We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 09:30

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
New tool: fields to fill in when you publish a photo of a mineral specimen

Index -> Comments & Suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Xavi Tutusaus

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 06:24    Post subject: New tool: fields to fill in when you publish a photo of a mineral specimen  

Dear FMFers, I would like to tell you all about a new feature that we have just added to the forum that is there to help improve the way the FMF Gallery ( https://www.topminerals.info ) works. I shall explain:

- Up until now, when you add a photo of a minerals specimen to a message, if you do not add any descriptive text it leaves the image a little less appealing and also means that there is no data associated with it when is automatically added to the FMF Gallery, so not mineral & locality, which would enable rapid and effective organisation.

- This new feature that we have added means that each image of a mineral (there is no need to do it for photos that are not of minerals) that is added will include the information needed to improve this, so that in turn the FMF Gallery can be perfectly sorted by mineral name.

There are 3 simple new fields that need to be completed that we have added when you use 'Write a REPLY', and between the 'Filename' and the 'File Comment'. These are: Mineral, Locality, and Dimensions. These fields, once there are filled in, will automatically appear as text in that order respectively in the 'Description' box of the published message.

This does not stop you adding any other comments you might have, which you can do in the normal way in the 'File Comment' field, it is just that by filling in the three new fields we will ALWAYS see the mineral name first, then the locality, then the size and thus will see the images correctly in order in the FMF Gallery.

I have attached two images of it, but if you have any questions please ask us on the forum and we will try to help.

Yours, Xavi

New fields to fill in 1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  16517 Time(s)

New fields to fill in 1.jpg

New fields to fill in 2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  16518 Time(s)

New fields to fill in 2.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maxilos

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 10:54    Post subject: Re: New tool: fields to fill in when you publish a photo of a mineral specimen  

Hi,
If you do not know one of the fields, can you still post the photo?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Debbie Woolf

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 11:08    Post subject: Re: New tool: fields to fill in when you publish a photo of a mineral specimen  

I've just tried this out, I found out it's best to add the photo attachments first then add the required info after as this info disappears if you add it before the photo.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 11:19    Post subject: Re: New tool: fields to fill in when you publish a photo of a mineral specimen  

Maxilos wrote:

If you do not know one of the fields, can you still post the photo?

Sure, the fields are not mandatory but a kind of help to place the details on the right order to make nicer each member's page in FMF Gallery.

Debbie Woolf wrote:

I've just tried this out, I found out it's best to add the photo attachments first then add the required info after as this info disappears if you add it before the photo.

Correct Debbie, but I beleive the same thing happened on the past if you used the box "Filename" after to fill in the box "File Comment"

Just to give you an example of the utility of this new tool, take your own gallery -> https://www.topminerals.info/index.php?searchterms=&searchauthor=Debbie+Woolf&level=search It looks great Debbie, but it would looks still better if every mineral would have its species name and they were organized by name, right? Well, this is like they will look on the future if you always fill in the new fields! ;-)
Please take a look to (for example) the Enrique Llorens gallery -> https://www.topminerals.info/index.php?searchterms=&searchauthor=Enrique+Llorens&level=search nice, with all names alphabetically listed, right? ;-)

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 11:28    Post subject: Re: New tool: fields to fill in when you publish a photo of a mineral specimen  

Hi Jordi,

Great improvement. It would be even better if beside the locality field, you could add a drop-list containing the list of localities already available in your database. So it would prevent locality duplicates whose only difference being upper-case vs lower-case for instance (an ajax getter would sort the list content based on the first chars typed by the publisher).

Christophe

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 11:37    Post subject: Re: New tool: fields to fill in when you publish a photo of a mineral specimen  

Absolutely Chris, but unfortunately the phpBB technology don't permit us to do it, or at least we don't found the way to prepare it. The phpBB font code is devoted to a Forum and although is a free font code and we can play with it, it seems it has a lot of complications to change it. When we touch something, another different feature becomes broken.
Is not a web page but a forum's page, and with its peculiar technology... ;-)

Debbie Woolf

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 12:32    Post subject: Re: New tool: fields to fill in when you publish a photo of a mineral specimen  

Jordi Fabre wrote:

It looks great Debbie, but it would looks still better if every mineral would have its species name and they were organized by name, right?
;-)

Yes I agree totally with you, do I need to edit each one to make it conform ?

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 13:17    Post subject: Re: New tool: fields to fill in when you publish a photo of a mineral specimen  

Debbie Woolf wrote:

Yes I agree totally with you, do I need to edit each one to make it conform ?

Debbie, you get a "Jordi's happy hour" and I edited your posts for you. Tomorrow when the system refresh your Gallery will looks great ;-)

To do it I moved your request about the locality of a specimen to the section "What is it? - Where is it from?" -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=18406#18406

This is an one time "Jordi's happy hour", I can't do it for everybody basically because the days have only 24 hours!

If the people publish properly the species in the "Collection" Forums, maybe on the future, slowly, I will try to clean the "not normalized" posts, but I can't promise it...;-)

Debbie Woolf

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2011 05:51    Post subject: Re: New tool: fields to fill in when you publish a photo of a mineral specimen  

Jordi, thank you very much for your time/happy hour, it's much appreciated.

The gallery now looks great & I will have to add more !

Thank You
Debbie

Index -> Comments & Suggestions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: