We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 06:08

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2018
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gagat Minerals

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2018 18:17    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

Just small question - using word 'species' in mineralogy is something like 'collectors slang' ???
Reply to topic Reply with quote

bob kerr

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2018 21:22    Post subject: some other really nice pieces -Tucson Show 2018  

I was organizing all the photos I took at this year's show and here's a few other specimens that caught my eye - thought I'd share them with the FMF bloggers.

bob

DSCN7300a.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite on Quartz
 Locality:
Göscheneralp, Göschenen Valley, Göschenen, Reuss Valley, Uri, Switzerland
 Description:
an amazing piece - a trophy in anyone's display. In the Kristalle booth.
 Viewed:  25223 Time(s)

DSCN7300a.JPG

ludlockite tsumeb b.JPG
 Mineral: Ludlockite
 Locality:
Tsumeb Mine, Tsumeb, Otjikoto Region, Namibia
 Description:
You sure don't see many of these around - a quite rare species found only in very limited quantities. Clive Queit had a few of these in his HTCC booth - this is the best one which he was asking $1500 for.
 Viewed:  25421 Time(s)

ludlockite tsumeb b.JPG

DSCN7257a.JPG
 Mineral: Rutile epitaxic on Hematite with Hyalite
 Locality:
Novo Horizonte, Bahia, Northeast Region, Brazil
 Description:
A pretty amazing association. In the booth of Unique Minerals.
 Viewed:  25236 Time(s)

DSCN7257a.JPG

DSCN7038a.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Description:
There were quite a few of these gemmy and deep purple/blue fluorites around the show. Although very nice, I thought they were just too expensive. But I did get one nice one in one of the Chinese rooms just at closing time. Many of the Chinese people left the show early to beat the Chinese new year rush back home. It was a very good time to shop.
 Viewed:  25285 Time(s)

DSCN7038a.JPG

DSCN7159.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite
 Locality:
Dalnegorsk, Dalnegorsk Urban District, Primorsky Krai, Russia
 Description:
If you can read the signage - it notes that this is a floater and one of the largest single calcite xls found. Stunning no matter what.
 Viewed:  25310 Time(s)

DSCN7159.JPG

DSCN7256a.JPG
 Mineral: Apophyllite-(KF)
 Locality:
Jalgaon District, Maharashtra, India
 Description:
Probably like most of you, I've become somewhat jaded about Indian zeolites - there are just so many good ones out there. But this apophyllite really stands out for it's brilliance. just amazing - needed sunglasses to look at this one.
 Viewed:  25229 Time(s)

DSCN7256a.JPG

DSCN7082a.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite and Copper
 Locality:
Kearsarge Mine, Kearsarge, Houghton County, Michigan, USA
 Description:
And one from the incredible Ralph Clark case. There were sooooooo many great pieces, but this one stood out to me.
 Viewed:  25218 Time(s)

DSCN7082a.JPG

DSCN7046.JPG
 Mineral: Crocoite
 Locality:
Adelaide Mine, Dundas mineral field, Zeehan District, West Coast Council, Tasmania, Australia
 Description:
And finally - this crocoite - the best specimen found at this past year's diggings - was in one of the center piece display cases and you could see it loud and clear well across the floor. It attracted LOTS of photographers.
 Viewed:  25234 Time(s)

DSCN7046.JPG

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2018 18:41    Post subject: Cuprite? in youtube video?  

In a youtube video. At 11:07 they show some drop dead gorgeous xtals of what looks to me like Rubtsovskoe cuprite. Are these Rubtsovskoe cuprites? If they are, holy smokes!

Philip Simmons

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2018 20:19    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

Hi Matt,

Those are actually some of the new carrollites from the DRC.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2018 09:26    Post subject: Tucson 2018 - Some ideas  

A month after Tucson finished I still do not know very well how to explain this last edition and since I do not want to spend more time without doing it, I will just explain four or five ideas and every one can draw their own conclusions.

- The concept "Reference Show" has thinned. I would say that the Main Show, Westward Look, TCC-Inn Suites and the infinite other satellite shows are now part of the great show that is all Tucson and there is not a dominant show but the city of Tucson itself is one "Gigantic Show"

- The number of satellite shows in Tucson increases and increases, so every year there are new shows. Not minor shows but "pocket" shows in which specimens of hundreds of thousands dollars are offered (by appointment).
Shows like the Convention Center have been slowly transforming into a kind of great social event in which the best dealers’ displays occupy very large spaces and they use absolutely stunning exhibition techniques.

- Currently some important shows are actually two shows, the "visible show" and the "parallel show" in which special pieces are offered privately to special customers.

- The divergence between the old (and not easy) emphasis on mineralogy and the current "minerals as art objects" has increased so much that I would say that in fewer and fewer stands and collections both things coexist.

- There is a huge competition for certain pieces and, interestingly, the competition for these "trophy" specimens involves both the seller and the customers.
I mean that both buyers and sellers make great efforts and consume large amounts of energy and money for very few specimens. As a result, the world of the mineral hobby is different today than it was some years ago because it seems than only a very few specimens are highly desirable instead the rest, even if sometimes that "rest" could be extraordinary (in terms of "mineralogical") specimens. It seems that as they are not "baptized" as a trophy according the current rules they don't get the major success that they probably deserve ;-)

What does all this mean? Actually I do not know, I hope I can learn more over the next few years. Learning is the most interesting thing existing!

See you in Tucson 2019

Tucson 2018 - The Mineralogy.jpg
 Description:
I publish this photo as a small tribute to all those who like minerals and we collect them.
Peter Megaw is very happy with his collection and everybody is happy to see it. Like so many mineral collectors did before.The mineralogy is engaging...
 Viewed:  24343 Time(s)

Tucson 2018 - The Mineralogy.jpg

Phil Persson

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2018 11:57    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

Hi All-
Interesting observations, and thanks for sharing the photos, they are great.

I would agree with Jordi's comments regarding the overall state of the Tucson Show- it is healthy and growing overall, but there is also a growing "divergence" between minerals and particular specimens deemed as being highly-collectible and/or competitive, and "everything else." This has manifested itself both as an explosion of new show venues, catering to ever more specialized interests- (e.g. Westward Look Show for "fine minerals", Tsumeb forum for Tsumeb minerals, "Tucson's New Mineral Show" for rare species, locality pieces etc).

While the market for "top" pieces is healthy and highly competitive, the market for minerals which the "average collector" can afford is also growing I think, despite some suggestions to the contrary. However, these collectors, especially the knowledgeable ones who have been collecting minerals for a long time, have to search harder for quality minerals that fit their budget. Due to macroeconomic and political trends of the past ~30 years in North America and Europe, especially in the USA, many of these collectors have seen their real wages and the value of their dollar shrink, so they have to be very creative and thrifty is they want to get high-quality minerals for reasonable prices. Those high-quality specimens for reasonable prices still exist, but it is definitely getting harder to find them, and often they are found not in a dealers booth but through other collectors de-accessioning specimens, or the larger social networks we have as collectors.

I will take my own personal collection as an example. I have been collecting minerals since I was 7 or 8 years old and now at age 31 I find that the quality of minerals I want for my collection and my budget seem to be growing farther and farther apart... ;) Of course the fact that I work for a major mineral dealer (Collector's Edge) and get to handle amazing specimens every day maybe doesn't help this problem! However, I was very happy to find several nice specimens at the Tucson show this year for my own collection that were surprisingly in my budget- the thing is almost none of them were found through "conventional" channels, e.g. a dealer's stand at the show. I purchased a nice Round Mountain Mine crystallized gold from a friend of a friend who was an older gentleman who was getting out of collecting minerals- he had bought the piece some years before when the gold price was significantly lower, and was happy getting back essentially what he paid for the piece, which was great for me. I also got several nice crystallized coppers from Michigan, which I purchased directly from a friend who lives up in the Keweenaw Peninsula and had personally collected them- we had done business before when I was a mineral dealer on my own, and his prices for these specimens was very reasonable. Finally, I bought a very nice Onganja mine cuprite crystal on matrix from another friend, who had acquired it as part of a lucky estate sale find recently where he lives in the Midwestern USA. None of these specimens are anywhere near the quality of the minerals that my company sells at the Westward Look show each year, but I was very happy and grateful to add them to my collection nonetheless. I guess the reason why I am telling this story though is that the way I was able to get these "deals" was just knowing some people in the mineral world, being active in the mineral clubs, online discussions, shows, etc, and I would advise anyone else looking for good minerals for their collection at reasonable prices (which I imagine is all of us!) to consider these "unconventional" acquisition channels.

Likewise, I think sometime exploring a dealer's inventory in more detail can yield good results too. I recently had some geologist friends I went to graduate school with over the our showroom at Collector's Edge. One of them was looking through some drawers in the vault and found a specimen he really liked, and remarked "but I thought you guys only sold really expensive stuff!" It pays to look around. :)

Finally, getting back to the Tucson Show.. I hear a lot of collectors lamenting being "priced out of the hobby" and that the prices for top specimens have gotten astronomically-high. Yes, prices for the top ~1% of minerals have risen dramatically in recent decades, but the cost of these minerals has now made possible activities that would have seemed impossible 30 or 40 years ago, such as major specimen mining projects, as well as large mineral specimen companies with 10+ employees which deal in minerals at all levels. Also, many of these wealthy collectors are active philanthropically in the mineral world, meaning they support museums and universities in various ways. In an era where science literacy seems at an all-time low, particularly earth sciences, these educational activities are sorely needed, and public funding is often lacking.

My only real complaint with the trends in prices is the "linear vs. logarithmic" problem in comparing quality vs. price. What I mean is that it seems now that if a dealer has a 2 cm. broken legrandite crystal on matrix, he/she will compare it's value in a "linear scale" to the famous Aztec Sun legrandite. Therefore, the small broken piece may be priced at $5000 when in reality it is a $50 rock, because the Aztec Sun sold for a 7-figure price. This "false equivalency" principle is the main reason why so many dealers seem to haul around to show after show a huge inventory of "middle level" minerals which never sell.. they are simply not price-competetive in my opinion.

Finally, there are several "emerging markets" I see in mineral collecting right now. Perhaps the most interesting is what I call the "crystal hippy" market (for lack of a better word). You have all seen these people at shows- typically in their 20's 30's, dreadlocks are common, and they love the "jam band" and music festival scene, often traveling around from show to show. Some may be "trustafarians" who present a bohemian lifestyle as a cover for a giant trust fund from mom and dad, but most seem to just be into the lifestyle of traveling around, seeing live music, and yes there is often the "drug component" as well. For some reason, they seem to have become infatuated with minerals, particularly gem crystals, and at the top of that desirability scale for them is elbaite tourmaline. I hope I don't sound too disparaging of these people, in general they are enthusiastic and harmless and we need more young people interested in minerals. However, there are rumors/concerns that a lot of this activity in the mineral world may be a way to, ahem, "clean" money gotten from illicit sources, and more practically, we all have seen the dramatic way prices for even heavily damaged examples of these gem minerals have risen in recent years.

Anyways, just my 2 cents... great discussion!

cheers,
Phil Persson

Don Lum

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2018 20:50    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

Me and Obi-Wan

2018-02-06 085 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23760 Time(s)

2018-02-06 085 (800x450).jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2018 20:57    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

Robert, Jim and Gail

2018-02-04 117 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23757 Time(s)

2018-02-04 117 (800x450).jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2018 20:56    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

Bob Kerr without his tuxedo and skis

2018-02-08 022 (800x450) (2).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23581 Time(s)

2018-02-08 022 (800x450) (2).jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2018 21:03    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

Tucson 2018

2018-02-08 029 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23626 Time(s)

2018-02-08 029 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-08 046 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23634 Time(s)

2018-02-08 046 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-08 051 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23570 Time(s)

2018-02-08 051 (800x450).jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2018 21:08    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

Re: Tucson Show 2018

2018-02-08 056 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23585 Time(s)

2018-02-08 056 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-08 060 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23590 Time(s)

2018-02-08 060 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-08 061 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23597 Time(s)

2018-02-08 061 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-08 063 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23538 Time(s)

2018-02-08 063 (800x450).jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2018 21:21    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

2018-02-09 002 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
Dr. and Mrs. Pete Richards
 Viewed:  23550 Time(s)

2018-02-09 002 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-09 100 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
Dr. Pete Modreski
 Viewed:  23521 Time(s)

2018-02-09 100 (800x450).jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2018 12:37    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

2018-02-04 026 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23346 Time(s)

2018-02-04 026 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-04 032 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23312 Time(s)

2018-02-04 032 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-04 037 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23348 Time(s)

2018-02-04 037 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-04 044 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23385 Time(s)

2018-02-04 044 (800x450).jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2018 12:59    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

2018-02-06 001 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23318 Time(s)

2018-02-06 001 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-06 013 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23309 Time(s)

2018-02-06 013 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-06 023 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23277 Time(s)

2018-02-06 023 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-06 026 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23359 Time(s)

2018-02-06 026 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-06 132 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23295 Time(s)

2018-02-06 132 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-06 136 (450x800).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23299 Time(s)

2018-02-06 136 (450x800).jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2018 13:12    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

2018-02-08 025 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
Greg Toomey describing the size of his Azurite specimen
 Viewed:  23280 Time(s)

2018-02-08 025 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-08 048 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23293 Time(s)

2018-02-08 048 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-08 072 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23285 Time(s)

2018-02-08 072 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-08 171 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23281 Time(s)

2018-02-08 171 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-08 179 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23285 Time(s)

2018-02-08 179 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-08 251 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
Dr. Eloïse Gaillou
 Viewed:  23446 Time(s)

2018-02-08 251 (800x450).jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2018 14:12    Post subject: Tucson Show 2018 - A little jewel  

Internet often gives us delicious surprises. Today while searching for something else I have happened to find this little jewel with the history of the first times of this mega-Show from a personal vision, full of endearing anecdotes:
https://www.interweave.com/article/jewelry/tucson-show-guide-posts/tucson-shows-got-start-history/

Do not miss the photos, a lot of history in each of them...

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2018 16:39    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

2018-02-04 143 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  22727 Time(s)

2018-02-04 143 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-04 185 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  22722 Time(s)

2018-02-04 185 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-04 094 (800x450).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  22762 Time(s)

2018-02-04 094 (800x450).jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2018 16:56    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

2018-02-04 091 (450x800).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  22703 Time(s)

2018-02-04 091 (450x800).jpg

bob kerr

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2018 18:26    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

Don Lum wrote:

Don - seems that skiers are prone to dress up in unique outfits - a tux is quite sophisticated compared to the second photo attached.

bob

tux ski 1 tilt 800.jpg
 Description:
this is actually the cheapest ski outfit i own - got the entire thing for $25 at a second hand store.
 Viewed:  21934 Time(s)

tux ski 1 tilt 800.jpg

DSCN4676a.jpg
 Description:
this is no doubt the most expensive of ski outfits. pretty crazy, huh? taken in Palau of one of the SCUBA instructors.
 Viewed:  21931 Time(s)

DSCN4676a.jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2018 19:07    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2018  

bob kerr wrote:
Don Lum wrote:

Don - seems that skiers are prone to dress up in unique outfits - a tux is quite sophisticated compared to the second photo attached.

bob

Never cease to amaze, Bob. Do you have a Double O number?

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 7 of 8
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

Jump to: