We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 18, 2024 22:13

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What are your favorite specimens? - (8)
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Index -> Featured Columns of FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

jimB

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2009 21:52    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

This isn't my favorite, BUT, I like it!

2.5cm X 2.5cm
Schorl,
Namibia

Schorl 005.jpg
 Description:
Schorl,
Namibia
 Viewed:  22259 Time(s)

Schorl 005.jpg

Joan Kureczka

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2009 08:33    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

Picking a favorite is hard, but this is ALWAYS on the short list. It is not only one of the larger Hilton Mine fluorites but perhaps the only one ever found so very artfully perched on matrix... in this case a spray of Baryte. It was collected by Mick Sutcliffe, who with Lindsay Greenbank was one of the originators of the Rogerley Mine. I'd actually heard about it almost yearly for 10 years before I actually saw... and bought it. I knew immediately without anyone saying a word that was THAT specimen! Mick referred to it as "The Cuckoo's Egg" as it was the only fluorite in a pocket of mostly broken Baryte.

F272.jpg
 Description:
Hilton Mine Fluorite, UK
 Viewed:  22248 Time(s)

F272.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2009 11:06    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

Hi Jim, welcome to FMF!

Your Schorl looks great but if you want to display it still better, please next time use at least 600 pixels per image. This time you used an image of just 276 pixels, that's why your photo looks so small.

If you publish it again I could replace the former one by the new one...

Jordi

jimB

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2009 15:35    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

Hi Jordi,

Thank you for the welcome!

Ok I'll bite, what is a pixel?

GneissWare

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2009 15:53    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

A pixel is (sort of) a dot that makes up an image. If you click on your uploaded photo, you will see it has dimensions of 276 px X 276 px. So, it is 276 dots wide by 276 dots vertical. The fluorite by Joan is 600 px by 429 px so it is bigger, and has better resolution, so you can see more detail.

Hope that's clearer than mud.

jimB

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2009 23:04    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

HI and thank you Gneissware. I tried to take a new picture and instead of measuring it in inches ( it was about 30 x 30 inches ) I measured in pixels and yes I can make it 600 x 600. But with my crude photograph techinque, the picture quality deteriorates more rapidly than the detail increases so for now I think Ill leave it alone. I will try to make bigger pics in the future Jordi!
Jordi, I'd love to post a picture of the beautiful Prazem I bought from you but I fear it it will just look black. It surely is a fine specimen.

jimB

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

Good wholesome attitude Tracy. In my own collections, Quartz, all sizes, Pyrites, T/n and Toe/N and lastly T/ns. I notice the "favorite" concept tends to have fuzzy edges, much like a dream in which one either can not find the door or is falliing through it.
I have Jackson Xroad which is a extraordinary and a scepter group from Karur, India which is also exceptonal. Both are in the 7cm size. In pyrites, today, my fav is a highly modified cube from Peru ,Toe/N. In T/Ns I suppose it is the gold from Placer county or the Newry tourmaline.

A fine point here is 10 years ago I put on a Quartz Display of all Toe/Ns or smaller. The display was well received by every one, collectors and general public as well. The most commented about specimen in that display was a single highly distorted t/n from Arkansas, That xtal cost 60 cents. Its about fun, period.

Screenname

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2010 19:52    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens? - (8)  

Jim wrote:
OK, I didn't intend to start a thread like this.... but here we go.

My absolute favorite is the "Okie Dokie" diamond from the Crater of Diamonds State Park, Pike Co., AR. It is a flawless, 4.21-carat crystal of deep canary yellow color. It is probably the most perfect and important diamond found there since 1977.

This diamond has appeared in the MR several times, Rocks & Minerals, Lost Treasure magazine, Western and Eastern Treasures magazine, the AMT book, as well as NBC's The Today Show, MSNBC and Inside Edition.

It is my favorite for its perfection, its historical significance for the Crater of Diamonds State Park and the human interest story that accompanies it.

Cheers,

I would have just kept it and not told anyone, I am sure the diamond is no longer in his possession even though he is the finder.

Jim

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2010 20:39    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens? - (8)  

Screenname wrote:
Jim wrote:
OK, I didn't intend to start a thread like this.... but here we go.

My absolute favorite is the "Okie Dokie" diamond from the Crater of Diamonds State Park, Pike Co., AR. It is a flawless, 4.21-carat crystal of deep canary yellow color. It is probably the most perfect and important diamond found there since 1977.

This diamond has appeared in the MR several times, Rocks & Minerals, Lost Treasure magazine, Western and Eastern Treasures magazine, the AMT book, as well as NBC's The Today Show, MSNBC and Inside Edition.

It is my favorite for its perfection, its historical significance for the Crater of Diamonds State Park and the human interest story that accompanies it.

Cheers,

I would have just kept it and not told anyone, I am sure the diamond is no longer in his possession even though he is the finder.

Hi Daniel,

Marvin Culver was the finder, and as many miners and tourists to the Crater will attest, most people agree that it's more fun to share the joy and excitement of the find than to discover an amazing stone and keep it secret.

The diamond isn't in his possession any longer; it's in mine. And I exhibit the specimen on a regular basis, including this past TGMS. Marvin is happy that I have it, because it's well cared for, appreciated and shared with the public. It's an important diamond, but I agree with Jim B who wrote above that it's all about the fun. The story of that diamond and the thrill people have searching for these American treasures all boils down to fun.

Cheers!

MAD about crystals

Screenname

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

The stones you display are they yours or do they belong to the club you belong to? And how does someone get into a career like yours? And if they are yours all those diamonds you have must be worth millions.

jamesb

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2010 22:38    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

It takes some part of three variables to build a collection, 1. time , 2. brains , 3. money.
Of the three time is the most important, given enough time a fairly uninspired collector with little money can actually trial and error their way to having a collection. Second is brains and this way exceeds money in value. Last is $ and alone it will not build a collection but if a young, bright, wealthy collector shows up, watch for real results.

Jim

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 00:08    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your comments. I don't quite understand your questions. I have a collection of gem crystal thumbnails, and a subcollection of that is diamonds from the Crater of Diamonds State Park (Pike Co., AR). It took me years to assemble that subcollection. I'm not wealthy, but I am very patient and constantly strive to hone my eye for good specimens. I also listen to and learn from specific collectors whom I deeply respect and consider to be mentors.

Whenever possible, I also contribute to exhibits put on by my area club -- the Mineralogical Association of Dallas (MAD). They exhibit at Denver and Tucson, and everyone in the club is supportive of one another and simply love minerals.

I agree fully with JamesB -- money is sometimes over-emphasized in the hobby. The best collections I have seen that were built by collectors with rather limited financial resources yet supreme knowledge, drive, patience and discipline.

Cheers,

MAD about crystals

Jason

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 00:17    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

"I agree fully with JamesB -- money is sometimes over-emphasized in the hobby. The best collections I have seen that were built by collectors with rather limited financial resources yet supreme knowledge, drive, patience and discipline. "

couldn't agree more Jim:)

Jason

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 00:21    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

oh Jim that diamond is in your collections..thats right..i knew that..forgot about it..it is one of the most perfect diamonds there is..can't rmember the info I have read on it specifically..but even under high power mag the "crystal" of the stone is just flawless

Jim

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 08:04    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

Hi Amethystguy,

Yes, that diamond is virtually perfect inside and out -- even under high power magnification. And the amazing part is that it comes from the USA! The finest Arkansas diamonds can compete with diamond crystals from anywhere in the world.

Of course, the strong yellow color is not too bad either ;)

Thanks for taking time to comment.

Cheers,

MAD about crystals

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 08:26    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

The best collections I have seen are those that belong to people who love, L O V E their collections. The stories and the care to tell something about each and every piece makes even the ( normally ) dullest rock worthy of the trip to see the collection!
I get a kick out of the glint in someone's eye, whether a $200,000 rock or a piece collected from down the road.
And you know, never put down anyone's collection, there are so few that collect rocks and minerals without making anyone feel odd about how they collect or why, or if they find them or buy them.
I praise every single collection I have ever seen, and I have seen lots.

Jim

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 09:34    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

amethystguy wrote:
"I agree fully with JamesB -- money is sometimes over-emphasized in the hobby. The best collections I have seen that were built by collectors with rather limited financial resources yet supreme knowledge, drive, patience and discipline. "

couldn't agree more Jim:)

Thanks, Amethystguy

It seems this is one of the toughest lessons for collectors to learn -- but it's a consistent theme in the interviews I've conducted with top collectors. In particular, I'm working on a new DVD with Bryan Swoboda on connoisseur level thumbnail collecting. In this DVD top collectors showcase great specimens, tell great stories behind the pieces, discuss their "philosophies" toward collecting and provide excellent guidelines for building a significant collection.

They've all learned to resist the urge to buy whatver just happened to meet their eye at the moment and wait until the right piece came along. It takes knowledge and perspective to recognize the right pieces (and the challenge of obtaining them without overpaying). It's truly a labor of love on many levels! In my humble view, these types of collections go beyond just a casually-built array of specimens of varying quality to be something truly special and instructive whereby the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Cheers!

MAD about crystals

Screenname

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 11:48    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

I totally agree Gail, I have a coin collection and I know some have some pretty good value but I love them as much as the ones with little or no value. In fact some of favorites in my coin collection are really common and almost worthless.

Same with my rocks, I have had the collection for a while and haven't been too heavily into it but Love all my rocks just the same, even if I had a diamond I wouldn't sell it because then i wouldn't have a diamond in my collection anymore, but if I had tons of them one or two might get sold :D

Jim

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 12:40    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

Welcome to the forum, Daniel!

You'll quickly discover that all long-standing collectors truly love their minerals and light up when they talk about them -- that's just a given. Some love them so much that they'd never sell or trade them for anything!

My question to you is what type of collection do you have in mind to build, or have you thought about it yet?

Also, great specimens don't need to cost much money. There's likely a positive correlation beween quality and price, but savvy and experienced collectors are superb at finding great pieces at reasonable (if not downright cheap) prices. That's why many collectors say that money is the least important variable in building a significant collection.

Cheers,

MAD about crystals

Dawn MinetteCooper

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2010 01:45    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite specimens?  

That boleite is exquisite! A true specimen with xls perched charmingly on matrix. That's what Jim and I always looked for.

Dawn

Index -> Featured Columns of FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 3 of 6
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

Jump to: