We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 08:35

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Index -> Featured Columns of FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tom Tucker

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2010 15:23    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

I don't think I've seen it added to this list of light sensitive mineral species - the NONTRONITE crystals from the syenite in Stoutameyer Branch, Augusta County, Virginia, is very light sensitive. Micro-crystals exposed to the light under a 'scope will turn from very light grey to dark grey or black within 12 hours of any light exposure.
John got more snow than we did in Virginia, Tom
Reply to topic Reply with quote

GneissWare

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2010 15:58    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

John S. White wrote:
However, there have been days when it was obscured from the sun by a coating of another mineral, subsequently removed through careful treatment with a broom.

Very funny John! This made my day. -- signed: Easily Amused.

Amir Akhavan

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2010 09:38    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

John, really a funny experiment, but the poor South-American amethyst is not used to snow.
Don't you feel sorry for leaving it out in the cold winter nights while you sit by the fireside?

Smoky quartz is sensitive, but I've seen crystals laying in the sun at 2800m altitude for years that did not pale. It's difficult to say why supposedly same color centers fade more quickly in some specimens than in others.

Anyway, just as Alfredo pointed out, rose quartz is completely insensitive to light.
Those pink crystals with phosphorus color centers that some call rose quartz -but I don't- are very sensitive to light.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2010 10:21    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

Amir:

I have been thinking of taking the piece of amethyst with me to Tucson for two weeks in the desert sun. It might like a vacation from the cold, just as we do.

And it might also enjoy reuniting with thousands of its relatives while there.

Elise

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 13:25    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

I am following this thread as it coalesces so that I might add the information back into my copy of Frank Howie's book. One aspect I am wondering about is the type of lighting and the type of display -- that is, glass vs polycarbonate and their interaction with different lighting in regards to sensitivity of the specimens (with light directed from outside a case). In the chapter by Kurt Nassau, there is a comparison of amount of damage from UV: sunlight > sunlight though glass > UV absorbing plexiglass > florescent lights > Incandescent light. Also, some cabinets with interior fiberoptic lighting mitigate the heat, but what are the implications for light sensitivity? (based on different light sources which are remotely located- from what I have seen the source is in the base of the cabinet - Jordi posted a picture recently of a nice one at Tucson, I don't know if the lights were fiberoptic in that one, but looked similar).

Not so much related to the sensitivity, but rather to viewing, I was shocked to look through a polycarbonate transparent desktop with a dichroscope -- started considering what the color change of objects viewed through such a material would be. It gets very complicated!

And because I can't resist:
David Von Bargen wrote:
The source for these entries is also of a bit of importance - you don't want the properties to come from "The golden Book of minerals".

You are disqualifying quite a resource penned by such authors as Frank Rhodes (president emeritus and professor emeritus of geological sciences here at Cornell University), Charles A. Sorrell, Paul Schaffer, Herbert S. Zim....not to mention the wonderful artwork....I also can't help but recall that my field course in marine science relied heavily on Golden Books as recommended by the research scientists running the program (1970s). At work, my copy of Rocks and Minerals is right next to my Fleicher's Glossary, Revell Phillips text, a couple Hurlbuts, and Deer, Howie and Zussman set (my co-conspirator brought his own dog-eared Golden Book so we wouldn't have to share that one) -- ALL of which have mistakes (marked with brightly coloured post-its), even Sinkankas. Does the mineral collector community scoff at Golden Books? ......just curious, as this went by unchallenged ;-)

All the best,
Elise

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2010 11:52    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

Elise:

I will jump in here and simply say that it has been many, many years since I have seen the book by Herbert Zim so I cannot recall what my impression of it was. I don't believe that is was negative but that is just a guess at this point in time.

Elise

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2010 13:04    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

Going back to Matt's synopses from Frank Howie's book posted earlier in which he points out the classifications Dr. Nassau used:

a). light induced colour changes.
b.) light induced decompositions
c.) light accelerated surface reactions with air, moisture and pollutants

Could the shortened and revised "A" list being generated be divided into the categories above, or at least notated as such in the new list?

Re: "Goldens" as I said, I couldn't resist and penned with a smile. I think many people of science today have fond memories of those books from their youth and it is noteworthy that many still have them on their shelves. Most assuredly the poster's point was that references should be reliable (and cross-checked); I should not have blurred his caveat with a digression.

The Howie book was published in 1992 (with a reprinting in 2002, not revised). In the foreword C.G. Cruchy states "I have no doubt that some of the ideas expressed in this work will change over time; in fact I am sure that the authors, and others, have already begun the research that will change our present views during the next few decades." We already know that causation of color for some materials has only been recently worked out or in some cases revised in the last 18 years, so efforts on developing a revised list are very welcome, especially as overseen by the members of this forum. (additionally, the development of new lighting systems adds to the mix, re my earlier inquiry).

All the best,
Elise

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2010 06:30    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

We are now counting down to six months of my amethyst being outside (note that I am not claiming it was in the sun for six months, there were numerous cloudy days and while I was in Tucson we got about 3 feet of snow, so it was weeks before it was exposed again). In any case I have photographed it again next to the control sample which has been kept inside in a dark area. These two pieces were once attached. The one that was outside is on the left. It hasn't lost any of its color yet.

after 6 months.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  31189 Time(s)

after 6 months.JPG

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 17, 2010 05:17    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

New update to come in the saga of the amethyst, watch for it! Today marks 8 months in the sun (sort of). Very interesting results.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 17, 2010 07:15    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

As promised, an update on my experiment in which a specimen of Brazilian amethyst has been placed out in the elements for 8 months now while its former neighbor has been protected from direct light indoors for the same period as a control.

In the photo, the piece on the left is the one that has been outside, that on the right inside. One can easily see that the piece on the left is noticeably lighter than the other one. BUT, does this mean that the amethyst has faded? Surprisingly I believe it does not. The piece on the right has a distinct smoky component which makes it appear darker than the one on the left. The one on the left has lost the smoky component as a result of its exposure to ultraviolet light, a result that I certainly did not anticipate.

Big surprise for me, I hope others find it interesting as well.

DSCN1885.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  30928 Time(s)

DSCN1885.JPG

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 17, 2010 11:21    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

Fascinating. Maybe some relationship with the radioactivity related with the smoky Quartz? If true that they become smoky in ambiances with radioactivity, maybe the sunlight with its small charge of radiations can turn back the process?

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: May 24, 2010 11:37    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

Hi everyone,

There is a lot of good information on this forum, but has anyone actually created a "list" of sensitive minerals for reference?

Just thought I'd toss that out.

See ya later,

Jim Prentiss

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 24, 2010 14:14    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid I accepted the responsability of writing the list. I am collecting all the information not only from this thread but also from the Spanish side and from articles and books. I work very slowly, so I must apologize for that. Especially due to my tasks in the Spanish Message Board and my own inappropiate background. I have a rough draft, but I want it to be a practical one, it is to say, far away from a theoretical list with species without have been contrasted. All ideas are welcome.

PS: Jim, I do not understand very well your words: "toss that out". Do you mean to rule it out, not to consider it at all?

Regards

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: May 24, 2010 14:37    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

Hi Antonio,

Thanks, I did not know anyone was actually doing a list.

It is an Americanism for bringing it to the attention of the group. By no means toss it out I am eagerly awaiting the list.

See ya later,

Jim Prentiss

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 24, 2010 16:59    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

Hi again Jim,

Now I feel encouraged by your words -especially with your kind explanation- and the list will appear soon.

Thanks for your daily patience with us, those who do not speak English as our first language. It is easy to speak broken English but almost impossible to have a good command of it.

Cheers

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 25, 2010 07:06    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

"PS: Jim, I do not understand very well your words: "toss that out". Do you mean to rule it out, not to consider it at all?"

Good point Antonio. I suspect that some contributors to these threads forget that the FMF enjoys a very large international audience, many of whom are not native English speakers. So slang terms and phrases like "toss that out" can be very confusing and can also diminish the substance of the message. Therefore, I would urge native-English-speaking contributors to avoid as much as possible using terms and phrases that are not reasonably clear to all visitors to the Forum. This also goes for abbreviations, such as N.C., instead of North Carolina.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2010 10:07    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

No further changes in the amethyst color after nine months.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2010 21:18    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

Given the improvement of the amethyst color through fading of the smoky component, I am sure mineral dealers will put this to good commercial use.

Any chance you could verify teh UV effect by putting a piece of the control material under a high intensity UV light for extended perioids of time?

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 04:09    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

Will give it a try.

Snowman

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2012 13:07    Post subject: Re: Preparing a list of light sensitive minerals - (14)  

I have a question about light sensitive minerals.

Can the colour of water soluble minerals also be affected by the sunlight alone? I ask this because i was once working in the Andes (5200m) along the Argentinian/Chilean border on the Argentinian side (San Juan Province). I came across some copper sulfate minerals(Cant find the name) that were sitting in the shade. After about a few days i decided to collect some and once they were in the sunlight their colour faded within an hour. I was told that exposure to air makes them loose their colour but i observed that while they were under the shade they retained their colour. I was told that sunlight had nothing to do with it. Was it a combination of exposure to the air and sunlight that cause the colour fading? Even in the sun the air was very cold at the time the picture was taken. Can anyone verify this?
Thanks in advance.

P1000625.JPG
 Description:
Copper Sulfate
Argentina
 Viewed:  27717 Time(s)

P1000625.JPG

Index -> Featured Columns of FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 4 of 5
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

Jump to: