We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 05:28

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2018
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2017 19:43    Post subject: Tucson Show 2018  

Talking about Tucson 2018... 2018 Tucson HTCC status

Welcome to the craziest Show in the world (and this year even more!) 😋😋😋

More to come...
European correspondent of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show®

Tucson Show 2018.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  56460 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2018.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2018 08:21    Post subject: Tucson Show 2018 - The FMF party in Tucson 2018 will have to be canceled!  

So sorry to tell you that our annual party will have to be canceled because Casa Vicente has serious structural problems and that will keep it closed for an unexpectedly very long period (see: https://www.casavicente.com/ )

As you know very well we have used this restaurant from the start as our headquarters for the party and, honestly, it is so late we can't find another right place for such a large party. Sorry to warn you a little bit late but we just received this bad news. Vicente tried to get the restaurant opened for us right up until the last minute but finally he had to cancel the party because the space will not be available 😳

Anyway, a part of the party, the SMMP party that Gail & Jim Spann sponsor, is moving to another spot. Due to the circumstances it should be a much smaller party, and the invitations have already been sent, so if you are not invited, sorry but they did their best and thanks to their grace and fast reaction at least their part is saved 👍

If we meet in Tucson we can talk about it and in any case you will find all kinds of information about the Tucson Show 2018 in this thread.

Jordi (on behalf of the FMF Forum)

Closed.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  55937 Time(s)

Closed.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2018 13:34    Post subject: Tucson Show 2018 - The atomization of the Tucson Shows  

Barcelona 01/13/2018

A few days ago I received a flyer from a dealer and saw that he will exhibit in 4 different locations in Tucson 2018 and when I went to look at the website of one of these shows that I did not know I saw that the correspondent website was for sale! 😱

That made me think two things, the atomization of the Tucson Shows seems to have no end (51 Shows referred to minerals this year) and that makes it impossible to see them all even being there for three weeks.
My second consideration has been: "I need a useful guide for to be able to know what all those shows are, where they are, when they start and when they ends..."
Fortunately the always efficient Xpo Press has a very complete online guide: 2018 Tucson Gem Shows which as its motto says is "The most complete Gem Show schedule anywhere!"
Great job, they even warn about that web page for sale!

Obviously all this has brought me back to the interesting topic of The overall health of this hobby and it has made me think that maybe so much dispersion could be one of the reasons for the discouragement expressed by several FMFers in relation to their attendance to the Shows of Minerals.

More to come...

2018 Tucson Shows - Xpo Press.jpg
 Description:
One example of how the excellent web page: http://www.tucsongemshows.net/coming.html from Xpo Press looks like
 Viewed:  55633 Time(s)

2018 Tucson Shows - Xpo Press.jpg

Tucson 2018 New Mineral Show.jpg
 Description:
One of the new Shows -the "New" Show 😁- introduced in Tucson on past year
 Viewed:  55578 Time(s)

Tucson 2018 New Mineral Show.jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2018 14:08    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

For information on the Hotel Tucson City Center please go to:
https://www.mzexpos.com/tucson

and click on HTCC Dealers

You will see a list of all the dealers in alphabetical order with location.

From what I have read and heard about Tucson 2018 is that one large venue may have parking problems and another plumbing problems and another structural problems, the latter not being a mineral venue.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2018 12:11    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

For me the show starts when Adam Wright and Erika Aheimer arrive in Tucson to open the most recent shipping containers of Crocoite from the Adelaide Mine. This past collecting season was average at best for the team but there was one notable hit - a small vug that Adam says produced the best quality crystals since the most recent mining adventure started.

The vug was (regrettably) small but the crystals were vivid red, gemmy, very lustrous with clear lustrous chisel terminations. A few photos are attached for your viewing pleasure. Only about a dozen specimens are available.

A few years ago Adam encountered what he called the Black Forest pocket which were crocoite xls fully/partially altered to manganese oxides. The delicacy of the pieces though didn't allow them to survive shipping and they all went mineral heaven. This year's shipment had a few pieces that Adam stabilized at the mine and they arrived fully intact. Not the most attractive specimens but totally unique pieces.

One more week till the real action starts.

bob

DSCN6556a.JPG
 Mineral: Crocoite
 Locality:
Adelaide Mine, Dundas mineral field, Zeehan District, West Coast Council, Tasmania, Australia
 Dimensions: 3.5cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  55332 Time(s)

DSCN6556a.JPG

DSCN6546a.JPG
 Locality:
Adelaide Mine, Dundas mineral field, Zeehan District, West Coast Council, Tasmania, Australia
 Dimensions: 11cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  55386 Time(s)

DSCN6546a.JPG

DSCN6543a.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 3.5 cm each
 Description:
 Viewed:  55306 Time(s)

DSCN6543a.JPG

DSCN6551a.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 3.5cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  55304 Time(s)

DSCN6551a.JPG

DSCN6560.JPG
 Mineral: Crocoite altered to Mn oxides
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 12cm
 Description:
crocoite needles fully/partially altered to manganese oxides
 Viewed:  55309 Time(s)

DSCN6560.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2018 12:22    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018 - The atomization of the Tucson Shows  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Barcelona 01/13/2018

A few days ago I received a flyer from a dealer and saw that he will exhibit in 4 different locations in Tucson 2018 and when I went to look at the website of one of these shows that I did not know I saw that the correspondent website was for sale! 😱

Note that Tucson's New Mineral Show had to move it's location. Instead of the old movie complex south of Grant it is now in a facility NORTH of Grant pretty much across the street from the old venue.

see: https://tucsonsnewmineralshow.com/location.php

bob

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2018 00:42    Post subject: WL show poster  

Like many of you, I received a post card in the mail advertising the 2018 WL show. The material behind the beryl on the upper right looks so metallic that i wondered if this could be a rare association with beryl. I puzzled over it for a minute or so before i realized that the metallic look is probably just a trick of lighting making something, probably mica, look metallic.

Am I the only one who spent any time puzzling over this?

What do people think (or know in the case of those who know the specimen) the metallic-looking material is?

westward-look_poster_tucson2018.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  54902 Time(s)

westward-look_poster_tucson2018.jpg

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2018 01:04    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

I don't know what that mineral is, Matt; like you say, the metallic luster might just be an artifact of the lighting. But I would like to point out that truly metallic minerals can occasionally appear in pegmatites. I have a lovely thumbnail "star" of twinned arsenopyrite that came out of a microcline and smoky quartz pocket in a pegmatite in Japan.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2018 02:18    Post subject: Re: WL show poster  

Matt_Zukowski wrote:
Like many of you, I received a post card in the mail advertising the 2018 WL show. The material behind the beryl on the upper right looks so metallic that i wondered if this could be a rare association with beryl. I puzzled over it for a minute or so before i realized that the metallic look is probably just a trick of lighting making something, probably mica, look metallic. Am I the only one who spent any time puzzling over this? What do people think (or know in the case of those who know the specimen) the metallic-looking material is?
This is cassiterite on a aquamarine/muscovite specimen from Mount Xuebaoding, China ;-)

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2018 03:28    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

Years ago, near Madrid, I found a pocket of loose arsenopyrite crystals (they had been with with laumontite, I suspect) in the La Cabrera pegmatites. They are ugly but unusual.

alfredo wrote:
I don't know what that mineral is, Matt; like you say, the metallic luster might just be an artifact of the lighting. But I would like to point out that truly metallic minerals can occasionally appear in pegmatites. I have a lovely thumbnail "star" of twinned arsenopyrite that came out of a microcline and smoky quartz pocket in a pegmatite in Japan.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2018 03:36    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

As Tobi says well the metallic mineral at the right side upper the Beryl of the image is Cassiterite.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2018 16:41    Post subject: It's back!!  

You can't keep a good name down. The Desert Inn days are back. What used to be the Day's Inn is now the Desert Inn.

bob

IMG_0521.JPG
 Description:
the NEW Desert Inn - or the old Day's Inn
 Viewed:  54434 Time(s)

IMG_0521.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2018 16:59    Post subject: it's getting closer  

I was down at the Tucson Showplace today and ran into Luis Burillo and Jose as they were preparing some specimens for the show.

Luis dug out a few oldies - one from about 15-20 years ago from Herja - stibnite flowers with boulangerite on quartz "diamonds" (little double terminated quartzes).

The other from Panasqueira - a huge quartz point with "everything" included. "Everything" that Panasqueira produced anyway - arsenopyrite, apatite, and who knows what else.

Nice to see that there's still some old dusty stuff still around the warehouses of Tucson.

bob

IMG_0527.JPG
 Description:
Luis Burillo washing a Herja specimen.
 Viewed:  54476 Time(s)

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG
 Mineral: Stibnite and Boulangerite on Quartz
 Locality:
Herja Mine, Chiuzbaia, Baia Sprie, Maramures, Romania
 Description:
Luis estimated that this was sitting in the warehouse for 15 or 20 years. Note the double terminated quartzes on stalagmites
 Viewed:  54399 Time(s)

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG
 Description:
Luis holding a freshly washed quartz point from Panasqueira.
 Viewed:  54411 Time(s)

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz with numerous inclusions
 Locality:
Minas da Panasqueira, Aldeia de São Francisco de Assis, Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Cova da Beira, Centro, Portugal
 Description:
Note the many inclusions. Luis says "everything" from Panasqueira is included.
 Viewed:  54404 Time(s)

IMG_0537.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2018 18:08    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

BOB and others,
I notice that they are interesting specimens, but the down side is that, according to your posting, they seem to have been sitting, gathering dust and costing the warehouse fees for 15 - 20 years. The bottom line is that they haven't sold. I suggest you put the specimens and their owner out of unsold misery and buy them at this year's show!

In a related topic to this and Tucson (including all shows) is that I have just completed a short very non-scientific anecdotal study looking at 9 mid-level Midwest dealers (dealers known to me), looking at their show attendance over the past 7 or 8 years. I looked at their all inclusive expenses including travel and at each of the shows they attended vs all their sales/income at those same shows. Several of my findings might surprise some of you. I will start a thread covering that topic within a day or two. BOB

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2018 23:59    Post subject: Tucson Show 2018 - No problem with the parking lot of the HTCC-InnSuites  

Tucson 01/24/2018

Just arrived to the terrorific Tucson I have been able to verify that in what refers to the HTCC-InnSuites Hotel there is no reason for the terror. The organizers have hired a free parking lot for visitors, really huge, and only 5-10 minutes walking to the Hotel. That and the large parking of the same Hotel I think will make everything similar to the previous years, if not better.
Tomorrow I will publish pictures of this new parking lot and better maps, for today here you have the photo of the small printed map offered in the lobby to the visitors by the team of the Fair.

About the Show itself, it seems that about a 1/3 of the dealers are already displaying which, as discussed before, makes the scenario very complex for the small dealers, specially considering that a large dealer, Crystals Classics, was today already in full activity at their different rooms in the HTCC-InnSuites.

More to come...

Tucson 2018 - Terrorific Tucson.jpg
 Description:
The terrorific night of Tucson! ;-)
 Viewed:  53663 Time(s)

Tucson 2018 - Terrorific Tucson.jpg

Tucson 2018 - Parking map.jpg
 Description:
The map of the two extra parkings hired by HTCC-Inn Suites. Please note that the larger and best one is the parking located at Hughes Street
 Viewed:  53699 Time(s)

Tucson 2018 - Parking map.jpg

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2018 21:34    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

One of the major events to open the Tucson Show is the opening of Top Gem Minerals - this year was as good if not better that the past openings. Mike and Jason New had numerous tables of high quality Vera Cruz amethyst and many more tables of Milpillas azurites and pseudomorphs. When it comes to Mexican minerals, it's hard to beat Top Gem. Lots of other material spread out around their warehouse.

After the initial mineral feeding frenzy which lasted till noon - the food feeding frenzy followed with the usual Mexican lunch with Mariachi band providing the entertainment. The perfect sunny day caused us patrons to clean out the beer cooler. The food feeding frenzy was more civilized than the mineral frenzy.

Jason supervised the Milpillas tables and said that this may be the end as the mine has proceeded past the oxide zone and is in the sulfides. I think I heard that 3 years ago also.

more later,
bob

IMG_0547a.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  53376 Time(s)

IMG_0547a.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2018 00:49    Post subject: Tucson Show 2018 - No problem with the parking lot of the HTCC-InnSuites (2)  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
...Tomorrow I will publish pictures of this new parking lot and better maps...

As promised

Tucson 2018 - Aerial view of the HTCC and the new parking lot.jpg
 Description:
With this aerial view you can see how close are the Hotel (with the swimming pool) and the parking (the brown triangle betweeen St. Mary's street and Hughes street, near the highway)
 Viewed:  53394 Time(s)

Tucson 2018 - Aerial view of the HTCC and the new parking lot.jpg

Tucson 2018 - The new parking lot (1).jpg
 Description:
The parking from the other side of St. Mary's
 Viewed:  53233 Time(s)

Tucson 2018 - The new parking lot (1).jpg

Tucson 2018 - The new parking lot (2).jpg
 Description:
closer
 Viewed:  53268 Time(s)

Tucson 2018 - The new parking lot (2).jpg

Tucson 2018 - The new parking lot (3).jpg
 Description:
It is a quiet large space...

It should open on Friday but maybe they will start tomorrow (not sure yet)
 Viewed:  53262 Time(s)

Tucson 2018 - The new parking lot (3).jpg

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2018 21:54    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

the two lots specified by Jordi are (depending on who you believe) reserved for dealers. a few dealers told me about the vehicle tagging details - starting Saturday, dealer cars/trucks/vans parked around the HTCC must be removed to these lots first thing in the morning and they must have a tag (provided by the motel organization) to park in the lots.

a few heard that these are also to be used by the public and went ballistic.

this Saturday will be the true test of how thing work out. it should be interesting!

get there early and hope for the best.

bob

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2018 23:30    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

So, is life not a quest to use our inherent abilities and enthusiasm to reach our goals in style and grace, so as to enhance our miserable existence? Let us endeavor to overcome the imagined, prejudicial and real obstacles to our enjoyment, and chill. I understand what’s at stake for dealers and collectors, and the only reason for my participation in this endeavor is to make it happen as best as I can, and my enthusiasm will not be dampened by a parking inconvenience and a change of what may be my comfort level around a mineral show. Come and enjoy what we have, or don’t. Good luck, bad luck, all the same. Life is change, so try to have fun and be of good cheer. Welcome to Tucson. It’s free parking, not unlimited parking, show me where unlimited parking exists and let’s have a mineral show there. It will be the best.Thanks for you tolerance and patience.

As was mentioned, dealer parking has and will be a primary focus in the satellite lots, but the mixing of dealer and customer parking in the past has been demarcated by caution tape so if there is a complaint of the mixing or co-use of the lots, it seems a bit picayune.

Dealers have already figured out how to beat the “honor system” and our attempts at regulation around no dealers parking on the grounds during the show, so tell me the solution to that. Then a complaint about lack of parking may be taken seriously.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2018 23:42    Post subject: the end of an era  

I stuck my nose into Ross Lillie's room today to say hello and see what he had to offer. His room was practically totally devoid of specimens. I thought that maybe a shipment hadn't come in yet so I asked jokingly if he had sold out already and he matter of factly said YES! He was serious - he had indeed sold essentially everything he brought - three days before the show officially starts!!!

He further mentioned that this will be the last commercial show he will attend - after 35 years of mineral collecting and dealing.

It's a true end of an era - congrats to Ross.

bob

DSCN6631.JPG
 Description:
Ross Lillie and his empty room - three days before the show starts. This is to be his last commercial show.
 Viewed:  52568 Time(s)

DSCN6631.JPG

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 8
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

Jump to: