We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 25, 2024 03:36

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Cobalt bearing spinel from Pakistan

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jason

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2010 17:12    Post subject: Cobalt bearing spinel from Pakistan  

Elise wrote:
Meanwhile today I was helping a friend with samples he just brought back from Pakistan a couple months ago(by way of entering through China) - wonderful cobalt spinel, red spinel and ruby all in matrix, along with red zircon in matrix (Skardu District). Fun to examine.
Elise

hmm..cobalt bearing spinel from pakistan..never seen or heard of a reference of Co from pakistan..are you sure it's pakistani? I have sold quite a few real deal cobalt spinels in my day too..not "cobalt blue" but real coloring chromophore cobalt spinels..never heard of any from pakistan or afganistan
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2010 15:10    Post subject: Re: Cobalt bearing spinel from Pakistan  

Elise wrote:

Hi - I am sorry I didn't see your question earlier and reply. My friend is a bit of an adventurer, prospector and mineral collector - always has intriguing specimens for me to look at. Actually, he did not refer to it as cobalt spinel, I did. Sometimes there isn’t any way to determine the cobalt content without advanced lab work, which the specimens haven’t had yet, so you are correct that I probably should not have called it so -- though the lovely blue crystals bedded in white marble were quite wonderful in contrast and arrangement, despite whatever causes their color. To be honest I was more interested in the “locally grown” calcite and was only having a quick look at the spinels with a handheld diffraction spectroscope and a Chelsea filter (= red).

Never-the-less, it is good to remember that sometimes the Co causing the color is so low in concentration that EDXRF won’t detect it, though UV-vis indicates its presence. I haven’t looked at it with a desktop spectroscope yet, but even so, that may not show even weak Co bands. It takes relatively minute concentrations to cause a blue color as intense as that caused by higher concentrations of iron. It can be anywhere from non-detectable to 0.05 % by wt; in fact, a spinel has been reported colored blue by cobalt with as little as 0.00053% - that is 5.3 ppm.

As for locality – Hunza Valley, Pakistan. A quick note to a colleague in Bangkok confirmed it as a known locality for cobalt spinel, and indeed if you check back through the literature, you will see that Dr. Gübelin reported this as early as 1982.

Best wishes,

Elise

Jason

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2010 12:42    Post subject: Re: Cobalt bearing spinel from Pakistan  

If Co is causing the color regardless of amount present it will show up on spectrograph. Thats pretty cool..about 90% of all the stones I sell are pakistani and afghan in origin and I have never seen or been offered any Co spinel or even blue spinel from pakistan nor have I ever sold a Co spinel gem with it's origin from pakistan.....really had no idea..Richard Hughes and Vincent Pardiaeu never mentioned it either...learn something new every day..do you have any reference material you can link me to with any info about them, location, or just blue/Co bearing spinel from pakistan in general? Thanks Elise

Elise

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2010 13:09    Post subject: Re: Cobalt bearing spinel from Pakistan  

amethystguy wrote:
..about 90% of all the stones I sell are pakistani and afghan in origin and I have never seen or been offered any Co spinel or even blue spinel from pakistan nor have I ever sold a Co spinel gem with it's origin from pakistan.....really had no idea..

From what you are saying, you sell cut stones or faceting rough; I would suggest that you have your material tested if you are selling them as such. Probably the easiest articles for you to access would be in Gems & Gemology-- regarding this locality: "Gemstones of Pakistan, Emerald, Ruby and Spinel by Dr. Gübelin (F82) and probably the first definitive paper on the subject: "Cobalt-Blue Gem Spinels" by Dr. Shigley and C. Stockton (Sp84). There are several others since and in other publications. My thought that these are cobalt spinels is based on a weak Co spectrum and a bright red Chelsea filter reaction. As I said previously, my information about cobalt-bearing spinels being from that locality is anecdotal, though from someone who knows the area and knew Dr. Gübelin.

Meanwhile, back to mineral specimens: last night we were treated to a travelogue of adventure through the mountains and valleys of China and Pakistan's Hunza Valley which brought to life the descriptions of Dr. Gübelin and others who have explored these areas. It was fascinating to once again examine a few of the specimens, this time in the company of a mineralogist, and to put them in context of the locality while looking at maps and pictures. I don't have measurements of the crystals below, but the ruby crystal is about 30mm long and not nearly as purple as my picture implies; it is in fact very very red! The spinels and rubies burned bright in the UV box under LW - great fun. I made a "still-life" to share here, with a close-up of the blue spinels and a crystal suite which has feldspar, scapolite and a yet unknown dark crystal. This little arrangement of specimens reminds me that spring is coming and along with it, flowers.

Best wishes,
Elise
PS - Jordi - since it is now out of context, may I just note for the readers that this thread was split from my calcite posting : https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=10749&highlight=#10749

crystalgarden.jpg
 Description:
Garden of Crystals from Hunza Valley Pakistan: Ruby Corundum, Purple Corundum, Red Spinel, Blue Spinel, Green Pargasite; all in white marble matrix with phlogopite here and there.
 Viewed:  18728 Time(s)

crystalgarden.jpg

spinel.jpg
 Description:
Spinel, Hunza Valley Pakistan
 Viewed:  18705 Time(s)

spinel.jpg

unknown.jpg
 Description:
Feldspar, Scapolite and unknown dark crystal, Pakistan
 Viewed:  18682 Time(s)

unknown.jpg

Jason

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2010 12:51    Post subject: Re: Cobalt bearing spinel from Pakistan  

missed your reply elise..great pics..i get all my cobalts spectra..makes a big difference when selling..stand out in the flood of unsavory sellers with "cobalt blue" spinels..lack of gray mask is the best thing about cobalt as opposed to an iron colored blue...I am going to copy your post and post someplace else if thats okay with you..other place doesn't allow outside links so i have to copy and paste ..so you saw Co lines..what range by chance? don't and won't ever trust the chelsea filter..not good foir anything but cleaning toilets..not even good for emeralds anymore..thanks
jason

Elise

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2010 20:22    Post subject: Re: Cobalt bearing spinel from Pakistan  

amethystguy wrote:
........ don't and won't ever trust the chelsea filter..not good foir anything........

I hope this doesn't mean you threw out the baby with the bathwater as well. I have a drawer full of filters of all sorts, a spectroscope with several different color-filter settings and the built-in filters (yellowing corneas) inherent to those of us in the over-50 crowd who are just trying to make out those absorption lines down in the near 400 nm blue range. Minerals act as filters themselves when light passes through - I encourage you to play with the CF and see what you what you can discover; you might find it is useful in combination with other criteria.... or just pure fun.

Just a thought from someone who owns many styles of shades (filters)... amber (for driving), polaroid (for sailing), rose (for Mondays),
Elise

"Well, when I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say."
(Van Morrison).

Jason

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Re: Cobalt bearing spinel from Pakistan  

Dr. Hanneman has many cool things that can be used with the CH filter..most top gemmo's i know won't even touch one..it's a trade off..using one for Co spin. is good and works but as you know it was made for emeralds..so checking for chromium in other things can give you weird readings..keep the good post coming

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: