We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 19, 2024 17:22

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Museums policy
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gail

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2009 22:01    Post subject: Re: Museums policy  

From Marc Wilson at the Carnegie:

Dear Gail,

I think you’ve got a good Idea. Too many times we are contacted by well-meaning persons with no clue as to how to go about finding a home for their collections. While I appreciate their sincerity, I sometimes wonder if we are the right choice or if they would be better served by another museum. As a primer, here are some fundamentals:

Once the collection is donated, it is the property of the museum. Promises to the contrary, no reputable museum can be certain that all specimens will always be displayed, or even kept, forever. It should be understood that as administrations change (in the 16 years I’ve been at Carnegie, we’ve had 4 Directors, 1 Interim Director, 2 Interim Director teams, 2 Presidents, 1 Interim President and an extended period of no President), so can priorities, procedures and mission statements (we’re currently on our 4th mission statement in 16 years). Thus, if you are donating your collection as an act of unselfish philanthropy (+/- tax deduction…) all well and good. If you want to create a monument to yourself, consider selling the collection and donating the proceeds to support a new museum hall that can be named after you.
Thus, expect a museum to accept only donations with no strings attached.
Visit the museum you wish to support so you can learn how your donation may fit its specific needs (or not). I encourage prospective donors to visit with me for from hours to a full day so I can show the exhibit and storage facilities and we can discuss future plans for permanent and temporary exhibits. If donated specimens fulfill a specific demonstrated need, the odds are great that they will continue to be valued and displayed by the museum.
Be aware that not all specimens within your collection will be of equal value to the museum. Some may be duplicates of specimens already contained within the collections or duplication within your own collection may be considered excessive. It takes time and resources to catalog and maintain museum collections. We cannot afford to catalog and keep everything that everyone wants preserved. It may eventually be in the museum’s best interest to loan, give or trade some specimens to other museums or universities, to expend part or all of a specimen in destructive research, or to sell surplus specimens on the open market. This should be discussed with the curator before the gift is finalized.
I am loath to accept display-quality specimens if I know that they will just end up taking space in a drawer for indefinite storage. I have actually refused some such gifts and recommended that they be offered to alternative museums. Collections should be directed towards the venue where they will do the most good. Sometimes, this is not the obvious choice of big, well-known museums.
Remember that museums and their personnel are not allowed to appraise donations to their own collections, or even recommend appraisers. This should be researched by the collector early enough in the year to allow the process to be completed in time to qualify for tax deductions in the year of choice. Too often, I get cold calls in the second or third week of December from persons needing help in getting appraisals for donations that they are just informing us of. For monetarily significant donations, a tax lawyer is recommended to supervise the process and safeguard your financial position. This may sound like a hassle, but I’ll bet it’s a lot less hassle than an unfavorable “IRS” audit would be!

Most museum collections are built around donated or purchased private collections and we are kept healthy and active by the continuation of such donations. Collectors often have great sentiment and emotional capital invested in their collections. Both museums and collectors are best served through open discussion and an honest appraisal of how a donated collection will benefit your favorite museum. A little upfront research and effort on the collector’s part may save a lot of hard feelings later.

Good luck on a great idea!

Marc

Peter

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2009 15:05    Post subject: Re: Museums policy  

Gail
Thank you for another interesting and important thread and I am happy to see the responses!

Perhaps an interesting second thread is the policy of various museums for the public to see specimens not on display.

For instance very enthusiastic young collectors should be encouraged and not limited in their quest to learn and satisfy their knowledge thirst.

With digital imaging, it is both fast and less expensive to document a collection so that it can also be used online by interested parties.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

katherine.Dunnell

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2009 13:25    Post subject: Re: Museums policy  

Peter raises a point that is brought up all the time, that of digital photography and tmuseum collections. From the outside this seems like a simple task, point, click and throw them up on the web.
Those who work at museums know this is a larger and more taxing endeavor.
Having just gone through this process for the e-labelling system in our new Teck gallery, we hired a contract photographer for 6 months to image 2300 minerals. After that, we had someone editting and touching up the images, and someone else to catalogue the digital assets with one of the curatorial team adding metadata.
This whole process took 18 months and cost a six figure sum. With limited time and resource this isnt as easy as throwing some images up on the web. The operational time is balanced by knowing that the images are usable, set to a high museum standard, and can be used in publication. The reality of our museum is that if you are going to do it and commit personal resource to it, then the resulting images are high quality and re-usable.

On a similar note, in the next month or so we will have high res images of all the minerals in our new gallery available on the web. I will certainly keep you all posted.

Very best
Katherine Dunnell
ROM Mineralogy
https://www.rom.on.ca/collections/technicians/dunnell.php
(link normalized by FMF)

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2009 14:29    Post subject: Re: Museums policy  

Hi Katherine:

Thank you for your comments and let me say that we are glad to discover that you are connected to the Forum. We will be looking forward to being able to access the images from ROM, and I am looking forward to seeing you in Tucson.

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2009 06:23    Post subject: Re: Museums policy  

Thank you everyone, I so appreciate all your responses.
I had lunch with some of the Dallas Museum of Nature and Science staff yesterday, I serve on their Advisory board and like to hear what is new and exciting.
I brought up the subject of donations and loans, it really made for some excellent conversation. They agree that a simple explanation of each museum's policies, at least enough to start someone thinking about donating, is essential to making it easier for all involved.
I have been asking various collector friends if they know much about donating and/or loaning mineral specimens to museums and most are just in the dark about the process.

As one woman said to me "MARKETING". She figured that museums need to make it enticing and easily negotiated. Of course, she was a collector and needs to see the perspectives of the Museum and staff that would need to make this all occur.

Do any of the museums have a fact sheet on their policies that is available to the general public?
I have learned, after many interviews, that most people do not know how to deal with museums on donating collections, individual pieces, or loaning either short or long term for display. They have no idea about tax breaks either.

I hope to see most of you in Tucson. We will be at the Westward Look for a showing of some of our pieces on Feb 7th from ten till four in the main lobby. We will also have a display at the Main Show. Please do introduce yourselves if I haven't met you already?

Peter

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2009 10:39    Post subject: Re: Museums policy  

Regarding the photographing of collections I am fully aware of the booth heavy investment in time and money. It is however much quicker and less expensive to make descent to good photographs for documentary purpose.

To, me there are so many treasures, of which I have been lucky to have had the opportunity to study many in drawers and cellars of the worlds museums, which should be documented for all reasons. For booth more scientific studies from scientific viewpoint to a more general interest from collectors and general public.

In almost every collection, even small local ones, there are or may be specimens of great interest. It may be the only survival of a rare specie from a deposit where during the last decades or more even the mine geologist question if the specie has ever been found in that deposit. Min dat is a very good step to gather photographic documentation of varied photographs of a specie, minerals from a deposit etc.

I am writing from TUCSON and the dealers exhibits here gives a great variety of specimens to study and document! Will be happ to see your wonderfull, collection Gail!

Sunny greetings

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2009 06:14    Post subject: Re: Museums policy  

I had a chance to attend and speak at the SMMP gathering at the Tucson convention center this past week or so. Alan Hart was kind enough to do a presentation, with power point, for all there. I followed with a question and answer session and great and diverse points of view were offered.
I also had a chance to have private conversations with many of the mineral curators after.
I have my work cut out for me!
All in all the response was positive and I look forward to a trip to the Smithsonian in a few weeks and hope to get some questions answered there, to begin with, as well as enjoying a few days to study the wonderful minerals. Jim will be flying up to join me also.
I also plan to spend time in discussion with John White while up that way.
( Anything North of Texas is UP to me...)
Cheers!

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 08, 2011 19:28    Post subject: Re: Museums policy  

A friend recently sent me a delightful short novel named "UTZ" by Bruce Chatwin (Viking, 1988). A fun read...

It is the story of a man so obsessed with collecting porcelain figurines (once a HUGE rage, shared by kings with jealously guarded secret recipes for making the stuff...and followed by a near total economic collapse on par with the tulip craze) that his collection rules his life (sound familiar?). He perhaps gets carried away a bit farther than most of us...but there is a delightful and thought-provoking passage that I repeat here as germane to this thread and as food for thought...

"An object in a museum case must suffer the de-natured existence of an animal in the zoo. In any museum the object dies-of suffocation and the public gaze-whereas private ownership confers on the owner the right and the need to touch. As a young child will reach out to handle the thing it names, so the passionate collector, his eye in harmony with his hand, restores to the object the life-giving touch of its maker. The collector's enemy is the museum curator. Ideally, museums should be looted every fifty years, and their collections returned to circulation"

The same could be said for collections?

META-Case.jpg
 Description:
META case, Tucson 2011
 Viewed:  12722 Time(s)

META-Case.jpg

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: