We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 02:15

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The amazing Mineral Museum of the University of Delaware

Index -> University of Delaware Museum of Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 12:20    Post subject: The amazing Mineral Museum of the University of Delaware  

This summer, with John White, I had the chance to visit the excellent mineral museum at the University of Delaware. Since then I wanted to share that experience with FMFers and now that finally I have some time I'm ready to do it.

The mineral museum of the University of Delaware is a small museum, almost a "miniature Museum" ;-) but surprisingly outstanding due to the good work of its curators; currently Dr. Sharon Fitzgerald and formerly Dr. Peter Leavens, who was in charge of the museum for 25 years. Dr. Sharon has managed to create an extraordinarily pleasant mineral museum that since its reopening in 2009 has established a well-deserved reputation. The presentation is exceptionally good, one of the best I've ever seen in any museum. The collection, although not represented by a very large number of specimens, is coherent and extremely aesthetic. Also it is fortunate to have among many “killer” specimens one "killer" that particularly appeals to me, a Willemite from Franklin (NJ), which alone justifies a visit to this Museum.

As there are already good reports about the Museum, my intention with this post is just to open a doorway to those other reports, as well as post some pictures of the museum by John White, Dr. Sharon Fitzgerald and Jake Slagle to complete this note. I hope that in reading these reports, the photos that accompany them, and the few photos I post here will serve to give a more complete picture of this amazing museum, located in a place where few would expect such quality. If anyone intends to visit the museum soon, from September 2012 through May 2013 the museum is presenting an exhibition of Rhodochrosites from mines in Colorado, including the famous Sweet Home mine in Alma, the Sunnyside mine, the Moose mine and many others, all from the private collection of Dave Bunk. To learn more about this temporary exhibition click here

The links to learn more about this museum, my suggestions are: the two threads published by Jake Slagle in his mineral blog: University of Delaware Mineralogical Museum: A Private Visit and Delaware Mineralogical Museum Reopens and Delaware Mineralogical Museum Reopen, the (as always) well-photographed and complete thread published by Gail Spann: University of Delaware Museum of Minerals, Gail and Jim Spann visit, and this one from the always didactic John White The Mineralogical Museum at the University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware, USA.
To complete the list you can also visit the note published by Jessica Simonoff in Mindat, and for general information about the museum, here and here you have the official information provided by the University of Delaware.

BTW it would be very nice if Jake, Gail, John, Dr. Sharon, Jessica, or someone else has some more images of the museum available and wants to post them here in order to complete this thread. So, please add photos! ;-)

Many thanks to John White and Dr. Sharon Fitzgerald for the revision of the text and for the details

University of Delaware Mineral Museum 2.jpg
 Description:
A giant Danburite from Charcas, Mexico, about 20 cm. tall, slightly pinkish, perfect and awesome!

Photo: John White
 Viewed:  34995 Time(s)

University of Delaware Mineral Museum 2.jpg

University of Delaware Mineral Museum 3.jpg
 Description:
And a recent addition, one of the now famous Azurites from the Milpillas Mine, Mexico. The size is about 15 cm long and the shape is a wonder.

Photo: University of Delaware
 Viewed:  35051 Time(s)

University of Delaware Mineral Museum 3.jpg

University of Delaware Mineral Museum 4.jpg
 Description:
And this is a fine Dolomite from the Asturreta Quarry, Eugui, Navarra, Spain. Its pedigree is interesting, it came from Victor Yount, a US dealer who lived in Spain for many years and therefore he got some of the finest Spanish specimens in the seventies and eighties. This one came originally from an engineer at the Eugui Quarry named Córdoba.

Photo: Jake Slagle
 Viewed:  35033 Time(s)

University of Delaware Mineral Museum 4.jpg

University of Delaware Mineral Museum 5.jpg
 Description:
Description: And what is in my opinion the King of the whole museum, an outstanding Willemite, about 4 cm tall, gemmy, floater, sharp and an unbelievable size for the locality: Franklin!
According to Sharon it is a Kunz piece, although she thinks it was bought after Irenée DuPont bought the original collection in 1919, so she would guess that occurred about 1924-26. Palache talks about a find of crystals from there early on and, in my opinion, this is one of the best Willemites from Franklin existing. Congratulations!

Photo: Dr. Sharon Fitzgerald
 Viewed:  34970 Time(s)

University of Delaware Mineral Museum 5.jpg

University of Delaware Mineral Museum 1.jpg
 Description:
And finally, here you have a shot of poor Sharon Fitzgerald trying to follow my enthusiastic comments about some locality details... ;-)

Photo: John White
 Viewed:  35040 Time(s)

University of Delaware Mineral Museum 1.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 15:19    Post subject: Re: The amazing Mineral Museum of the University of Delaware  

OFL (our fearless leader) visiting the mineral museum at the University of Delaware (Newark) this summer with me, in short pants. Quelle bêtise!

P1010019 - Copy.JPG
 Description:
Jordi Fabre in shorts!
 Viewed:  34968 Time(s)

P1010019 - Copy.JPG

jakslagle

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2012 13:32    Post subject: Re: The amazing Mineral Museum of the University of Delaware  

I was asked to foward some images shot on visits to the Mineral Museum at the University of Delaware. Many were shot through glass rather hurriedly,and none were measured. Rather than try to guess the dimensions relative to labels and position, I'll post some images and leave it to the editors as to which if any are appropriate to show

darkaquamarine.jpg
 Description:
Aquamarine
Minas Gerais, Brazil
If I were to guess, it would be 7cm. x 3 cm., but this could be way off
 Viewed:  34635 Time(s)

darkaquamarine.jpg

jakslagle

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2012 17:33    Post subject: Re: The amazing Mineral Museum of the University of Delaware  

I attempted to post the images to follow yesterday, but could have ultimately failed to submit them . Or it's possible they were rejected because of my guesses regarding the dimensions. I shot them rather hurriedly through glass. If the problem was the former, here's another try.

gypsumcanada.jpg
 Description:
Gypsum
Red River Floodway, Winnepeg, Manitoba, Canada
7 cm. x 5 cm. (guess)
 Viewed:  34516 Time(s)

gypsumcanada.jpg

brucite copy.jpg
 Description:
Brucite
Woods Chrome Mine, Lancaster Co., PA
6 cm. x 5 cm.
 Viewed:  34495 Time(s)

brucite copy.jpg

torbernitedel.jpg
 Description:
Torbernite
Musonoi Mine, Kantanga, Democratic Republic of Congo
8 inches x 6 inches (guess)
 Viewed:  34627 Time(s)

torbernitedel.jpg

erythrite.jpg
 Description:
Erythrite
Bou Azzer, Morocco
7 cm. x 7 cm. (guess)
 Viewed:  34476 Time(s)

erythrite.jpg

anhydritedelcopy.jpg
 Description:
Anhydrite
Mina Siglo XX, Naica, Chihuahua, Mexico
8 inches x 6 inches (guess)
 Viewed:  34574 Time(s)

anhydritedelcopy.jpg

spestourmalinedel.jpg
 Description:
Schorl (Tourmaline Group) Spessartine (Garnet Family)
Appleton, Cecil County, Maryland
Schorl 2.5 " high, Spessartine 1"
One of the greatest specimens of anything I've seen out of Maryland.
 Viewed:  34512 Time(s)

spestourmalinedel.jpg

Index -> University of Delaware Museum of Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: