We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)
11 Apr-22:02:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Apr-14:59:55 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
10 Apr-09:05:31 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-08:08:58 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Apr-07:54:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Carles Millan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 17, 2024 22:52

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Idahorocks

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2010 08:32    Post subject: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

Green Quartz _ Prasiolite _ Vermarine _ Green Amethyst or Greened Amethyst

Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color or does it have other

colors? What other colors are green quartz?

Do all or some have purple in the leek green stone?

I hear that some green quartz is actually heat treated clear quartz, amethyst,

or iolite stone?

Does all of the green quartz have the markings of bands of color like some

amethyst does?

How do I tell the difference between-naturally occurring or manual application

of heat?

In what locations have natural green quartz been found?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elise

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2010 09:08    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

Idahorocks wrote:
Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color or does it have other colors?

That's a lot of questions. There is naturally occurring green quartz, for example from the Montezuma Mine in Brazil; there are also ways of inducing the color (definitely nothing to do with iolite cordierite). Hastily snipped from something longer: Naturally occurring green quartz is also quite rare. One interesting locality as reported by Thomas Paradise in 1982 is to be found in the United States near the border between Nevada and California. Iron-bearing quartz in this area was exposed to low-grade radiation present during volcanic activity, resulting in development of amethyst coloration. A much later exposure to heat from a nearby rhyolite extrusion altered the color of the amethyst from green nearest to the rhyolite, to yellow (citrine), lighter purple and finally unchanged deep purple amethyst at the point farthest from the heat (see Paradise T.R. (1982) The Natural Formation and Occurrence of Green quartz. Gems & Gemology, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 39-42. )." For the rest, see www (dot) nordskip(dot)com(slash)bluequartz(dot)html there is a summation ( too long to put here) of formation of different colors in quartz -blue, green, yellow, purple - either in the ground or by man, along with a long list of references from which you could answer some of your questions. Understanding color in quartz is good mental gymnastics - as to leek green, fresh or cooked?

Best wishes,
Elise

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2010 09:25    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

I am not entirely clear on what you are asking, so I'm not sure if this answers your question.

Most, if not all, green quartz is included with another mineral, thus causing the color.

One of the most common is chlorite, which can form phantoms, where the chorite formed a coating on a crystal face which was later overgrown by more quartz. Sometimes this occurs several times, giving a banded effect.

In the case of prasem, which is strictly a color term not a compositional term, the inclusion is hedenbergite, and the crystals are a leek-green color. The most common localities are Serifos Island in Greece and a Russian locality that escapes me at the moment.

Amethyst and Citrine varieties of quartz are due to Iron in the silicate lattice; the different colors are due to difference in the oxidation state of the Iron. Amethyst has ferric iron, and citrine has ferrous iron. Heating of amethyst will convert tthe ferric to ferrous iron, thus producing citrine. I am not aware of any heat treatment method to produce green quartz.

Hope this is responsive,

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2010 10:47    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

There is just one locality, I believe, in Brazil where some of the amethyst turns green upon heating. Radiation returns the amethyst color. This is well-documented in, among other references, Nassau's "The Physics and Chemistry of Color." According to Frondel "Dana's System of Mineralogy, Vol. III" the locality is Montezuma, Minas Gerais. Amethyst from this locality turns green when heated in air at 510° and then cooled.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2010 10:58    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

John S. White wrote:
There is just one locality, I believe, in Brazil where some of the amethyst turns green upon heating. Radiation returns the amethyst color. This is well-documented in, among other references, Nassau's "The Physics and Chemistry of Color." According to Frondel "Dana's System of Mineralogy, Vol. III" the locality is Montezuma, Minas Gerais. Amethyst from this locality turns green when heated in air at 510° and then cooled.

So, this is a lattice defect mechanism, versus an iron valence effect? Interesting.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2010 11:38    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

From our past discussions here about prase and other terms for green quartz, I'd always been amused by the traditional color descriptor of it as "leek-green", so, when I had the opportunity in our kitchen to observe and record this first-hand some months ago, I took a few pictures. So, here, not a technical contribution but a visual one,
Cheers to all, Pete M.

Leeks #1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  21101 Time(s)

Leeks #1.jpg

Leeks #2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  21087 Time(s)

Leeks #2.jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2010 13:24    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

That appears not to be the case. According to Nassau: Greened amethyst "can be duplicated by synthesis under reducing conditions, when Fe 2+ is incorporated with two protons for charge compensation. Irradiatiion now ejects two electrons, the first to convert the Fe2+ to Fe3+, the second to form the [FeO4]4- amethyst color center identical to that produced from the yellow Fe3+ containing quartz."
"

Jon Mommers

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2010 17:01    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

There is also a locality in the Mount Isa District in Queensland that in the 1960's produced pale amethyst that had altered to a translucent mid green colour. The area was not far from Toms mountain.
Once the surface material had been collected, no more of the green was found but the amethyst continued to be recovered at depth ( a couple of metres). I can only guess the mechanism that provided the heat to cause the colour change; during the summer months temperatures normally pass 40C, it is more likely that at some time the area was burnt was bushfires, possibly on numerous occassions over the centuries.

David Von Bargen

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2010 06:39    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

A good source for info on colored quartz varieties is George Rossman's chapter "Colored varieties of silica minerals" in Silica, a Mineralogical Society of America "Reviews in Mineralogy" vol 29

He lists sites where green quartz has been found including Four Peaks Arizona, Montezuma mine Brazil, Zambia, Poland, Reno Nevada and Thunder Bay.

Elise

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2010 07:42    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

Jon Mommers wrote:
There is also a locality in the Mount Isa District in Queensland that in the 1960's produced pale amethyst that had altered to a translucent mid green colour. The area was not far from Toms mountain. Once the surface material had been collected, no more of the green was found but the amethyst continued to be recovered at depth ( a couple of metres). I can only guess the mechanism that provided the heat to cause the colour change; during the summer months temperatures normally pass 40C, it is more likely that at some time the area was burnt was bushfires, possibly on numerous occassions over the centuries.

Jon - do you have a reference for this which you could point me to? I would like to add the story to the one I posted up above reported by Thomas Paradise which I condensed in my reply with the link (with all the dots and slashes spelled out); it's part of a larger discussion on causation of color that I would like to use with students. It is always more fun to have such anecdotes rather than putting a bunch of diagrams and formulas up on a screen alone. The occurrence in California was so interesting because all the colors were found in the area. Tino Hammid did a series of portraits of rough & cut quartz ranging from the green, yellow, pale purple to the deep purple found in the different locations of that area; when superimposed on the geologic map, it illuminated many concepts all at once.

Back when I was writing that up and corresponding with the original authors and other researchers, we were all wondering what miracle of nature it would have to be to take the green quartz one more step to blue (as can be done in the lab), all agreed that it would be very unlikely in nature to have that many geologic events happen in the right sequence...everyone but me, I am holding out for the "amazing." And while the green is a lovely color (leek?), I have examined some of the blue which is also pleasing (there are some pictures on my page, but are not mine to post here). I am not advocating treating mineral specimens, but if a nice nearly euhedral crystal gets pulled out of the ground in either color, I would love to see at least a picture....and know about the environ in which it formed.

Pete, thank you for the leeks - sauté them up and we'll see how "cooked" compares...in vegetables as well as minerals, cooked and uncooked!!

Best wishes,
Elise

Jon Mommers

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2010 16:58    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

Hi Elise,
I am not aware of any references in literature for this occurence, although I will check with some friends at GIA and see if thet are aware of any.
I think I may still have some of this material in storage somewhere, if I locate it I will post some photo's
Cheers
Jon

Elise

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 18:00    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

Hi,
On page 28 of the latest Lithographie monograph “Amethyst”, there is a portrait showing a cluster of hedenbergite-included, opaque green quartz (referred to as “prasem” in the caption) and glassy amethyst quartz, locality: Mega Horio, island of Serifos, Greece. I was immediately reminded of Pete’s culinary contributions above. What a pretty green and purple bouquet this makes! The author warns that collecting of these is illegal by foreigners, with a possible prison sentence imposed for those with Peter Rabbit inclinations for this particular mineral garden. Neat specimen!
Cheers!
Eliise

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 04:55    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

Hi to everybody!
Grren quartz occurs in many ways: the best-known one is aventurine, whose colour is causeb by inclusions of fuchsite and other minerals; it's common in Brazil; in the Alps a greeen variety of quartz is found, with inclusions of actinolite and other minerals; in the Elba Island (Italy) and in Serifos, Greece, there is a variety of crystallized greeen quartz whose colour is caused by inclusions of hedenbergite and other pyroxene minerals. Prasiolite is found as natural inside the Polish agates, but the cut prasiolite gemstones available in business nowadays are mostly irradiated amethyst and/or smoky quartz. This is valid expecially for big gemstones (over 5 carats). I read most of you mentioned all of the variations of green quartz. I would be curious of seeing the Australian (Queensland) green quartz as well! Is it natural or treated?
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 05:13    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Hi to everybody!
Grren quartz occurs in many ways: the best-known one is aventurine, whose colour is causeb by inclusions of fuchsite and other minerals; it's common in Brazil; in the Alps a greeen variety of quartz is found, with inclusions of actinolite and other minerals; in the Elba Island (Italy) and in Serifos, Greece, there is a variety of crystallized greeen quartz whose colour is caused by inclusions of hedenbergite and other pyroxene minerals. Prasiolite is found as natural inside the Polish agates, but the cut prasiolite gemstones available in business nowadays are mostly irradiated amethyst and/or smoky quartz. This is valid expecially for big gemstones (over 5 carats). I read most of you mentioned all of the variations of green quartz. I would be curious of seeing the Australian (Queensland) green quartz as well! Is it natural or treated?

Yes Ricardo, and what about beautiful Chrysoprase from Zimbabwe? There are also a few places in the Northern Cape (South Africa) with lovely green quartz (colour agent unknown). Is this topic not perhaps related to crystallized quartz only?

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 08:00    Post subject: Re: Is the natural green quartz actually a leek green color  

Hi to everybody, hi Pierre!
Of course if we talk about chrysoprase, there are so many occurrences and mines all over the world, including Australia, Brazil, the whole Southern Africa and Southern Silesia (Poland). In the latter ones I found some beautiful chrysoprase by myself as well! Our friend Jon didn't mention chrysoprase (well known in Australia), but a pale variation of amethyst which is usually treated thus achieving a green colour! Chrysoprase is another variety of quartz (or better chalcedony), well known in the gemmological world. I like it very much, even beacuse of its apple green colour!

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: