We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 25, 2024 03:57

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Elise

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2010 08:51    Post subject: Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl  

This is an inquiry on the behalf of a researcher here at Cornell University: does anyone know where one might obtain a nice photograph of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl which can be used in an upcoming publication of a scientific paper (in nanotechnology). The authors were referred to us, hoping they could find a copyright free image or one which they might use with proper attribution in their paper. From his inquiry: " We are in the final turns of writing this paper where we've been able to stabilize these 6-fold nanoparticles in a high yield (greater than 90% have this symmetry). They look very much like a cyclic twin since they have orthorhombic unit cells, and that makes it a pretty interesting find. I didn't know twinning could be controlled en masse and for nanoparticles. Bill was helping us determine that it is a cyclic twin. Now we'd like to amplify this point by putting a picture of a chrysoberyl cyclic twin into our paper. Do you know of any resources for this? Or do you have any images of a chrysoberyl cyclic twin that we could use? We'd be very grateful." After looking through Wikipedia and Creative Commons, I thought maybe there might be a FMF member with knowledge of an educational resource or that had a portrait which they might think fun to connect to such a project.

Best wishes,
Elise

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2010 10:55    Post subject: Re: Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl  

Hello Elise,

Don't know if it will help, but did you try the ESRF (www(dot)esrf(dot)eu/AboutUs/CompanyInfo/UsefulNumbers). It has a large collection of X-Ray diffraction pictures. Maybe one of them is from what you are looking for ?

Christophe
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2010 11:12    Post subject: Re: Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl  

Hi Elise, I believe they look for a macro image not a nano image?

If correct, I can suggest to you the image below.

Folch collection Chrysoberyl - Brazil.jpg
 Description:
Twinned Chrysoberyl from Folch collection
About 8 x 8 cm.
Espirito Santo - Brazil
Photo. Carme Gimeno
 Viewed:  20704 Time(s)

Folch collection Chrysoberyl - Brazil.jpg

Elise

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2010 11:24    Post subject: Re: Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl  

Yes, sorry I should have said a macro image of a nice specimen. This would be for publishing in a journal and probably also for using in any associated powerpoint presentation on the study, so would have to have permission from the owner of the image. The image above looks like a likely candidate. Is this yours Jordi or can I put him in contact with you regarding its use? Maybe if there are several pictures suggested, I can direct him to this thread and he can see what best suits the need. Thank you so much for the quick replies! Elise

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2010 12:01    Post subject: Re: Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl  

Elise wrote:
Is this yours Jordi or can I put him in contact with you regarding its use?

No problems for the use Elise, just credit: Image from Carme Gimeno - https://www.foro-minerales.com

On case they would need the high resolution image then please contact with me.

I add another pic.

Twinned Chrisoberyl - Lac Alaotra Madagascar.jpg
 Description:
Twinned Chrysoberyl
Lac Alaotra, Alaotra-Mangoro, Tamatave, Madagascar
Former Silvane collection
Specimen size: 4.1 × 2.8 × 0.5 cm.
Photo from "Reference Specimens"
 Viewed:  20697 Time(s)

Twinned Chrisoberyl - Lac Alaotra Madagascar.jpg

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2010 16:33    Post subject: Re: Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl  

Why are the authors fixed on chrysoberyl? Why not aragonite, or many other orthorhombic minerals that make pseudo-hexagonal twins? But certainly chrysoberyl is a very pretty example!

There's only a hint of the content in this thread, but I am suspicious of hypotheses which involve bringing discrete (even nano) particles together as a mechanism of forming twins. I'd be interested to see the paper....

RichRobinson

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2010 20:06    Post subject: Re: Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl  

Thank you for your comments and for the nice picture. Such a helpful and speedy community you are!

I am posting a picture I sent to Bill Bassett of our crystals. The material is Co2P. It has an orthorhombic unit cell. Under the right conditions we can get a full batch of particles to form these 6-fold symmetry stars. The Dark Field images (DF) in the figure are electron microscope diffraction images. They show that opposite arms have the same orientation. You can also see how the structures retain a 60 degrees spacing even when they have less than 6 arms.
In response to Pete we don't think this is agglomeration of nanoparticles but the twins form during nucleation. In the lower figure titled "Aliquots" you see a time series of the particles. Their seeds form the star shapes.
These facts led us to believe it was a cyclic twin that was causing the symmetry.

Cool parts: I don't know of a nanoparticle synthesis that has ever produced a >90% yield of six-fold symmetry particles. Does this happen in nature? If you find one cyclic twin chrysoberyl are all the other chrysoberyl around it also cyclic twinned since they were formed under the same conditions?
And how and under what conditions would all nuclei choose to produce the same twin?
All this is new to me.

thanks!
richard (the cornell person)

cyclic twins for Bill.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  20641 Time(s)

cyclic twins for Bill.jpg

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2010 14:54    Post subject: Re: Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl  

Yes, I think twinning during nucleation is much more likely....

As for "always twinning", I'm not sure about chrysoberyl, but it seems to me that if some are cyclic twins, at least most of them are cyclic twins. Aragonite from certain locations always forms cyclic twins (saying "always" always makes me nervous...). Epididymite (orthorhombic) and eudidymite (monoclinic) from some occurrences at Mont Saint-Hilaire are always cyclic twins. I think there are other examples as well.

Why this is so is less clear. Twins may be able to grow faster in certain environments than untwinned crystals, and the latter may not survive the very early stages of growth, when re-dissolution can easily occur. A useful discussion of the energetics of twin formation, and other aspects of twinning, can be found in Sunagawa, Ichiro, 2005, Crystals: Growth, Morphology, and Perfection, Cambridge Press, pp. 128-137.

Peter

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2010 07:03    Post subject: Re: Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl  

Very interesting to get people from different fields in here Jordi. The Folch Chrysoberyl is MAGNIFICENT! Thanks for posting. Will need to come to Barcelona only for studying this collection.

RichRobinson

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2011 21:50    Post subject: Re: Image of cyclic twinning in chrysoberyl  

Thanks for the chrysoberyl images. our paper on cyclic twinning in now published. I am attaching the page with the picture.

The highlights of the paper are 1) we can form a “monodisperse” batch of anisotropic particles (>84% of the yield are six-armed particles. Instead of a motley bunch of anisotropic particles they all obey six-fold symmety. 2) we believe they nucleate from cyclic twins, which would make this a controlled method to produce identically twinned nuclei

DOI: 10.1021/nl103400a | Nano Lett. 2011, 11, 188–197

enjoy
richard

Nano Lett v11p188 2011 Co2P hyperbranched using TOPO for P source_Page_08.jpg
 Description:
Chrysoberyl picture featured from Joan Rosell from the page in the paper
 Viewed:  19517 Time(s)

Nano Lett v11p188 2011 Co2P hyperbranched using TOPO for P source_Page_08.jpg

Nano Lett v11p188 2011 Co2P hyperbranched using TOPO for P source_Page_01.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  19546 Time(s)

Nano Lett v11p188 2011 Co2P hyperbranched using TOPO for P source_Page_01.jpg