindat; do you know it, Jordi?)
Siderite @ calcite - Boldut, Rumania
Siderite @ calcite - Broken Hill mine, Aggeneys, South Africa
Tennantite @ chalcocite - Tsumeb
Tennantite @ enargite - Anselmo mine, Butte
Stolzite @ scheelite - Thompson mine, Darwin, CA

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 09, 2009 07:27    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Another image of a Pyrite after Pyrrhotite from Sultana Quarry, Cartagena, Murcia, Spain. On this case covered by Sphalerite.

Pyrite after Pyrrhotite with Sphalerite - Sultana Mine.jpg
 Description:
Pyrite after Pyrrhotite and Sphalerite
Sultana Quarry, Cartagena, Murcia, Spain
12 X 10 cms.
Photo and specimen: Felipefosil ( http://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20265#20265 )
 Viewed:  27551 Time(s)

Pyrite after Pyrrhotite with Sphalerite - Sultana Mine.jpg

Azogue

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2009 09:06    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

I am rather late to enter the discussion!

Anyway, I just fell on your question: "does anyone know of a Sn component in (a few world ore deposits) and Trepca.

The answer for Trepca is YES. Stannite (but just a little!). The run of mine ore contains around 36 ppm Sn.

mmauthner

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2009 10:11    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

OK, many months down the line, but I finally located an old image of a pyrite pseudomorph after pyrrhotite from the Nanisivik mine. Unfortunately, I took this with a Nikon 990 over ten years ago, of course in jpg format, which has had years of compression artifacts added. Second, the specimen has since gone to its next mineralogical life as a pile of rubble and sulphuric acid.
Note that this is unequivocally a "pyrrhotite" habit and could not be mistaken for a twinned marcasite. The pyrite after marcasite pseudomorphs I find hard to imagine as being confused with pyrite after pyrrhotite as the angles are quite a bit different. Pyrrhotite rosettes are hexagonal with axis angles at 60 degrees from one another; twinned marcasite looks more like "fivelings" (never complete; usually only up to three axes showing) with axes at 75 degrees to one another.

Cheers,
Mark

mm837_from dng.jpg
 Description:
Pyrite pseudomorph after pyrrhotite. Nanisivik min, Baffin Island, Nunavut, Canada. About 3.5 cm across.
 Viewed:  26998 Time(s)

mm837_from dng.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 03:08    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Not exactly Pyrite after Pyrrhotite but quite interesting, I believe. It is from Turt, Satu Mare, Rumania where other Pyrites after Pyrrhotite appeared in the past.

Chalcopyrite after Pyrrhotite - Turt Rumania.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite after Pyrrhotite rosettes with Galena and minor Sphalerite.
Turt, Satu Mare, Rumania
Mined in 2000
Specimen size: 10.5 × 8.5 cm = 4.1” × 3.3”
Photo: Reference Specimens -> http://www.fabreminerals.com/specimens/RSRO-rumania-notable-specimens.php#T62Q
 Viewed:  26729 Time(s)

Chalcopyrite after Pyrrhotite - Turt Rumania.jpg

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 07:19    Post subject: Re: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Mark and Jordi...glad to see the thread is alive...thanks for both pictures.

Mark, I agree these are clearly ex-pyrrhotite...and on peripheral note I am not surprised they have disintegrated, from what I've seen, the thin platy habit of both pyrrhotite and py ps po seem quite a bit more prone to alter than more elongate crystals.

Jordi, are there any places you can see how far the chalcopyrite has "eaten" into the pyrrhotite and/or is there any residual pyrrhotite left? a magnet can tell.

Satu Mare seems to be fit very nicely with the long-lived, multi-stage genesis hypothesis, which is also exemplified by multple pseudomorphing relationships. Northstar Minerals website is worth a look on this...multiple photographs of elegant pseudomorphs (This is not intended as a plug for Ross...although he deserves it...just a recommendation to check out his pictures)

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 10:42    Post subject: Practical Mineralogy #1: Pyrite pseudomorph after Pyrrhotite - (2)  

Peter Megaw wrote:
Jordi, are there any places you can see how far the chalcopyrite has "eaten" into the pyrrhotite and/or is there any residual pyrrhotite left? a magnet can tell.

Yes Peter, some former Pyrrhotite remained there. I haven't the specimen but I remeber so well the residual Pyrrhotite.

Index -> Featured Columns of FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: