We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 24, 2024 19:47

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Groutite Identification

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

bugrock

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 19:13    Post subject: Groutite Identification  

I am wondering if there is a reliable physical method short of formal analysis to distinguishing groutite from the more common manganese minerals manganite and pyrolusite. All three vary in habit.

If the question is manganite vs pyrolusite the different color of streak seems to work (brown vs dark gray/blank) but it appears the color of the streak for groutite varies and may overlap the colors seen with the other two minerals.

As groutite is less common and specimens often have a higher price tag it would be very useful to be confident of identity.

Thanks for your help.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 19:25    Post subject: Re: Groutite Identification  

This is a tough call...mostly because few care that much about manganese oxides...historically soft Mn-ox got called pyrolusite and hard Mn-ox got called psilomelane. Having worked extensively with Mn-oxides I gave up on visual identification unless very well crystallized and stuck to XRD. I have been pleasantly surprised by recent interest in some Mn-ox species, like the recent romanechites from Chihuahua. it took Raman to ID it though...

roman 2.jpg
 Description:
Romanechite...Chihuahua City, Mexico
 Viewed:  17109 Time(s)

roman 2.jpg

roman 3.jpg
 Description:
ditto...
 Viewed:  17127 Time(s)

roman 3.jpg

bugrock

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 20:04    Post subject: Re: Groutite Identification  

Peter,

Thanks. Have been told the 'psilomelane" minerals are particularly difficult in that you need both elemental analysis and a spectrum to pin a name on them.

George

Montanpark

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2010 06:21    Post subject: Re: Groutite Identification  

George,
Peter has made a very valid point. An example of my experience: since i have got quite a lot of specimens a few years ago from the collection of the late Paul Hanses from the Bülten-Adenstedt mine, THE locality for Groutite and Ramsdellite in good specimens in Germany (and maybe Europe) i was very pleased (but also quite puzzled) seeing the all black and lustrous crystallized (but with quite differing habit) manganese oxides from there in the lot. So i decided to do an XRD on all visually different specimens (with one example for each "habit group") and was surprised that all gave groutite patterns. Some also had manganite and very few ramsdellite matches so intergrowth and pseudomorphs are possible (and well known from there). Of course i can not guarantee that ALL of the approx 50 specimens are groutite but i have a good probability from the exemplary XRD analyses. Visually i would say it is very hard to determine but the "classic" groutite habit from this mine is very characteristic. For any other mine from where i do not know the specimens from own experience i wouldn´t be able to visually identify groutite without doubt so any phase analysis would be necessary.

Regarding the "psilomelane" stuff .. no chance without chemical and other analytical methods to nail down exactly.

cheers
Roger

Luiz Menezes

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2010 20:13    Post subject: Re: Groutite Identification  

Inside cavities in granitic pegmatites the most common form of manganese oxyde is cryptomelane; for me it is impossible to guess without a qualitative chemical analysis, done through micro-probe, that will detect the presence of K, and further X-ray diffraction has confirmed that it is cryptomelane; some few times K cannot be detected, and then the X-ray normally shows that the mineral is pyrolusite; it is totally impossible to identify them just by the habit.

Luiz

bugrock

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2010 18:44    Post subject: Polianite and manganese oxides  

From what I can gather the term polianite is used as a variety of pyrolusite psm manganite. Based on previous comments it takes formal analysis to pin down the troublesome manganese oxide species.

On going through examples on mindat there are many instances where pyrolusite and ramsdellite form 'blocky' crystal groups. These two minerals are distinct species and apparently only distinguished on analysis. Wonder how often these names are used correctly.

But another puzzle is polianite. If this is a psm after manganite and the transition is chemically complete how would one know it is a psuedomorph even on analysis, assuming the 'blocky' crystal shape can be seen in both pyrolusite and manganite?

Like other variety names suppose 'polianite' could inappropriately be applied to what have always been pyrolusite crystals with blocky habit or needles tightly arranged in a 'blocky' form only because such material differs from the more typical needle like habit of pyrolusite.

George

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2010 11:33    Post subject: Re: Polianite and manganese oxides  

I believe in Europe "Polianite" is used for blocky crystals of Pirolusite instead needles and not for the pseudos, but as you mention this question it could be interesting to know that most (if not all) "Manganites" from the famous classic german locality of Ilfeld, in fact are not pure Manganite, but Manganite after Pyrolusite crystals.

On the other hand, the acute crystals of "Manganite" from Wessels and N'Chwaning mines them are really pure Manganite and not pseudos.

Tom Tucker

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 10:30    Post subject: Re: Groutite Identification  

Jordi, I've had this exact same question concerning the manganite-pyrolusite crystals from the various abandoned mines in Fort Valley, Virginia. They are sharp, lustrous black crystals but are they manganite or pyrolusite, or a pseudomorph of one after the other, and in that case, how would you know?

I'm running in to a similar problem in West Texas - I have confirmed nice micro-clusters of cryptomelane crystals, but there are also larger, black and brown blocky, well formed crystals in a variety of shapes that mostly appear to be pseudomorphs. I suppose I can have the present substance identified, but will we ever know what the precusors were ?

Tom

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 11:05    Post subject: Re: Groutite Identification  

Tom Tucker wrote:
but are they manganite or pyrolusite, or a pseudomorph of one after the other, and in that case, how would you know?...

By EDS or RDX, analizing the core and the surface of the crystals.

Jordi

bugrock

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2010 21:50    Post subject: Re: Groutite Identification  

If material is pure and if you are sure the material is either pyrolusite or manganite the streak of pyrolusite is dark grey-black and that of manganite brownish. But there are too many 'ifs' should little be known about the locality. There are other manganese oxide and Mn-O-Ba etc species as discussed under this thread previously. Also Fe-O species likely to occur in the same locations. Others not mentioned here can be found on mindat etc.

I've been shown the best way to check streak is to pick off a bit of mineral (metal picks like dental tools or those similar tools sold in hardware stores/ work with magnification) and crush it well in a white or very light colored mortar and pestle. The color will then be obvious, only very tiny fragments are needed, and you do not have to fear chipping or scratching your specimen.

But back to the term polianite, I wonder if it could be overused non-specific term, like adularia.

George

bugrock

PostPosted: May 11, 2011 00:13    Post subject: Re: A Dark Topic and a "Pearl"  

Hello all,

Returning to an old thread, the dark manganese oxides/hydroxides with the hope some will want to read more on the subject?

A paper was presented at the last Rochester Symposium and the following article cited.
It is not too difficult to wade through and explains basic structures and significance for mineralogy and materials science.

Give it a try. I am not a mineralogist but this is the clearest presentation of the subject I've run across.

And yes, the 'pearl". I became aware at the symposium that mineralogy and materials science are not always on a four (OK eight) lane highway into each others realms even thought that seems logical. I know there are exceptions and some are very comfortable in both fields. If not overly technical this feels like a thread for future discussion.

George

Citation:

Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA
Vol. 96, pp. 3447–3454, March 1999 Colloquium Paper

This paper was presented at the National Academy of Sciences colloquium ‘‘Geology, Mineralogy, and Human Welfare,’’ held November 8–9, 1998 at the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center in Irvine, CA.

Manganese oxide minerals: Crystal structures and economic and environmental significance

JEFFREY E. POST Department of Mineral Sciences, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560-0119

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: