We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-06:20:21 Re: identification question (James Catmur)
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 07:04

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Natural History Museum London
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Index -> Natural History Museum London

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 05:21    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Darren wrote:
I remember reading a review of the museum a few years ago that was not very nice! Kind of cool to see it, thanks.
Darren

Concerning the images, I assume that probably Alan Hart should have some (or a lot ;-) good photos of the Museum's specimens.

If yes and he would be so kind to download few here, probably it would help a little to make more visible the SUPERB quality of the specimens of the Museum...

Jordi
PS: Of course the same proposal is valid for any other Museum. Curators, please give us, mortals, the chance to see partially your treasures dowloading some images, as (for example) Seaman Museum did! -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1416

ian jones

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 07:20    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Nurbo - DSC00255.JPG "with wad". Wad is an indeterminate manganese ore, usually a mixture of pyrolusite and romanechite.

Darren - The not very nice review that you recall is of the then new mineral gallery in what was the Geological Museum, now incorporated into the Natural History Museum. It is the display that Jesse mentions above, and is a disaster! The quality of the specimens is something else though, they are superb.

Anyone visiting London should see both galleries, bring a torch for the new gallery though!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Alan.Hart

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 11:58    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Ah I see many old friends here. Yes Jordi, we do have some images, but we are now embarking on a more structured programme of image digitisation. Some of our best material will go to our photo studio, some will be more 'automated' through pushing through a lighting/camera set-up to basically 'capture' the specimen for databases.

I often thought of perhaps uploading some images on a regular basis for people to see the collection - not sure what our IPR and digital asset department will think however - again something that might not be thought of as having to consider but National Museums funded out of the public purse do!

The 'shop' has contacted me, and I shall have a meeting with them with regard to disclosure of treatments so thats a good way forward i will even suggest some stocking options as well.

As many of you have seen our 'new diamond' is in place, we even had some queueing down the gallery outside the Vault which was good to see.

And below, a little image to enjoy!

ChalcociteBM1964R338CapeCornwallMineADH.JPG
 Description:
Russell Collection chalcocite, BM1964,R388. This specimen isn't on public display but is part of an extensive suite of chalcocites from Cornwall. Personally I love this piece, especially the association with chalcopyrite 'blister copper', which in daylight has a beautiful iridescent tarnish. A real old timer from the Cape Cornwall mine near St. Just. specimen is approximately 15x15cm.
 Viewed:  30199 Time(s)

ChalcociteBM1964R338CapeCornwallMineADH.JPG

Elise

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 12:29    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Alan.Hart wrote:
Yes Jordi, we do have some images, but we are now embarking on a more structured programme of image digitisation. Some of our best material will go to our photo studio, some will be more 'automated' through pushing through a lighting/camera set-up to basically 'capture' the specimen for databases. I often thought of perhaps uploading some images on a regular basis for people to see the collection - not sure what our IPR and digital asset department will think however - again something that might not be thought of as having to consider but National Museums funded out of the public purse do!

This is something we are also working on here at Cornell. Carl Francis' group at Harvard presented a wonderful PowerPoint of their similar project at the recent SMMP meeting in Tucson illustrating some great innovations; perhaps I can lure them into putting part of that on the thread here: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1580

Cheers!
Elise

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 13:39    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

One of the great treasures housed at the NHM London is the Sir Arthur Russell collection. During the early to mid 20th century Russell assembled one of the finest and most thorough collections of British minerals ever gathered together. It is said that he almost spent the family into poverty in doing so, but upon his death in 1964, the collection was willed in it's entirety to the museum. Unfortunately for the visiting public, much of it is not on display and advance arrangements must be made to see it. Fortunately, Alan and Mike have been quite accommodating on my repeated visits over the past few years while researching English fluorite localities. Below are a few photos of some of my favorite Northern English fluorites fro the collection. In deference to Ian Jones, I'll try to get some Cornish fluorites posted soon - unless he wants to!

Boltsburn-1414br.jpg
 Description:
Boltsburn Mine
 Viewed:  30247 Time(s)

Boltsburn-1414br.jpg

Boltsburn-1918r.jpg
 Description:
Boltsburn Mine
 Viewed:  30175 Time(s)

Boltsburn-1918r.jpg

Hilton-1729r.jpg
 Description:
Hilton Mine
 Viewed:  30140 Time(s)

Hilton-1729r.jpg

Rotherhope-1634r.jpg
 Description:
Rotherhope Fell Mine
 Viewed:  30152 Time(s)

Rotherhope-1634r.jpg

WhitesLevel1524b.jpg
 Description:
White's Level, Middlehope. From a large find in 1818.
 Viewed:  30190 Time(s)

WhitesLevel1524b.jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 14:08    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Just a quick note confirming all that Jesse said, specially the amazing quality of the whole Russell collection and also add that the NHM owns another fabulous treasure: the Henry Ludlam collection.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 14:43    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Yes, the Ludlam collection is older and less well-known than Russell's but contains some important specimens, such as this matlockite (the coin is 2.5 cm).

Ludlam-Matlockite-r.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30114 Time(s)

Ludlam-Matlockite-r.jpg

Alan.Hart

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 17:24    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Hi again, yes the Ludlam collection contains some incredible specimens. We have now moved the 17,500 specimens of the Collection into the Russell room where Austin Woodbridge has spent the last 4 years re-housing and pulling together all the associated information. I remember when Mike and I first saw this matlockite - we werespeechless - we even had it x-rayed to ensure ID as at first we had a niggling feeling that it may possibly be an odd 'baryte'. we have some original letters from Ludlam to the miners who first discovered these specimens and as you can read, Henry Ludlam was very keen to get what he could(!).

Interestingly one of our best proustite specimens that is now in the Mineral collection was purchased by Ludlam for £200 from Stevens Sales Rooms in the Strand, after which he promptly donated it to us (then of course the BM). Amazing.

nurbo

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 03:46    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Thanks Ian, Ive never come across wad before,
This thread seems to have taken on a life of its own now, so I will bow out with my badly taken phoio's in the hope that better pictures than I managed with my phone will be posted over the coming weeks.
I love the Russell Chalcocite Alan and thanks for posting the Fluorites Jesse, they are pretty stunning too. The Bolts Burn elongated cube is really weird,

Woody Thompson

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 09:50    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

I finally had my first visit to the Natural History Museum this past October. The breadth and quality of the mineral gallery met and exceeded my expectations! Thanks to Mike Rumsey for a backstage tour and the chance to see some remarkable Cornish specimens in the Russell collection. It was a great help in some collection research that I'm doing. Will post a few photos here.

Caradon .jpg
 Description:
A "rock candy" fluorite from Cornwall. Possibly my favorite specimen in the mineral hall.
 Viewed:  30065 Time(s)

Caradon .jpg

Woody Thompson

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 09:53    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

A beautiful fluorite/galena combo from Wheal Mary Ann.

MaryAnn.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30038 Time(s)

MaryAnn.jpg

Woody Thompson

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 09:56    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Gemmy, intense blue fluorite from the Holmbush Mine, Callington, Cornwall. This is in the Russell Collection.

Holmbush.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30029 Time(s)

Holmbush.jpg

Woody Thompson

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 10:07    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

The large and famous siderite pocket from Wheal Maudlin.

WhealMaudlin(1).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  29984 Time(s)

WhealMaudlin(1).jpg

Woody Thompson

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 10:09    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Close-up of siderite with quartz, Wheal Maudlin, Cornwall.

WhealMaudlin(2).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30011 Time(s)

WhealMaudlin(2).jpg

Woody Thompson

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 10:14    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

St. Agnes chalcopyrite.

StAgnes.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  29972 Time(s)

StAgnes.jpg

Woody Thompson

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 10:33    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Another form of chalcopyrite from St. Agnes, Cornwall.

BlisterCopper.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  29948 Time(s)

BlisterCopper.jpg

Woody Thompson

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 10:35    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

A rare location piece of Cornish silver.

CornishSilver.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  29931 Time(s)

CornishSilver.jpg

Woody Thompson

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 10:42    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

And finally, one of those cases of huge and remarkable specimens that Jesse mentioned as being in the Geological Museum adjacent to the NHM. Note the boulder-size specimen of schorl and white apatite crystals from the famous old locality in Bovey Tracey, Devon!

GeologicalMuseum.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  29932 Time(s)

GeologicalMuseum.jpg

arturo shaw

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 04:39    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

Back from London, pain on my legs, but with some pictures that will be posted in the Spanish side (sorry :-) ) as soon as I can.

I will write more comments later but I need to say two things now.

First: London museums should advice on their internet page about the dates of the "Term Holydays". Because of that I have had only 45 minutes to visit the Collection till the security people push me out (almost literally) and that thanks to the fact that it was "Last Friday of the Month" and I could join the party downstairs. :-)

Second: In the line of Jordi's proposal. Wouldn't be nice if the Museums would keep a database of the specimens being shown (with pictures or not) that could be accessed from the Internet? I think that could be a good step forward in the path of "knowledge dissemination" and may be a not-so-difficult one.

Let me now finish with a picture of a poster that would make more sense in this side that the Spanish one. Do you recognize the face? ;-)

Cheers

Arturo

doors.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  29870 Time(s)

doors.jpg

Tom Tucker

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 12:20    Post subject: Re: Natural History Museum London  

I had the pleasure of visiting the Natural History Museum about 12 years ago. I remember most the large BOURNONITE specimen from Cornwall, and also the interesting "Sunday Rock" - a laminated recent deposition of microcrystalline BARYTE, which as I recall the explanation - has obviously thicker lamina every seventh layer - due to the miners not working on Sunday, and the water pumps being shut off, permitting a thicker deposit of new mineral. Of course, I suppose it's not really a mineral, since the hand of Man was significant in its origin.
A feature I wish all museums would adopt - there was a poster on a wall with an index to the various cases where the different species could be seen. It might not have been current or complete, but it was helpful in locating all the ANATASE, and TYUYAMUNITE for example.
Another bonus - near to the museum was a publications sales office of the Geological Survey, where a very helpful saleslady led me to a variety of publications about British geology.
A great museum, photography allowed, and only a handful of other visitors during the two or three hours I was there.

Index -> Natural History Museum London   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 4
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: