We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 00:41

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2009 - The Year of the Demantoid

Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2009 15:45    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines Show 2009 - The Year of the Demantoid  

Barcelona 06/20/2009

This year in Ste. Marie the novelties (plural) seems to be one (singular) mineral species: Andradite (Demantoid) due the coincidence of two findings of this species in two very different countries.

In the famous Jeffrey Quarry in Asbestos, Quebec, Canada, and despite being abandoned and flooded, local enthusiasts still find things. On April 25 of 2009, on the south side of the quarry and about 200 meters deep, people found a small pocket with beautiful garnets. The first impression was that they were green Grossular (chromium rich), but the color, slightly different from other Grossulars found there previously, and their association with white amphiboles, made me suspicious and I ordered an analysis, showing them to be Andradite variety Demantoid. Although is not the first time that this species was found in the Jeffrey Quarry, its quality and the association make them different, and as you can see in the picture, they also are very nice.

On the other hand in Ambanja, Department of Diana, Madagascar, and in an unusual site, a kind of platform washed by the sea and about 9 meters deep beneath seaweed, and organic matter were also found Demantoid, single crystals or clusters, with a large crystal size (it seems that up to 2 cm.) and with an excellent transparency and sharpness.
As typical in Madagascar when something gemmy appears, a crowd of people gather at the deposit (I hear that there are currently 14,000 people searching Demantoid there!), so we should follow the developments of this find, since it appears to be very prolific, and therefore the possibility of a lot of specimens coming to the market.

You can find more information about this find (in French language) using these two links:

https://www.lexpressmada.com/index.php?p=display&id=26959
and
https://www.gemnantes.fr/recherche/autre/demantoide_mada.php

At the moment, it seems there are no photos online of these Demantoids, but on the website of the University of Nantes they promise to publish soon photos of the site and of some samples. Anyway, if I get in Sainte Marie some Demantoid from some of the many dealers operating in Madagascar that I'm sure will bring specimens there, I will publish photos of them here.

More to come...

Andradite-Demantoid Canada.jpg
 Description:
One example of the find of Andradite-Demantoid from Jeffrey Quarry in Canada. As you can see in the picture, they are colorful, with a nice green color and a good contrast with the white matrix.
Specimen size: 3 x 4 cm.
 Viewed:  63452 Time(s)

Andradite-Demantoid Canada.jpg

The place of the Demantoid find.jpg
 Description:
This is the area of the Jeffrey Quarry where the Demantoid appeared. It is the same area of the Vesuvianites, on the south side of the Quarry, about 200 meters deep. We can see the precise place marked by two white lines.
As far as I know, this area has been dug, and currently there are no more specimens.
 Viewed:  63346 Time(s)

The place of the Demantoid find.jpg

Analysis of the Canadian Demantoid.jpg
 Description:
Copy of the analysis of the Andradite (Demantoid) from Jeffrey Quarry.
 Viewed:  63364 Time(s)

Analysis of the Canadian Demantoid.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2009 16:21    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 2009 Show - (1)  

Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 06/21/2009

Today we arrived to Ste. Marie. Two photos of the day.

More to come...

Coach from Ste. Marie in Lyon.jpg
 Description:
What a coincidence! We taken a break in our route to Ste. Marie at a service area of Lyon, and what was there?, a coach from Ste Marie-Val d'Argent with pictures of quartz. With a so big world and a so small Ste Marie! ;-)
 Viewed:  63231 Time(s)

Coach from Ste. Marie in Lyon.jpg

Sainte Marie's party.jpg
 Description:
Ste. Marie looks more and more like a party. Today Sunday, three days before the start of the Show, there already are attractions, music and street kiosks. ¡Azúcar!....
 Viewed:  63203 Time(s)

Sainte Marie's party.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 16:10    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 2009 Show - (2)  

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 06/22/2009

Cold day today with continuous changes of weather and the typical bzzzz between visitors before the opening of the Exhibition.

Great news: Dave Wilbur who had serious health problems in Tucson, has been recovered and he is here for the first time since 1998. I was delighted to meet him.

More to come...

Sainte Marie aux Mines 2009 - Place Foch empty.jpg
 Description:
Today has been a nasty day, quite cold, causing something that until now I had never seen: the coffee from the Plaza Foch was empty.
This coffee is always overflowing, because is the "meeting point" of the Fair to be front the main entrance. Gives a strange feeling to view it so empty.
 Viewed:  63298 Time(s)

Sainte Marie aux Mines 2009 - Place Foch empty.jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 anti-parking.jpg
 Description:
At Ste Marie they are direct. Cars park on sidewalks? not problems! ;-)
 Viewed:  63140 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 anti-parking.jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - Dave Wilbur.jpg
 Description:
Dave Wilbur at Ste Marie, now fully recovered of his health problems.
 Viewed:  63238 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - Dave Wilbur.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 16:28    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 2009 Show - (3)  

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 06/23/2009

Today was the setup day. No time for anything more than publish a photo of this beautiful historic drawing.

More to come...

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - historic drawing.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  63235 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - historic drawing.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2009 16:08    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 2009 Show - (4)  

Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 06/24/2009

Very few novelties this year (once again). The new Demantoids from Madagascar have not yet been exposed, and for the rest, just two things to note. Some Quartz (Amethyst) doubly terminated, floaters, with no matrix but very nice, due to a double colorful phantom on the inside, mined from somewhere between Akka and Goulmine in Morocco, and also some pretty Rosasites from the Ojuela Mine, having good color. Not much more.

More to come...

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - nice building.jpg
 Description:
One of the fascinating mansions of Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines.
 Viewed:  62888 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - nice building.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2009 16:03    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 2009 Show - (5)  

Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 06/25/2009

Another novelty at the Show!. In March of this year, local collectors found a pocket in Knappenwand, Austria, with several samples of the famous Epidote with Actinolite (Byssolite). They found very few pieces, but all are excellent, although there are several that are repaired.

On the other hand, finally I have seen some of the famous Demantoid from Madagascar and, as shown in the photo, the transparency and shape are extraordinary, but the color is not as good as I expected.

More to come...

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - Epidote Knappenwand.jpg
 Description:
One of the elegant Knappenwand Epidotes. Exhibited by Watzl Minerals in the Theater, here in Ste Marie.
 Viewed:  62693 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - Epidote Knappenwand.jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - Demantoid Madagascar.jpg
 Description:
This is one of the best Demantoids from Madagascar. The crystals are in matrix and they measured about 1 cm. The piece is from Laurent Thomas (Polychrome Minerals) who has kindly given to us permission to photograph it.
 Viewed:  62700 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - Demantoid Madagascar.jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - Demantoid Madagascar detail.jpg
 Description:
Close up view of the same sample.
 Viewed:  62747 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - Demantoid Madagascar detail.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2009 15:47    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 2009 Show - (6)  

Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 06/26/2009

School day today.

More to come...

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - school day.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  62561 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - school day.jpg

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2009 16:01    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 2009 Show - (7)  

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 27/06/2009

This is one of the new Amethyst Quartzes from Morocco, doubly terminated and with a double phantom in the form of a "hour glass". Apparently they appear somewhere between Akka and Goulmina in a kind of limestone terrain.

I'm sorry I can't supply more details, that's all I know.

More to come...

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - Quartz Amethyst Morocco.jpg
 Description:
Cute, isn't?
 Viewed:  62515 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - Quartz Amethyst Morocco.jpg

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - watching minerals.jpg
 Description:
Two extras dressed as old miners of Sainte Marie, enjoying the show case with a display of minerals from Alsace.
 Viewed:  62452 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2009 - watching minerals.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2009 16:47    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 2009 Show - (8)  

Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 06/28/2009

Great news, the show will stay in Ste. Marie!.

As Chris said: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=5876#5876 this year the show passed a serious safety inspection, but luckily they got permission to continue in Ste. Marie. The mineralogical community should be happy.

More to come...

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2009 09:00    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 2009 Show - (9)  

Barcelona 07/02/209

Before closing these columns with the final conclusions, I publish this video of the excellent exhibition of French Fluorites presented in the Theater. As you can see in the pictures, some of these are outstanding...

Ploum has also published in Youtube a similar video, with the advantage that he edited the images, adding to each Fluorite its locality. Here it is:

More to come...

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2009 15:35    Post subject: Sainte Marie-aux-Mines 2009 Show - (10)  

What happened this year at Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines? Curiously, in these times of profound crisis, nothing special seems to have happened. Slightly slower, slightly fewer people, a somewhat smaller number of sales, but nothing really different, suggesting that the mineral world is solid and that the collectors are loyal and constant, and although the economy does not go very well, they still progress in their hobby. Perhaps just a comment that it does seem that the transactions between dealer didn't work very well, perhaps due to the doubts about the times we live in, but collectors are here and I think they will stay.

What's new?. Also, nothing really different to previous shows, so very few major new findings and many small new discoveries.

I would highlight the new Moroccan Quartz Amethyst "hourglass", the new finds of Epidote from Knappenewand, the Demantoide from Madagascar and Jeffrey Quarry, and many new specimens from Ojuela mine (more Wulfenite with green Mimetite and new Rosasite with or without Calcite crystals)

Add to this some finding in Myanmar of some (very few) excellent crystals of Petalite and some (also very few) Johachidolite, much better than the previous ones from North Korea. Also, very special Vanadinites found in Taouz, Morocco, and the usual small finds from the quarries of Artigas, Uruguay, Peru (nice Silvers from Uchucchacua) and China (large crystals, but not idiomorphic, of Bismuth).

I do not want to finish this summary without mentioning the recent discovery of Euchroites in a new locality in Slovakia, in the mining area of Farbište, close to Poniky, Banská Bystrica. Although currently they are not as good as the classic ones from Ľubietová, they are nice and very promising. We will see what happens in the future...

The best news from this edition of Ste Marie, is, without doubt, that for the moment the show won't move to Colmar, so at least next year we can continue to enjoy this Show, where the beauty of the minerals compares with the agreeable atmosphere and the landscape where the Show is held. As an example, here is this video of a musical performance during the Show. Last year I published a video with a performance of chamber music inside the theater, this year we had ragtime in the avenues of this so special Show.

Au revoir!

Jordi

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2009 18:31    Post subject: New info about the locality of the Moroccan Quartz (Amethyst) 'hour glass'  

Here -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=5851#5851 Jordi Fabre wrote:
This is one of the new Amethyst Quartzes from Morocco, doubly terminated and with a double phantom in the form of a "hour glass". Apparently they appear somewhere between Akka and Goulmina in a kind of limestone terrain.
I'm sorry I can't supply more details, that's all I know.

Time passed, and finally I got new info about the right locality of the Moroccan Quartz (Amethyst) 'hour glass'. They seems to come from Adrar Tirecht Bou Oudi mountain, close Tata, Gulmina-Es Smara region.

Quartz Amethyst hour glass - Adrar Tirecht Bou Oudi Morocco.jpg
 Description:
One of these Amethyst Quartzes "hour glass"
Adrar Tirecht Bou Oudi mountain, Tata, Gulmina-Es Smara, Morocco
Specimen size: 3.3 × 2.3 × 1.7 cm.
Photo: Reference Specimens -> http://www.fabreminerals.com/specimens/RSMA-morocco-notable-specimens.php#EG63N9
 Viewed:  57586 Time(s)

Quartz Amethyst hour glass - Adrar Tirecht Bou Oudi Morocco.jpg

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: