We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 07:44

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
An opportune harvest of Gold in Serra do Caldeirão (Caldeirao) claims, Brazil - (25)

Index -> Featured Columns of FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2016 12:02    Post subject: An opportune harvest of Gold in Serra do Caldeirão (Caldeirao) claims, Brazil - (25)  

Great adition made by Mr. Roger Warin!

To see it click on this link or in the image:

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cesar M. Salvan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2017 05:42    Post subject: Re: An opportune harvest of Gold in Serra do Caldeirão claims, Brazil - (25)  

I recently received a beautiful sample of the characteristic hopper crystals of gold from this locality with request to analyze the composition.

According to the study on the geology and metallogeny of gold deposits in Pontes e Lacerda by Geraldes et al. (International Geology Review, 1997. DOI 10.1080/00206819709465282) we expect pure gold for this type of samples (one deposit reported Au-Ag alloy or electrum).

Indeed, the analysis showed very pure gold, with 98.5 to 99.5% Au in the analyzed sample. I performed EDS analyses. The determination of the exact composition would require a technique that could compromise the integrity of the sample, and it is not necessary for the needs of a mineral collection.

Obviously, this does not mean that all samples are composed by pure gold. Depending on the deposit (there are about 23 gold deposits in the Pontes e Lacerda region) there are variable amounts of other noble metals, silver and copper. But in this case, this seems to be a very pure sample.

oro serra noseque.jpg
 Mineral: Gold
 Locality:
Serra do Caldeirão claims, Pontes e Lacerda, Alto Guaporé District, Mato Grosso, Brazil
 Dimensions: FOV 0.8 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  32987 Time(s)

oro serra noseque.jpg

jf24 4.jpg
 Locality:
Serra do Caldeirão claims, Pontes e Lacerda, Alto Guaporé District, Mato Grosso, Brazil
 Description:
SEM image of a hopper crystal of gold.
 Viewed:  32897 Time(s)

jf24 4.jpg

jf24.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Another gold crystal showed by SEM
 Viewed:  32961 Time(s)

jf24.jpg

Spectrum jf24.jpg
 Description:
EDS analysis of the gold crystals showed in the previous images
 Viewed:  32927 Time(s)

Spectrum jf24.jpg

oro serra noseque2.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: FOV 0.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  32937 Time(s)

oro serra noseque2.jpg

jf24 3.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Interesting features on the surface of gold crystals. I cannot say of these minute crystals and spherules, composed by pure gold, are syngenetic with the crystals or a posterior deposition (by bacterial activity for example).
 Viewed:  32930 Time(s)

jf24 3.jpg

Gustavo Oliveira

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2018 16:53    Post subject: Re: An opportune harvest of Gold in Serra do Caldeirão claims, Brazil - (25)  

Great pictures!

I am considering doing a research about the geochemical/ morphology characterization of the lateritic gold mineralization of this area.
The work of Geraldes is quite useful, but I understand it is focused on the hydrothermal gold, instead of the later supergenic.
On the other hand, I found out this data on the Fabre website ( https://www.fabreminerals.com/search_show.php?SECTION=RSBR&CODE=TF7AD3 ), informing about the presence of Rhodium in a sample from the location.

I analysed the composition of my samples by FRXP, which displayed 99,7% Au and no appreciable amount of Pd, Pt, Rh, Ag, neither Cu. Only some Fe, and trace elements.About the morphology, the habit seems to me to an open geometry skeletal square pyramid.

It would be of great assistance, to get some more information about the morphology and minor/trace elements composition of this occurrence.

Best regards;

lluis

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2018 02:11    Post subject: Re: An opportune harvest of Gold in Serra do Caldeirão claims, Brazil - (25)  

Hi, All

Just curious....
A so very pure gold (99,5-99,7% purity) is not odd, being a natural sample?

I just remember the so called "palladium gold" discussed here many years ago, analyzed by Mr. Cesar Menor, showing no palladium and a so high purity....
I also remember have heard that those golds were electrolytic, and sold some years ago (before the comments from Mr. Cesar Menor) as man-made in Munich Mineralien Tage...

Just curious..... (very curious! and very scared..... :-( )

With best wishes

Lluís

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2018 02:29    Post subject: Re: An opportune harvest of Gold in Serra do Caldeirão claims, Brazil - (25)  

The report

Gold - Serra do Caldeirao_Brazil.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  29569 Time(s)

Gold - Serra do Caldeirao_Brazil.jpg

minsur

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2018 06:43    Post subject: Re: An opportune harvest of Gold in Serra do Caldeirão claims, Brazil - (25)  

Some time ago, and from a usually quite well-informed source, I heard a RUMOUR, that specimens destined for the mineral collectors market were then submitted to electrolytic gold plating in order to make them look "shinier".
A rumour is a rumour and no proof of evidence, but to some extent this would explain the extreme high fineness and luster.

minsur

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2018 09:09    Post subject: Re: An opportune harvest of Gold in Serra do Caldeirão claims, Brazil - (25)  

Improved version do not know how to edit:-
minsur wrote:
Some time ago and from a usually quite well-informed source, I heard a RUMOUR, that specimens destined for the mineral collectors market were then submitted to galvanic fine gold-plating "enhancement".
A rumour is a rumour and no proof of evidence, but to some extent this would explain the extreme high fineness and luster.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2018 10:13    Post subject: Re: An opportune harvest of Gold in Serra do Caldeirão claims, Brazil - (25)  

Alluvial gold is always enriched in gold on the surface, by natural chemical processes (leaching out of silver), so there is no need for artificial gold plating!

For non-alluvial (underground mined) gold specimens, which still contain silver and may therefore have a paler yellow color than alluvial gold, some dealers make the yellow surface colour richer by nitric acid baths, which duplicates the natural process of surface leaching of silver but of course at unnaturally fast rate, so no electroplating is needed. I very much doubt that anyone is electroplating gold specimens intended for collectors; for jewelry perhaps, but not for collectors.

Gustavo Oliveira

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2018 11:14    Post subject: Re: An opportune harvest of Gold in Serra do Caldeirão claims, Brazil - (25)  

Thank you guys, for the feedback.

This occurrence is definitely not a placer type, as one can observe the crystal morphology. Its been prone to some leaching, nevertheless, as some humic acid diagenesis is expected.
It has been enhanced by some means (nitric acid bath plus water jet for instance), as there is no matrix in the small voids/ indentation.

I will proceed to further core analysis of my samples. In the case you have some data of lateritic gold crystals, lets compare!

Index -> Featured Columns of FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: