We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 19, 2024 22:59

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Question About Field Gathering Minerals

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

trtlman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2011 12:11    Post subject: Question About Field Gathering Minerals  

Where can someone mine or search for minerals? I noticed one post where someone was taking them from a Himalayan Mine. I thought mines are owned by someone. Also what about parks? I know government land you can not collect minerals but what about parks that belong to the city. I know of several parks around here with a creek running through that produces good specimens every now and then. Also Vancouver Lake Park and Frenchman's Bar. And are rivers off limits at all I have collected from the Columbia river multiple times

And my main concern what about beaches. Is it legal to gather from a beach in the US? I live in Washington and Long Beach is the only one I get out to and I have collected from the beach before but don't want to risk getting in trouble collecting from there.

Also in addition how about the mountains, which mountains can someone gather from? I am sure any mountains that are government or private land can't be collected from but what about public land. I have gathered a couple things from the mountains around Red Butte WA while on a hunting trip with a friend.

And now the last question, how do you know if someone owns the mineral rights to a certain area? I would hate to remove a specimen from some where and have those minerals be owned by someone else. I love reading the posts on here about people field collecting and want to start doing this myself.

robynahawk

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2011 13:01    Post subject: Re: Question About Field Gathering Minerals  

I can answer part of your questions...I was the one who posted about the Himalaya.

There are several FEE Digs throughout the country - if you check the link I gave before you will see that High Desert Gems operates Fee Digs in Oregon for Sunstone as well as Southern California for Tourmaline...and several other locations in between.

There are Fee Digs in Arkansas for Diamonds - in Montana for Sapphire, etc.

These are privately owned mines that the owners allow people to dig at for a fee. Due to the more recent Insurance Restrictions some mines bring Frontloaders of Mine Dirt to a Communal area where people can sift and rinse buckets of dirt.

As with any mining venture...the more dirt you move the more likely you are to find something worthwhile.

I hope this helps...
Robyn

Home at flyviewsandreviews.blogspot com
Reply to topic Reply with quote

trtlman

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2011 16:08    Post subject: Re: Question About Field Gathering Minerals  

Thanks I didn't know there was a fee dig in this area unfortunately I do not have the resources to take a seven hour drive to get there

robynahawk

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2011 17:43    Post subject: Re: Question About Field Gathering Minerals  

I am hesitant to give information about field collection as I am an amateur myself - was hoping for a post from some veterans. ;)

Laws and regulations are different in each state - you can find out your state regs at the BLM office in the area you want to search...that is the Bureau of Land Management.

BUT - I find that the easiest way to get into field collecting is with an experienced guide.
If you go to amfed (dot) org and click Club Sites it will give you a list of Gem & Mineral Groups in your area. Most clubs have a Fieldtrip Chairman that plans local filed trips or joins with another local club for trips. This is easiest way to learn collecting areas and rules for your area.

There are also independent groups - there is a Fieldtrip Fanatics Group on Ning:
https://rockhound-field-trips.ning.com

Tim at Ore-Rock has link to fieldtrips in Oregon/Washington Area:
https://orerockon.com/ore_rock.htm

The Washington State Mineral Council has lots of info:
https://mineralcouncil.org

...and last there is a VERY active group of Washington State Jade collectors on Facebook;
https://facebook.com/groups/103080216397469
(links normalized by FMF)

Robyn Hawk

Home at flyviewsandreviews.blogspot com
Reply to topic Reply with quote

John Nash

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2011 20:22    Post subject: Re: Question About Field Gathering Minerals  

Daniel,
I like to find old mines. You might study the Canadian areas close enough to where you live. Up there you are much more likely to find abandoned mine sites un-"reclaimed" where you can poke around in the dumps. There are usually a lot of minerals to be found that way. Look in old historical records. I found a lot of old silver mines around Thunder Bay, Ontario that way. Don't go in old mine adits unless you've got a very experienced person with you. Also, try asking the Provincial Geologist in the district you're researching. There's also the Canadian government ClaimMaps site/service, which shows all current and many old claims, prospects, etc. coupled with detailed maps. Once you know where you're looking, Google Earth overlaid with old mining claim maps works wonders. Just screen capture an old map, render it semi-transparent and lay it over GE images.

You might also check out the Rock Candy Mine in BC, I think there may be fee digs there from time to time. In Washington state there's a great zeolite locality in the Olympic Peninsula, the Washington Pit, Mason County.
https://www.washingtonminerals.com/rp.htm
(link normalized by FMF)
- you might contact Jeff Schwartz who runs that site. (I have no commercial interest in that website, just passing it on as an interesting resource)

John

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: