We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 25, 2024 16:57

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Calcite crystal faces - unusual terminations - help?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jim Robison

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2011 17:47    Post subject: Calcite crystal faces - unusual terminations - help?  

I recently acquired a Kalahari manganese field (KMF) calcite, exact location unknown. It appears to exhibit some type of unusual twinning faces, as the attached photographs illustrate. On each face of the normal rhomb is a small four sided "pyramid" perhaps 1-2 mm in thickness at most (at its center) and tapers to zero thickness at the corner of the rhombs. Each triangular face starts at two rhomb corners, and 'terminates' in a much smaller rhomb in the raised center. (size of central face varies from a small elongated face to a larger one, all exactly parallel to the normal rhomb face.

I suspect some type of twinning. The KMF generates some very unusual calcite morphologies, and I'd sure appreciate someone knowledgeable about such things to tell me what I have, and any suppositions about mode of formation.

In addition, if anyone can tie this to a specific mine that would be most helpful.

Thanks,, Jim

Kalahi calcite 3 004.JPG
 Description:
calcite
KMF, South Africa
5 x 5 x 5 cn
calcite
Kalahari Manganese Field, South Africa
approx 5 x 5 x 5 cm for entire specimen
 Viewed:  14505 Time(s)

Kalahi calcite 3 004.JPG

Kalahari calcite 2 001.JPG
 Description:
calcite
KMF, South Africa
5 x 5 x 5 cm
 Viewed:  14551 Time(s)

Kalahari calcite 2 001.JPG

Kalahari calcite 2 003.jpg
 Description:
calcite
KMF, South Africa
5 x 5 x 5 cm
 Viewed:  14521 Time(s)

Kalahari calcite 2 003.jpg

Kalahi calcite 3 003.JPG
 Description:
calcite
KMF., South Africa
5 x 5 x 5 cm
 Viewed:  14537 Time(s)

Kalahi calcite 3 003.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pete Richards
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2011 19:54    Post subject: Re: calcite crystal faces - unusual terminations - help?  

Your description does not indicate twinning - the middle rhomb you refer to is probably the cleavage rhomb {10-11}. It is commonly modified at the top by shallower rhombohedra and scalenohedra, and at the bottom by steeper scalohedra, isolating it in an "island" as you describe, with its edges parallel to the main crystal edges.

However, your images appear to show a flange on the right side - a thick tabular projection that appears to mirror the morphology of the main crystal, but with distortion to be sure, t make it tabular. This suggests a twin on {0001} with the "bottom" half wrapping up to invade the "top" space. This is not uncommon with calcite.

If you can find it, have a look at my article on calcite twinning in Rocks & Minerals 74 (1999) and see the diagram and photo Figure 12. I think this is the same thing I see in your images.

Jim Robison

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2011 21:54    Post subject: Re: calcite crystal faces - unusual terminations - help?  

Pete

Thanks for your quick response. I looked back at the 1999 Rocks and Minerals. Figure 12 may describe in part what I am seeing on the piece. I can see what appears to be one flange on the back side of the main rhomb. The difficulty comes I am seeing in that there must be several thing happening on the rock. There is one big rhomb, which probably has a penetration twin.

But, there is also something happening on each of the rhomb faces on practically every clear calcite crystal on the specimen, even on crystals no more than 3-4 mm in size.

I've roughed together a sketch of a typical, though not to scale rhomb view (angles are undoubtedly off, but you will see what I am looking at). Each rhomb face has four truncated triangles tied to the four corners of a face, and the four come together in the center of the rhomb and terminate on a raised new rhomb parallel to the outside edge. The whole affair slopes up from the sides at a very slight angle, so that the feature is at most 1 or 2 mm high in the center.

KMF calcite.gif
 Description:
sketch of a KMF calcite rhomb illustrating unusual face shape.
 Viewed:  14501 Time(s)

KMF calcite.gif

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2011 08:37    Post subject: Re: calcite crystal faces - unusual terminations - help?  

Jim,

If I understand your sketch correctly, I think it still fits the model I suggested, though the flattening is perhaps an indication of the "flange twin" I referred to previously. Attached is a SHAPE drawing showing a crystal of modified rhombohedral habit, with the "raised rhomb" that you describe. The four faces that surround and raise each rhombohedral face belong to two different scalenohedra, one shallower and one steeper than the rhombohedron.

No twinning was needed to describe and draw this crystal.

But the crucial question is: Does this drawing look like what you are describing?

Calcite.jpg
 Description:
Calcite
(hypothetical)
(as big as you like)
SHAPE drawing of a hypothetical calcite crystal showing how the rhombohedral faces can be "raised" by surrounding modifying faces.
 Viewed:  14391 Time(s)

Calcite.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2011 12:50    Post subject: Re: calcite crystal faces - unusual terminations - help?  

Jim Robison wrote:
... a Kalahari manganese field calcite [...] exact location unknown.
I know such (or at least VERY similar) calcites from Wessels Mine ...

Jim Robison

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2011 13:44    Post subject: Re: calcite crystal faces - unusual terminations - help?  

Pete

Thanks for providing the SHAPE drawing. Yes, you have captured what I am seeing. I just spent about a half hour going over the piece with my scope. Aside from the major difficulty in focusing on a surface which is transparent, I was able to move the piece enough to get some clear face reflections. The dominant face is the one including the flat 'cleavage rhomb' and the two adjoining scalenohedra. As I looked closer, I did find in a few places the other numbered faces, and found several spots where the cleavage rhomb was absent and the scalenohedra came to a pyramidal point. Also found a number of unusual half terminations on some of the corners, and found the same pattern repeated on some of the golden yellow micro-crystal cluster.

In all, a very complicated rock, with I suspect some twinning of a few rhombs going on as well. I think what is needed is for me to bring the piece along to Tucson, and see if we can get together and let you have a hands on look.

I have never seen this pattern before, maybe because I didn't look close enough, or maybe because these were so obvious. Is it common? Thanks for your help to this crystallography challenged collector.

Tobias

Thanks for suggesting Wessels. That was my first guess, looks like I need to put the rock in front of a Kalahari expert to get a confirmation. The piece came out of the Ulrich Bahmann collection via Collector's Edge. I'm going to start there.

Debbie Woolf

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2011 04:27    Post subject: Re: calcite crystal faces - unusual terminations - help?  

If you have the Erongo edition of Mineral Record Uli Bahmann's email address is publicised, why not contact him direct ? I was going to suggest N'Chwaning II as I have seen similar specimens contributed to this mine.

Jim Robison

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2011 19:49    Post subject: Re: Calcite crystal faces - unusual terminations - help?  

I received additional information from Collector's Edge. The calcite is from N'Chwanning II.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: