We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 19, 2024 12:52

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What is this strange glass like mineral I found?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

thedude1994

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2012 12:35    Post subject: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

ok i found a strange stone/mineral a few years ago and i have no idea what it is.I found it on the pavement in my town.The town is in the foothills of a mountain . At first i thought it was a piece of asphalt or something because it was black and shiny but when i scraped it on a piece of paper it didn't leave any black traces.Then i noticed that under sunlight the edges became semi translucent and weren't black but a yellowish brown.The stone's surface is a bit strange it looks like the edges of broken glass but isn't sharp . It also has some white dots and stripes on it but those might be paint traces or something from the pavement . So what could that be?Is it obsidian
P.S. I found it in Sofia, Bulgaria that's near the Vitosha mountain and the thing is there are no places from which it could have come in Vitosha.

P9265507.JPG
 Description:
Unknown
Bulgaria, Vitosha mountain
 Viewed:  21721 Time(s)

P9265507.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2012 13:28    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

This is most likely some type of slag, a glassy waste product from a mine smelter. The glassier types of slag can look very much like obsidian.

thedude1994

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2012 13:36    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

Pete Modreski wrote:
This is most likely some type of slag, a glassy waste product from a mine smelter. The glassier types of slag can look very much like obsidian.

Any way to test this theory?

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2012 13:53    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

thedude1994 wrote:
Pete Modreski wrote:

Is slag. Pete Modreski is a great expert...

thedude1994

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2012 14:01    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
thedude1994 wrote:
Pete Modreski wrote:

Is slag. Pete Modreski is a great expert...

OK guys thanks for the feedback

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2012 14:08    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

HI to everybody!
But for the yellowish-brown edges disclosed by Theduda, I would agree with you: it looks like obsidian with crystobalite spheres inside (the greyish-white ones we all see in the photo). What kind of rocks are there in the Vitosha Mountains? Volcanic, plutonic, sedimentary or methamorphic? Obsidian is typical for volcanic rocks, it's very common in Sicily for example. If it is artificial glas, I would be so curious by knowing what kind of minerals are the greyish spheres inside!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

thedude1994

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2012 15:36    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
HI to everybody!
But for the yellowish-brown edges disclosed by Theduda, I would agree with you: it looks like obsidian with crystobalite spheres inside (the greyish-white ones we all see in the photo). What kind of rocks are there in the Vitosha Mountains? Volcanic, plutonic, sedimentary or methamorphic? Obsidian is typical for volcanic rocks, it's very common in Sicily for example. If it is artificial glas, I would be so curious by knowing what kind of minerals are the greyish spheres inside!

well the thing is i'm not sure what types of rocks are found in Vitosha here is an article about it in wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitosha i'm about 60% sure that obsidian isn't common it Vitosha but it's possible that it isn't from vitosha for example if it was from a pile of gravel or something on the street
P.S oh yeah i forgot to say that there are no factories used for glass smelting in the area i found it maybe not even it the entire city so i don't know where it could have come form if it is slag

Josele

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2012 17:11    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

Hello everybody,
I think there is a simple way to know if it is natural or man-made: with very few exceptions, obsidian has no bubbles inside. Look at it with a x10 lens, if you find many bubbles then is an anthropic glass.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2012 17:56    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

That's certainly correct, about looking for bubbles.
One can never be absolutely sure about the origin of a piece of rock by just looking at a photo, or sometimes even from looking at the real specimen. But the brownish color, the small white sphere-like inclusions (these can often be seen in slag or glass; remnants of incompletely melted material mixed into it, or sometimes, the beginnings of crystallization of the cooling molten material), and PERHAPS (this is a guess) the overall shape of this piece seems to suggest a curved shape, like the shape of a crucible into which molten liquid may have been poured--all of these suggest, most likely, an artificial slag or glass.
Even more suggestive is simply the location in Bulgaria. Volcanic rocks there are much older, than, say, in Italy, and obsidian is generally found only in very young volcanic rocks. I looked up a bit about the geology of the Vitosha Mountains; there is syenite and other igneous rocks, intruding older andesite lavas; but, the age of these rocks is given as Upper Cretaceous--which means around 65-100 million years old, too old to likely contain fresh-looking obsidian.
There are so many ways that people may have transported and dropped a piece of artificial material, especially in or around any sort of town, and Vitosha is not very far from Sofia, where any sort of material might have been produced. ---Sincerely, Pete

thedude1994

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2012 03:27    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

Josele wrote:
Hello everybody,
I think there is a simple way to know if it is natural or man-made: with very few exceptions, obsidian has no bubbles inside. Look at it with a x10 lens, if you find many bubbles then is an anthropic glass.

Yes, now that I look at it closely I think there really are some bubbles

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2012 13:25    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

HI Josele and hi to everybody!
Oh yes, natural glass (including obsidian) HAS bubbles inside! Think about moldavite (the green one, found in the Czech Republic) or Libyan desert glass: they are both full of gas bubbles inside! Obsidian is not an exception: normally these bubbles are filled by greyish cristobalite micro-crystals, very common in SIcilian volcanic rocks, for example! What Pete says is very interesting about the geological environment: Bulgarian volcanic rocks are too old for containing obsidian. I just have to repeat what I always say: I just saw one or two photos and I just see the appearance of a specimen in the photos.
My suggestion is: take a loupe 10X or a small microscope and see whether the bubbles are full or empty! If full, it's probably obsidian, if empty, it's probably slag.

Josele wrote:
Hello everybody,

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Josele

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2012 16:08    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

Thedude1994, you must belive Pete and Riccardo, really more experienced than me.
What I meant was that the air bubbles in obsidian are usually very small and barely visible to the naked eye or with a x10 lens, while in a glass slag are usually larger and can be seen easily. This is not a definitive identification system but it works in most cases to recognize a slag.

Chris Foltz

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2012 08:55    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

I have tri-flow obsidian from Washington State with bubbles in it...

supertxango

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 14:27    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

Hi all !

Probably obsidian has bubbles, but I think that the specimen shown by thedude is slag. I attach a very similar slag specimen collected two weeks ago at a Spanish famous minning area, La Union in Murcia.

Thanks and regards

Photo1.jpg
 Description:
Slag
La Union, Murcia, Spain
8x6 cm.
 Viewed:  20611 Time(s)

Photo1.jpg

thedude1994

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 14:52    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

supertxango wrote:
Hi all !

Probably obsidian has bubbles, but I think that the specimen shown by thedude is slag. I attach a very similar slag specimen collected two weeks ago at a Spanish famous minning area, La Union in Murcia.

Thanks and regards

yeah man it looks similar but mine doesn't have those craters on the surface and the edges aren't so sharp

supertxango

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 17:54    Post subject: Re: What is this strange glass like mineral I found?  

Hi, in my specimen craters or bubbles are bigger, but I have seen similar slags with smaller bubbles or in some cases difficult to see. Also probably your specimen edges will be less sharp due to erosion. Perhaps if you hit and crash your specimen (not please :-) you will get similar sharpen edges.

Regards.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: