We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 19, 2024 18:03

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jim

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 13:19    Post subject: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

I was curious if anyone had photos of collector quality trapiche emerald crystals. I've seen some photos of crudely developed or non-gemmy trapiches, but I'm conducting research on natural, gemmy examples.

Aside from what's found on Mindat and in the Barlow book, can anyone share photos of great examples?

Thanks!

MAD about crystals
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jason

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 14:30    Post subject: Re: best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

I have seen a couple photos here and there..don't recall any that were gemmy or really nice..will have to look around..is the research just on trap. emeralds or other traps. like sapphires

Elise

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 15:25    Post subject: Re: best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

I would also love to see emerald trapiche crystals in their natural state. Firsthand, I've only seen trapiche emeralds cut as cabochons; I've never seen the original unharmed crystals. There is a Van Pelt picture in the extraLapis Emerald issue of a group of cabbed trapiche emeralds alongside a crystal, but it is hard to see if the crystal is altered or much else about it. There are beautiful pictures of different types of trapiches in John Koivula's PhotoAtlas Vol. 3, including one which has a double core resulting from interlocked columnar growth. There is also an interesting one pictured in which the "spokes" themselves are emerald (instead of the black mixture of minerals) and the surrounding material is white - in that case, I wonder would a mineral collector leave the matrix? It would be interesting either way.

An aside regarding another trapiche in the beryl family, John (K) showed me an aquamarine specimen which was a cluster of long, very slender crystals, each ending in a flat termination revealing a trapiche structure! There is a picture in the Gems & Gemology Fall 2008 issue, page 276 of the same or similar cluster, along with a photomicrograph of the termination which shows the structure. In that report he wrote that these originated from the Erongo Mountains of Namibia. Starting from the center, the included "spokes" seem to fan out to the prism faces and the gemmy areas span the junctions of the faces in between the spokes (a picture would tell a thousand words here...). In the Van Pelt picture of the emeralds, it seems like the crystal has been pre-formed for cutting as its cross-section looks round ( ? hard to tell from the picture), and so it is hard to know if it is formed in the same way as the aquamarine. In both of John Sinkankas' books on Beryl, there are good overviews of the formation, but without color images of a natural crystal.

There are also corundum trapiches which I have seen in Thailand cut into cabochons; I believe from Burma. I haven't seen any of these as spectacular as the emerald and aquamarine trapiches mentioned above.

Best wishes,
Elise

Jim

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 16:04    Post subject: Re: best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

Amethystguy and Elise,

Thanks for the information. I find all trapiche effects fascinating but my research is focusing on trapiche emeralds in their natural state at this time.

Funny you mentioned the "double core" trapiche emerald. That cabochon -- which seems unique to this point -- used to be in my collection. That stone and a large trapiche emerald showing chatoyancy were two of my favorites. Those gems were sold to a major collector for his research collection, so they're in good hands.

I'll definitely check out the other photos you mentioned Elise -- some of these I may not have seen yet.

Gracias!

MAD about crystals

Elise

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 17:25    Post subject: Re: best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

The only other picture I find of a crystal in its natural state is again another Van Pelt showing a crystal looking down the c axis (G&G W 87, 240). It makes one wish for the Google Maps toolbar button that lets you rotate to street-level to take a look at all sides!

I looked through every book on beryl/emeralds and mineral portraits I have, including Ron Ringsrud's latest and some I'd put on a shelf of "I don't read this language yet." I just don't find any pictures of the unaltered crystals - they must chop them up immediately.

I happened to have everything out on trapiches writing about the crystallography, but I didn't really think about the lack of portraits of crystals to refer to. The cross-section of the aquamarine trapiches is perfectly hexagonal. Both of the Van Pelt gemmy emerald crystals (maybe they are the same crystal) are nearly round - am I missing something or has it been rounded?

I look forward to any images which members post in answer to Jim's inquiry!

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 17:59    Post subject: Re: best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

Although I don't have a picture, I was shown a large gemmy trapiche emerald at this year's Tucson. If memory serves, it was 5-7 cm long and 1-2 cm perpendicular to the c axis. The gemmy regions were really gemmy and saturated in color.

Jim

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 20:30    Post subject: Re: best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

Hi Matt,

Was the specimen polished in any way to highlight the trapiche effect?

Thanks,

MAD about crystals

simonoff

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 20:55    Post subject: Re: best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

Here is one from the Smithsonian.

trapiche.JPG
 Description:
Trapiche from the smithsonian
 Viewed:  32739 Time(s)

trapiche.JPG

Jim

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 21:03    Post subject: Re: best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

simonoff wrote:
Here is one from the smithsonian.

Excellent photo -- thanks for sharing. Any approximate dimensions of this specimen?

Cheers!

MAD about crystals

simonoff

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 21:10    Post subject: Re: best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

Very approximate maybe 2.5 inches (6.3 cm) across.

No problem

I am thinking of going back very soon - if you need something else in the picture, let me know.

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2010 22:46    Post subject: Re: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

No, it was not polished in any way. It was in pretty good shape as a mineral specimen.

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2015 15:17    Post subject: Re: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

For those interested in trapiche emeralds, the lead article of the last issue of Gems & Gemology (Fall 2015, Vol. 51, No. 3) gives a full update on this fascinating crystal habit.
Gérard

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2015 08:47    Post subject: Re: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

hi,
I see I'm not the only one to admire Trapiches emeralds.
I saw 4 beautiful Trapiches at the last Munich Show.
I photographed under cross-polarized light one of them. We discover the crystal growth lines. Crystallization is one of the simplest methods to purify a mineral. The impurities are rejected in front of the solid phase taking shape.
This emerald comes from Muzo, Colombia. While other Muzo trapiches have rejected feldspars, this one had ejected carbonaceous impurities, always abundant in this Muzo shale.
That's what I think, do you?
Roger.

005-Trapiche_10256_R.jpg
 Mineral: Emerald - trapiche emerald
 Locality:
Muzo mining district, Western Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Description:
 Viewed:  27773 Time(s)

005-Trapiche_10256_R.jpg

006Trapiche_emerald_10260_R.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  27882 Time(s)

006Trapiche_emerald_10260_R.jpg

007-Trapiche#1-refl_L - A_R.jpg
 Description:
reflected light
 Viewed:  27771 Time(s)

007-Trapiche#1-refl_L - A_R.jpg

008-Trapiche#1-XPOL_001 - XPol-A_R.jpg
 Description:
Under XPol Light
 Viewed:  27759 Time(s)

008-Trapiche#1-XPOL_001 - XPol-A_R.jpg

009-Trapiche#1-XPOL_001 - XPol-B_R.jpg
 Description:
x12
 Viewed:  27752 Time(s)

009-Trapiche#1-XPOL_001 - XPol-B_R.jpg

010-Trapiche#1-XPOL_001 - XPol-C_R.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  27734 Time(s)

010-Trapiche#1-XPOL_001 - XPol-C_R.jpg

Elise

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2015 15:24    Post subject: Re: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

Fiebre Verde wrote:
For those interested in trapiche emeralds, the lead article of the last issue of Gems & Gemology (Fall 2015, Vol. 51, No. 3) gives a full update on this fascinating crystal habit. Gérard

The entire issue is freely available online as a pdf via links here: https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology (link rectified by the moderators).
I loved the article which I think will become quite an important classic reference. I did have some comments which I emailed to the journal as a Letter to the Editor today. With John S. White's encouragement, I'll share part of the letter here:

"I was very interested in the authors’ trapiche nomenclature discussion in Box A (page 224). I understand the desire to distinguish sectoral zoning formed by inclusions or texture as “trapiche-like;” the trapiche pezzottaite reported in this same issue probably falls under that category (Skalwold and Koivula, pages 326-328). However, I would argue that cordierite-indialite intergrowths known as “cherry blossom stones” included by the authors’ as “trapiche-like” actually qualify as true trapiche growth on the basis that each sector is the result of individual crystal growth. These unique trapiches are the result of a very complex indialite cordierite intergrowth phenomenon in which cordierite crystals grow epitaxially on the six prism faces of an indialite crystal. The latter’s remaining faces continue to grow and later alter to cordierite while grains of this intergrowth’s host accumulate along the sectors, forming the trapiche appearance. The indialite later alters to cordierite and eventually the entire intergrowth is replaced by muscovite, while retaining the outward appearance of the original mineral intergrowth; a fascinating example of a pseudomorph (see Rakovan, J., Kitamura, M., Tamada, O.( 2006). Sakura Ishi (cherry blossom stones): complex cordierite-indialite intergrowths from Kameoka, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan. Rocks & Minerals, 81(4): 284-292 and Kitamura, M. and Yamada, H. (1987). Origin of sector trilling in cordierite in Daimonji hornfels, Kyoto, Japan. Contributions to Mineral Petrology, 97: 1-6).

Also, in Dr. Nassau’s defense (page 232) I would add that he corrected the locality information stated in his original Spring 1970 American Mineralogist paper in a following issue published during the Fall of the very same year: “Based on information by E.J. Tripp and C.H. Hermandez and E.J. Tripp (private communication) the actual origin of the trapiche emeralds attributed to the Chivor Mine is the Peñas Blanca mine near Muzo, Colombia. These have a clear center and are distinct from specimens from Muzo itself which have a dark center. Most Peñas Blanca trapiche emeralds are purchased and distributed by Mr. W.F. Bronkie the manager of the Chivor mine and were accordingly attributed to the Chivor Locality” (Nassau, K. and Jackson, K.A. (1970) Trapiche emeralds from Colombia: Correction. American Mineralogist, 55 (10):1808-1809). This erratum by the authors themselves is overlooked throughout later literature referencing their paper; I always look for it in hopes that it will surface and hope you will re-print it."

I wondered what FMF members thoughts are regarding trapiche nomenclature. Roger, your photographs are really wonderful; I especially like the one in x pol light. Thank you for sharing!

Best wishes,
Elise

Val

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2015 17:27    Post subject: Re: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

Unique and exquisite Emerald specimen. An Emerald crystal with a scepter of an actual trapiche Emerald crystal and all gem. What a wonderful thrill to be the current care taker of this natures creation.

I have seen Trapiche sharp emerald crystals. I have a fairly large (3-4 cm. in length) and dark colored one that I will have to find in the collection and photograph. Usually they are sliced up for gem cabochons and rarely get offered for collectors of the complete crystal. My son lives in Bogata, Colombia for 15 years, involved in specimen procurement.

EmeraldTrapSceps-l1600a.jpg
 Mineral: Beryl (variety emerald)
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 2.05 cm x .91 cm x .84 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27568 Time(s)

EmeraldTrapSceps-l1600a.jpg

EmeraldTrapSceps-l1600 (2b).jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  27553 Time(s)

EmeraldTrapSceps-l1600 (2b).jpg

EmeraldTrapSceps-l1600 (2).jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  27542 Time(s)

EmeraldTrapSceps-l1600 (2).jpg

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2015 15:26    Post subject: Re: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

Roger Warin wrote:
hi,
I see I'm not the only one to admire Trapiches emeralds.
I saw 4 beautiful Trapiches at the last Munich Show.
I photographed under cross-polarized light one of them. We discover the crystal growth lines. Crystallization is one of the simplest methods to purify a mineral. The impurities are rejected in front of the solid phase taking shape.
This emerald comes from Muzo, Colombia. While other Muzo trapiches have rejected feldspars, this one had ejected carbonaceous impurities, always abundant in this Muzo shale.
That's what I think, do you?
Roger.

Roger, I can only second what Elise mentioned about your photographs. Please share more!
Regarding your comment about the rejected impurities - I guess all depends on the nature of the impurities found during the growth of the trapiche.
Muzo is best known for its high concentration of carbonaceous impurities but other type of impurities can also occur in the growth process. Not only feldspar (albite) but also monazite, K-feldspar (presumably adularia), epidote, apatite and zircon (Ohnenstetter & al., 1998 - Emeraudes Trapiches Colombiennes, L'Emeraude, Association Française de Gemmologie)
Gérard

marco campos-venuti

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2015 18:59    Post subject: Re: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

What about this?

IMG_1011 (Medium).JPG
 Mineral: Emerald trapiche crystal, Tucson 2011
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  27342 Time(s)

IMG_1011 (Medium).JPG

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2015 03:25    Post subject: Re: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

It’s time to listen a master of crystallography.

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2015 03:34    Post subject: Re: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

Thank you very much Elise, Gerard.

The word Trapiche has its origin in the name of ore grinding rolls in South America. It's a geological concept, perhaps earlier.
Isabella Pignatelli and all describe the phenomenon very well.

As the birefringence of emerald is very small, I used a trick to increase the retardation and thus accentuate colorations.
A gypsum plate is inserted between the trapiche and the polarizing filter. Its function is to add a known retardation. Gypsum produces a 550 nm red retardation.
This view is with the gypsum plate inserted most areas shift to first order yellow whereas a few shift to low second-order blue color.
Of course the sample is not a thin section. Its thickness is 4 mm.
Just for fun.
Roger.

Trapiche&gypse-B_R.jpg
 Dimensions: thickness = 4 mm
 Description:
With a gypsum plate
 Viewed:  27178 Time(s)

Trapiche&gypse-B_R.jpg

NellsRocks

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2015 16:26    Post subject: Re: Best examples of trapiche emerald crystals?  

Forgive my newbie question, but these photos look a LOT like our local chiastolite. Can anyone explain in simple terms how these "patterns" are formed?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: