We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 14:19

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2010 20:18    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

A few slightly "offbeat" things in exhibits that I enjoyed seeing at the Show...

PICT0181 NM feldspars.jpg
 Description:
gem feldspars from New Mexico, sanidine (moonstone) and plagioclase (gem labradorite), from Virgil Lueth's case from the N.M. Tech Geology Museum
 Viewed:  15235 Time(s)

PICT0181 NM feldspars.jpg

PICT0176.JPG
 Description:
Barb Dutrow (LSU) created a display of mineral assemblages in metamorphic rocks, each with its calculated temperature, pressure, and depth of formation!
 Viewed:  15200 Time(s)

PICT0176.JPG

PICT0174.JPG
 Description:
is this perhaps the first time a phase diagram has been posted on the Fabre Minerals Forum?
 Viewed:  15207 Time(s)

PICT0174.JPG

PICT0265.JPG
 Description:
"Natural, Single-Mineral Sands"
 Viewed:  15228 Time(s)

PICT0265.JPG

PICT0274.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  15236 Time(s)

PICT0274.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2010 21:51    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Got this from Great Wall Minerals, I found the contrasts stunning.

IMG_3372-1.jpg
 Description:
Smokey quartz with microcline 7x15cm.
China
 Viewed:  15106 Time(s)

IMG_3372-1.jpg

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 00:38    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

That is interesting looking vic.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 05:08    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Very nice Vic. For some reason feldspar seem to be underappreciated, except for amazonite.

keldjarn

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 06:37    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Very nice combination and typical for many miarolitic cavities in granites where the quartz crystals are smoky beacause of the backgorund radiation in the granite.
John, also white feldspar crystals may command high prices. A white microcline from Brazil was posted on the irocks website yesterday and sold at once for USD 6.500.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 08:32    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

That may be a rare exception because in my experience at shows feldspars, very nice ones in fact, tend to me modestly priced and hard to sell.

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 08:34    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Could one of you give me a simple explanation of miarolitic?

keldjarn

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 09:20    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

You can find the following definition in Wikipedia:

"Miarolitic cavities (or miarolitic texture) are typically crystal lined irregular cavities or vugs most commonly found in granitic pegmatites, but also found in a variety of igneous rocks. The central portions of pegmatites are often miarolitic as the pegmatite dike crystallizes from the outside walls toward the center. The volatile portion of the magma is gradually excluded from the forming crystal phases until it becomes trapped within the body and forms the cavities which often contain minerals of elements incompatible with the typical silicate granitic mineralogy."

In plain language this means that miarolitic cavities are formed by residual vapor/gas in magmas that may contain a diversity of mineral forming elements. Feldspar has a much higher melting point (ceramics compared to glass) -- and will crystallize first, followed by quartz in the most simple mineral assemblages of such miarolitic cavities in granites.

They are of great interest to mineral collectors not only because well formed and large crystals can form in such cavities, but also because they may host a number of gem minerals and rare minerals in exceptional crystals.

Knut

Joan Kureczka

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 09:21    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Keldjarn -- Don't believe the prices on that site when a piece sells. And don't believe they all sold immediately either. That was the "list" price, but not necessarily the selling price. And we have seen some pieces go up on that site in a new listing that we knew were sold long before they were posted. Its all marketing.

John is right that most feldspars are relatively modestly priced unless they are blue or have another mineral in association that drives up the price.

keldjarn

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 09:33    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Joan, of course you and John are right that except for amazonites, yellow gemmy orthoclase from Madagascar and crystallized Mexican moonstone, feldspars are usually cheap - even in good crystals. I only wanted to show that these days when even groups of pyrite crystals are known to have been sold (at auctions) for more than 50.000 USD, it is sometimes surprising what some specimens are sold for. I know also there is a lot fo marketing tricks on the web, but even if this specimen was sold for 20 % of the price mentioned, it would have been a very expensive white microcline !
Knut

Woody Thompson

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 12:48    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Vic, do you have a specific locality for the Chinese smoky quartz-feldspar combination? I'm just curious whether it came from the miarolitic granite cavities at the Tongbei (Fujian Province) spessartine mine? Some of the specimens from there do not have the spessartine xls, while others have a variety of other interesting minerals with the quartz and feldspar.

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 15:18    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Woody, Namping of Great Wall said it was from either Tongbei or Yunling, I've misplaced the label, I may have to wait till Denver for the exact location info. Thanks for the miarolitc cavity expanation Knut, I've collected in them for years so it's good to know what the beta is on them.

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: