We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
25 Jun-07:00:24 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Zbhjzm)
25 Jun-05:57:40 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Zbhjzm)
25 Jun-05:24:18 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Duncan Miller)
25 Jun-03:42:14 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Zbhjzm)
25 Jun-03:20:15 Re: specimen with white prehnite - any idea on this? (Tobi)
25 Jun-02:25:56 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Duncan Miller)
25 Jun-01:42:13 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Zbhjzm)
24 Jun-23:49:46 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Peter Lemkin)
24 Jun-22:03:12 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Zbhjzm)
24 Jun-17:30:40 Re: quartz comparison (Kevin Schofield)
24 Jun-16:38:37 Re: i’m new to rock collecting...can anyone help identify this? (Maine Gems)
24 Jun-14:33:16 Re: specimen with white prehnite - any idea on this? (Crosstimber)
24 Jun-13:04:52 Specimen with white prehnite - any idea on this? (Tobi)
24 Jun-12:23:55 Re: quartz collecting outings in south africa (Pierre Joubert)
24 Jun-11:25:41 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Peter Lemkin)
24 Jun-11:20:41 Re: i’m new to rock collecting...can anyone help identify this? (Chris)
24 Jun-11:05:00 Quartz comparison (Maine Gems)
24 Jun-10:49:34 Second photo (Maine Gems)
24 Jun-10:48:56 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Zbhjzm)
24 Jun-10:44:58 I’m new to rock collecting...can anyone help identify this? (Maine Gems)
24 Jun-08:25:41 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Peter Lemkin)
24 Jun-00:00:57 Re: micro photos of inclusions in quartz (Zbhjzm)
23 Jun-20:23:24 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Zbhjzm)
23 Jun-18:52:35 Re: faden quartz crystals - (26) (Harjo)
23 Jun-16:27:31 Re: hairlike gold inclusions in quartz?? (Pete Richards)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 25, 2018 12:54

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Similar specimen from Colombia

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2017 13:31    Post subject: Similar specimen from Colombia  

I have just aquired a specimen that is so similar to this specimen http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=52507#52507 from the Collection of Fiebre Verde thread that I can only think it must have come from the same vug/discovery at that source mine!

Each emerald is around 2mm on the top, and they grow 2-4mm out of the rock... and nearly all are perfectly terminated and after a rough count, there are around 150 !!!
Specimen size : 9.9cm L x 2.4cm W x 3.5cm H

I got it from a dealer in the Emerald trade center in Bogotá about a month ago.
(I purchased 2 other pieces, one may also be from the same find, and later discovered that he had one more but didn't have any funds with me at the time to secure that specimen)

emerald-stack-test-002.jpg
 Mineral: Beryl (variety emerald)
 Locality:
Coscuez mining district, Calceteros Mine, Municipio San Pablo de Borbur, Western Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 9.9cm L x 2.4cm W x 3.5cm H
 Description:
 Viewed:  1987 Time(s)

emerald-stack-test-002.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2017 14:28    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

BERGUR,

I have 2 problems with this. First of all, after just joining the forum today.........welcome!!, you seem to have latched onto FIEBRE's collection thread with your specimen. Personally I would not want postings WITH PICTURES of other's collection specimens latched on to my collection thread. Just my opinion.

After reviewing the nearly identical Colombian example previously posted, I agree that they are from the same locality. But, that example also states that CALCITE and quartz are also present. While you don't mention anything other than "emerald", why cannot the green crystals be predominantly or wholly Colombian green calcites? I am no emerald expert, so just convince me that all the green crystals are, in fact, emerald crystals.
BOB

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2017 14:45    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

Bob Harman wrote:
BERGUR,

I have 2 problems with this. First of all, after just joining the forum today.........welcome!!, you seem to have latched onto FIEBRE's collection thread with your specimen. Personally I would not want postings WITH PICTURES of other's collection specimens latched on to my collection thread. Just my opinion...

Fixed

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2017 14:45    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

Bob Harman wrote:
BERGUR,

I have 2 problems with this. First of all, after just joining the forum today.........welcome!!, you seem to have latched onto FIEBRE's collection thread with your specimen. Personally I would not want postings WITH PICTURES of other's collection specimens latched on to my collection thread. Just my opinion.

After reviewing the nearly identical Colombian example previously posted, I agree that they are from the same locality. But, that example also states that CALCITE and quartz are also present. While you don't mention anything other than "emerald", why cannot the green crystals be predominantly or wholly Colombian green calcites? I am no emerald expert, but just my opinion.
BOB

Thank you Jordi Fabre for moving my post into a seperate thread... beginners mistake.
And for fixing the links in my post :-)

I am sorry, being new I didn't realize that the thread was a private collection as I followed a link from a search on emeralds (on this site) to this thread (which I mistakingly thought was a single post)

My specimen is a certified emerald from a seller in the Emerald trade center and so I have no doubts about what it is (and even tho new to this mineral forum I'm not that new to emeralds and feel decently secure in my purchase) .

As I've not performed any tests on the other minerals present in my specimen I didn't want to specify, tho there are others there. And with the extreme variety in the Colombian emeralds I've seen, it seems highly unlikely that the specimens in question are from different locations, tho my suggestion is merely that... a suggestion.

As such I thought the owner of the thread might be interested in seeing my post. that I hope can be entertaining and informative to the possible existence of further specimens from the initial vug.

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2017 15:27    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

Hi Bergur,

Welcome to this Forum!

Agree with Bob - the similarity is striking. There is very little doubt that your specimen is from Calceteros.

From what I can see in your picture, the beryl crystals are grouped into aggregates of short light green prisms with a strong yellow secondary color.
I haven't seen this feature in any other Colombian locality.
Also the black shale host rock seems to be coarse-grained which is another feature of Calceteros (Although not exclusive to this locality)
Did you identify the yellowish (oxidized?) crystals in the middle and in the left of the specimen? Albite? Else?

Anyway, congratulations for your find!
Calceteros may not exhibit the most expected color for a Colombian emerald, but I find it quite appealing.

Gérard

PS: Thanks Jordi for fixing the thread!

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2017 15:47    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

Fiebre Verde wrote:
Agree with Bob - the similarity is striking. There is very little doubt that your specimen is from Calceteros.

From what I can see in your picture, the beryl crystals are grouped into aggregates of short light green prisms with a strong yellow secondary color.
Also the black shale host rock seems to be coarse-grained which is another feature of Calceteros (Although not exclusive to this locality)
Did you identify the yellowish (oxidized?) crystals in the middle and in the left of the specimen? Albite? Else?

Hello, Gerard,
sorry for posting in your thread, but it was corrected before I could apologize there.
Glad you did see this where it ended up tho :-)

I have not yet 100% identified the other minerals on the specimen, but despite image quality, you are right in the coarse grainyness of the black shale.
There are more of the lightly rust-oxide stained crystals on the back of my specimen, and they do fit what I've seen described as albite (visual comparison by me on mindat.org).

On my other one that I believe to be from there, as well as the last piece still in Bogota there are other crystals too... which I believe to be quartz in both cases.
There may be more, but I just got back from my trip and have not yet exhaustively examined the specimen.

Bergur

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2017 16:02    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson wrote:
Fiebre Verde wrote:

Hello, Gerard,
sorry for posting in your thread, but it was corrected before I could apologize there.
Glad you did see this where it ended up tho :-)

I have not yet 100% identified the other minerals on the specimen, but despite image quality, you are right in the coarse grainyness of the black shale.
There are more of the lightly rust-oxide stained crystals on the back of my specimen, and they do fit what I've seen described as albite (visual comparison by me on mindat.org).

On my other one that I believe to be from there, as well as the last piece still in Bogota there are other crystals too... which I believe to be quartz in both cases.
There may be more, but I just got back from my trip and have not yet exhaustively examined the specimen.

Bergur

No problem at all Bergur!

Coarse-grained black shale is mainly found in Peñas Blancas which is the nearest known locality from Calceteros.
It would be nice if you could post some closeups with the quartz.

Gérard

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2017 16:08    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

I will try to take some pictures tomorrow and post of the other one :-)

Bergur

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2017 13:22    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

Here is an image of my other piece I believe to be from exactly same location, less emeralds, but other crystals. Emeralds are of nearly same size and hue and again nearly all with perfect terminations.

emerald2-stack-test-004.jpg
 Mineral: Beryl (variety Emerald)
 Locality:
Coscuez mining district, Calceteros Mine, Municipio San Pablo de Borbur, Western Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: W 9.9cm x H 6.6cm x D 2.8cm
 Description:
Probably Quartz and Dolomite present. Back side has same types, but all crystals are micro-sized.
 Viewed:  1662 Time(s)

emerald2-stack-test-004.jpg

emerald2-stack-test-005.jpg
 Mineral: Beryl (variety Emerald)
 Locality:
 Dimensions: W 9.9cm x H 6.6cm x D 2.8cm
 Description:
Backside, sadly a bit worse image-quality.
 Viewed:  1661 Time(s)

emerald2-stack-test-005.jpg

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2017 14:23    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

That's a nice specimen too!
Calcite or dolomite, hard to tell from the picture. You might have to perform an acid test to find out..
If present, quartz is clear in Calceteros - actually quite similar to what is found in Peñas Blancas.

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2017 16:32    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

The larger white-ish crystals don't look like Calcite at all, some have a crystal structure (altho most are a bit deformed) that made me think they were Quartz, just not transparent.
But I also thought it could be Albite?
(I understand it's hard to tell from the image)
...it's of course possible that they're from a different location, despite the similar Emeralds.

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2017 16:55    Post subject: Re: Similar specimen from Colombia  

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson wrote:

...it's of course possible that they're from a different location, despite the similar Emeralds.

Not impossible at all.
When you see many specimens in the market which look alike, your chances to pinpoint the exact locality increase significantly.
This is how I found out about Calceteros in 2013.

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: