We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 02:26

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Mystery solved! - fluorapophyllite from Mexico

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tracy

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 27, 2007 20:45    Post subject: Mystery solved! - fluorapophyllite from Mexico  

At last, now that I have good photos to share...

In a posting last September I asked if anyone would be willing to help identify a "mystery" specimen that has been in my possession since 1994. John White was kind enough to look at it and had a fragment optically analyzed. The results indicated it was fluoroapophyllite, but John was unsure about the locality because of my specimen's unusual crystal habit.

Recently I sent the specimen to another mineral enthusiast, and I am happy to report that, after conferring with other collectors/experts, he informs me that the locality is San Martin, Mun. de Sombrerete, Zacatecas, Mexico. My "mystery specimen" now has an identity!

Allow me to give credit where credit is due: to John for confirming that it is fluoroapophyllite, to Russ Rizzo of Cal Neva Minerals for narrowing its origin down to Mexico (and for the photos too), and to Cal Graeber for pinpointing the locality as San Martin. I also wish to thank Jordi and his Forum for giving me the inspiration as well as the opportunity to have an "identification adventure." It's been a very rewarding and informative experience for me. :-)

Fluorapophyllite 1 large.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  21837 Time(s)

Fluorapophyllite 1 large.jpg

Fluorapophyllite 1 closeup.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  21810 Time(s)

Fluorapophyllite 1 closeup.jpg

Fluorapophyllite 2 large.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  21796 Time(s)

Fluorapophyllite 2 large.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tracy

PostPosted: May 28, 2007 06:26    Post subject: Fluorapophyllite part 2  

I forgot to provide dimensions: it is approximately 4 inches (10 cm) at its widest point - the specimen has no "top" or "bottom."

Tracy

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2008 21:56    Post subject: Re: Mystery solved! - fluorapophyllite from Mexico  

I finally have a few minutes to give an update on mymystery specimen:

After seeing the pink fluorapophyllite specimen at the Smithsonian from Guanajuato which looked very much like my own piece (see the photo I posted in the "Visiting the Smithsonian" topic), John was kind enough to put me in contact with Peter Megaw, who shared the following interesting information about Mexican fluorapophyllites:

"[Zacatecas, Guanajuato, and Naica] have produced lovely DT transparent pink crystals that are difficult to tell apart without some matrix. Many of the San Martin specimens (probably truly removed from the adjoining Sabinas Mine...same orebody different owner) have crumbly laumontite associated and a few have nice sharp lustrous ilvaite as well. Since this is a skarn, sometimes they have garnet-pyroxene skarn on the matrix, but most tend to peel off leaving nothing behind the crystals. Naica, also a skarn, has the same matrix situation...but I don't know of any associated species. Naica crystals do tend to be a bit squatter and blockier. Guanajuato material tends to be plates of crystals with few associates...but clear quartz vein matrix."

I sent Peter the photos above of my specimen, plus two more from different sides (attached below), and got a quick response from him:

"Tracy, Nice piece! Looks like your "logs" are quartz crystals coated by the apophyllite. Given the age of the piece and the coated quartz crystals it is probably from Guanajuato. Naica and San Martin didn't produce pink apophyllite until the late 90s and I have never seen this kind of coating at either of those places.

Please let me know if you ever decide to trade or otherwise dispose of the piece!

Peter"

...I really enjoyed reading that last sentence! (but have no plans to trade) :-)

Note that the "logs" refer to the hexagional crystals which appear among the mineral shards. There are 3 of them, the largest of which is in the photos above and the two smaller ones in the photos below (the smaller ones have a limonite-like coating on them, the large "log" is only partially coated with the same on the "rear" side). As a reminder, I acquired the specimen c. 1994.

So, it seems I will have to change my labels from Zacatecas to Guanajuato. I wish I could pinpoint the actual mine, but there are many mines at Guanajuato and I am happy enough to know where in Mexico it came from. Just thought I'd share what I learned from Peter.

Thanks to Peter and to John for all your help with solving this mystery!

Tracy

Flruorapo rear.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  19632 Time(s)

Flruorapo rear.jpg

Fluoapo bottom.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  19687 Time(s)

Fluoapo bottom.jpg

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2008 22:58    Post subject: Re: Mystery solved? - fluorapophyllite from Mexico  

I think that the mystery may still stand...but will bow to Cal if he handled a number of specimens from this find. (By the way Cal, given the quality and quantity of what you're getting out of the Rogerley at last, I'm surprised you have time for answering questions like this! Keep it up...the new material sounds/looks great!!! Congratulations! There will never be doubt as to the source of those great twins!)

I have not seen this material before and may just have missed it. However, the specimen has several elongate quartz crystals under the apophyllite coating... which is more suggestive to me of Guanajuato than San Martin for several reasons. Guanajuato is an epithermal vein system with abundant quartz with this general morphology (as much as can be seen from the picture.) In contrast, San Martin is a skarn system which has less abundant quartz, generally with a prominent bulge in the middle...like Amatitlan, Guerrero. Further, the tabular apophyllite coated "chips" are very reminiscent of the platy calcite typical of epithermal veins everywhere...and very well known from Guanajuato...especially as quartz replacements. Similar epithermal textures are known at San Martin, but only in the upper oxidized zones.

I was also contacted by the specimen's owner and understand that this piece was acquired in the early 90s...this timing is better for Guanajuato than San Martin and only gets stronger if the specimen sat for a number of years before purchase. I checked my San Martin apophyllites, acquired in the mid 90s to 2007 and they all have tiny laumontite crystals in the matrix and on top of the apophyllites.

Someone should poll Dennis Beals on this...he was pulling material from both localities in this time frame!

Tracy

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2008 07:22    Post subject: Re: Mystery solved! - fluorapophyllite from Mexico  

I must apologize for not finishing my homework on this one, and in the process inadvertently offending Cal or Peter. I should have continued with my pursuit of this question until consensus was achieved. Unfortunately, I did not have any contact information for Cal to complete the circle of discussion. It was never my intention to pit one expert against another, just to find answers to my question.

Peter, if you could provide me with contact info for Cal (his response came to me second-hand), I would like to consult with him on this too and complete the loop (or Cal, if you have been reading this and wouldn't mind commenting on this thread, I'd be grateful).

Thanks (and sorry)
Tracy

Tracy

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2008 07:29    Post subject: Re: Mystery solved! - fluorapophyllite from Mexico  

Just to make sure that everyone looks at all the same images, here is the Guanjauato specimen seen at the Smithsonian...

Fluorapo.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  19632 Time(s)

Fluorapo.JPG

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2008 15:02    Post subject: Re: Mystery solved! - fluorapophyllite from Mexico  

Hi Tracy,

Cal's e-mail (I think) is : cgraeber (at) tfb (dot) com
Dennis' is: dbxtal (at) aol (dot) com
His website is www (dot) xtal-dbeals (dot) com

I would probably give Dennis first try.

Bob

Gail

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2008 16:46    Post subject: Re: Mystery solved! - fluorapophyllite from Mexico  

cal(at)calgraeber(dot)com is the address I have for him.

Tracy

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2008 20:12    Post subject: Re: Mystery solved! - fluorapophyllite from Mexico  

Rather belatedly, and now that I'm on vacation (at last!) - thanks Bob & Gail, will pursue new leads and keep you posted.

Tracy

Tracy

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2008 13:17    Post subject: Re: Mystery solved! - fluorapophyllite from Mexico  

My last posting out of Springfield - according to Dennis Beals, who took a look at the specimen last weekend, it is from Guanajuato. Dennis said that something as brecciated as my specimen would not have come from anywhere else in Mexico where pink fluorapophyllites are found. He also said that the piece might easily have been mistaken as being from San Martin because of the quartzes present in the mix, but that pretty much all the older specimens of this type emanated from Guanajuato. He also advised me to get it cleaned! - and thinks that the largest quartz "log" which you can see in the photos is a smoky. Another vote for Guanajuato...

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: