We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 04:32

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tracy's favorite specimens
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Index -> Women's Private Collections

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carles Curto

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2008 10:07    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens (an amateur's adventures)  

I read about the foitite acicular or fibrous terminations from Minas Gerais. I also remember a picture in B&W, it could be from Mineralogical Record old issues, but I'm not shure.

By other, ExtraLapis English num, 3 (Tourmaline) cites Foitite iin Cruzeiro mine, Minas Gerais.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2008 14:24    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens (an amateur's adventures)  

It is Governador. It is Frank Melanson. Who's to say that foitte cannot occur in Brazil? It is possible, I suppose, that you could get foitite on schorl, but it is more likely that the entire crystal is more or less the same composition, very thin fragments of the black base would probably also transmit light and appear purple, just like the thin needles on the termination. It is also possible that the thin needles are the product of etching and not primary growth.

Luiz Menezes would be the person to ask about the species and the locality.

MaryFender

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2008 15:16    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens (an amateur's adventures)  

Sary fo de misspel. Just attended a lecture by Barb Dutrow and what I took away was where there is one tourmaline there are probably others. Just depends on the sampling. So I agree there is no reason not to think there is foitite in Brazil.

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2008 11:02    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens (an amateur's adventures)  

Hello Tracy.
About your Fluorite from Teller,I think the hole came from lack of Amazonite.
I have one specimen,and there is amazonite crystals stuck on the fluorite,and the contact between amazonite and fluorite shows like the fluorite has grown on the amazonite,and there are places where amazonite has dissapeard.
The fluorite has a greenish-purple color,and a stange etched surface,not as yours.
It make me think about some specimens from Spain.

fluorite et amazonite.JPG
 Description:
other view,difficult to see,but I think there was a bigger amazonite crystal,that has dissapeard,there is the negative shape on the fluorite.
 Viewed:  38599 Time(s)

fluorite et amazonite.JPG

Fluorite sur amazonite colorado.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite and Amazonite
4cm
Teller county(mroe precise location,do you have it?)
Colorado
USA
 Viewed:  38820 Time(s)

Fluorite sur amazonite colorado.JPG

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2008 11:04    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens (an amateur's adventures)  

on the last view it seems to be sawn(difficult to see on a photo!)but it is complete,like it had grown on a bigger amazonite crystal,that makes me think of what you described of your specimen.

marvsT/Nminerals

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2008 01:08    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens (an amateur's adventures)  

I saw an opaque blue tourmaline group mineral at a small gem and mineral show at Freeport, Illinois several weeks ago labeled as "schorl" from Brazil, no other locality information given. The dealer had several other pieces that were totally black. All were of the same short, chunky habit. A year and a half ago when this dealer was at the gem and mineral show at Monroe, Wisconsin he had the same material with the addition of two other blue schorls which I purchased. Whether or not the pieces are schorl or foitite is a good question. Marv

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2008 02:03    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens (an amateur's adventures)  

It is quite common for tourmaline crystals to be chemically zoned, with two or even three species being present in a single crystal, and impossible to verify without some rather complex and expensive analytical equipment, which even professional mineralogists don't always have access to. (Ordinary microprobes are often insufficient for determining the species, as they don't "see" Li, H or B, and can't distinguish Fe(II) from Fe(III).)

For these reasons I think collectors should learn to be happy just labelling their crystals "Tourmaline", and forget about nitpicking about whether it's a schorl or dravite or foitite or a very dark elbaite. (Isn't "Tourmaline" a more beautiful-sounding name than "Schorl" or "Foitite" anyway?)

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2008 15:28    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Personally, I like the sound of "schorl" - still I will concede that "tourmaline" rolls off the tongue better.

Back to Patrice's comments: thanks for the input. Upon revisiting the start of my thread I noticed that I never posted any photos of the back of the curved fluorite specimen, so here are a couple showing the size and shape of the depression (second photo is blurry but gives a good idea). It's quite possible that a large crystal (amazonite or even quartz) would have shaped the specimen. I also note that, under window lighting, the fluorites look more blue-purple than green-purple (regrettably I have no locality information beyond what I had posted: Crystal Peak, Teller County, Colorado).

More photos of favorites to follow soon, I have a new group almost ready to go....

- Tracy

curved fl back.jpg
 Description:
Back of the fluorite specimen showing the depression (and all the labels that were put there). The "spiky" shapes are colorless, could be small quartz crystals maybe?
 Viewed:  38215 Time(s)

curved fl back.jpg

curved fl groove.jpg
 Description:
Specimen on is side so that the "depression" is visible
 Viewed:  38199 Time(s)

curved fl groove.jpg

Linda St-Cyr

PostPosted: Dec 25, 2008 15:42    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Tracy, your skeletal Chinese calcite haunts me! It is so wonderfully bizarre, I have flashbacks to it when I least expect it. So evidently it is now a permanent resident of the collection in my head. Thank you for adding to my mind's collection!

Linda

Tracy

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 20:33    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

I finally have time to do this posting, I've wanted to for quite some time!

Russ Rizzo (Cal Neva Minerals), who helped me start my thread by photographing my "mystery" fluorapophyllite for me, did me another favor and shared his photos of some fascinating and fun specimens that I've acquired from him. I tried to photograph them on my own, but the images were terrible - so thanks Russ for helping me out!

Here they are...

- Tracy

Pyrite nodule.jpg
 Description:
Veins of pyrite in nodule of apatite var. phosphorite, from Clay Pits, Friedland, Neubrandenburg, Germany. 8.7 x 7.7 x 3.5 cm. The pyrite is iridescent and forms wonderful patterns in the nodule.
 Viewed:  38372 Time(s)

Pyrite nodule.jpg

SEDEX2.jpg
 Description:
SEDEX (SEDimentary EXhalative) pyrite nodule from Picadilly Beach, Newfoundland, Canada. 5 x 4 x 3 cm. A treasure formed from the hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor. The pyrite is crystallized at one end and dome-shaped at the other.
 Viewed:  38194 Time(s)

SEDEX2.jpg

SEDEX1.jpg
 Description:
SEDEX pyrite nodule , rear view.
 Viewed:  38203 Time(s)

SEDEX1.jpg

Apo black.jpg
 Description:
Black and grey apophyllite (2 generations) from Murdockville, Quebec, Canada. 13 x 12 x 6 cm. Has a very satiny luster and "soft texture" not evident from the photo. Individual crystals to about 1.5 cm and are on a translcent, pale yellow calcite matrix.
 Viewed:  38333 Time(s)

Apo black.jpg

Musc_rose.jpg
 Description:
Red (rose) muscovite from North Bay, Nipissing District, Ontario, Canada. 8 x 5.5 x 3 cm. Wonderful color!
 Viewed:  38338 Time(s)

Musc_rose.jpg

Tracy

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2009 22:01    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

I thought I'd share my newest treasures acquired in Tucson - all oddities of a sort...

Photo #1: Amethyst "arch" from Artigas, Uruguay; 8.3 x 7.5 x 6.5 cm. I like the formation.

Photos #2 and #3: dyscrasite on arsenic from Shaft 21, Pribram, Czech Republic. 6.5 x 4 x 3.5 cm. The dyscrasite is etched from the arsenice matrix and the crystals have a really interesting spiky-dendritic habit. I was lucky to get 2 good shots of it so I'm posting them both. Who says arsenic minerals are all ugly? :-)

Photo #4: I have a lot of trouble taking good photos of quartz. This is a curved (bent?) faden quartz with little bits of smectite and monmorillonite from Tui, Wana, Waziristan, F.A.T.A., Pakistan. 8 x 6.5 x 2.5 cm. The faden must have gone through a rough growth period - it reminds me a bit of the "tectonically violated" quartz which was in the Quartz Oddities display. Sadly it's hard to see all the detail in this photo.

Arch2.jpg
 Description:
Amethyst arch
 Viewed:  38099 Time(s)

Arch2.jpg

dyscr3.jpg
 Description:
dyscrasite on arsenic, first view
 Viewed:  37857 Time(s)

dyscr3.jpg

dyscr4.jpg
 Description:
dyscrasite on arsenic, second view
 Viewed:  37728 Time(s)

dyscr4.jpg

Faden1.jpg
 Description:
Curved faden quartz with smectite and montmarillonite
 Viewed:  37830 Time(s)

Faden1.jpg

Tracy

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2009 22:26    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

photos #5, #6 and #7: the prize, a fantastic pair of golden calcite crystals(acquired from Jordi) from Chanhua, Zhejiang, China (2003). 17 x 5 x 1.5 cm. The main crystal, which is almost 15 cm long, loooks like a faden but actually has a hollow tube running through it (I think the smaller crystal has a tube running through it too). Sue photographed it at different angles to highlight the growth striations which can be seen running the length of the crystal and showing how it formed. At the base, where the crystals join, there are hexagonal, plate-like whitish-gray calcite crystals (a different habit). Visually stunning and fascinating, I've already gotten lots of compliments on it!

Photos #8 and #9: not from Tucson but from the Copper Queen Mine in Bisbee comes this curious find - read the label! 11 x 6 x 4 cm. The original Philadelphia Academy label didn't accompany it, but on the back side you can see the "tattoo" label which is characteristic of specimens from there. I can't say for certain that it came from the Academy collection, and it's not very beautiful, but for only $4 who could say no? :-)

That's all, hope you like them...

Calcite tube2.jpg
 Description:
golden calcite, first view
 Viewed:  37740 Time(s)

Calcite tube2.jpg

Calcite tube3.jpg
 Description:
Golden calcite, second view
 Viewed:  37716 Time(s)

Calcite tube3.jpg

calcite tube4.jpg
 Description:
Golden calcite, third view
 Viewed:  37708 Time(s)

calcite tube4.jpg

Philcalc1.jpg
 Description:
Bisbee calcite, front view
 Viewed:  37786 Time(s)

Philcalc1.jpg

Philcalc2.jpg
 Description:
Bisbee calcite, rear view showing "tattoo" label
 Viewed:  37707 Time(s)

Philcalc2.jpg

Tracy

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2009 22:31    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

ps:...well, those aren't ALL the neat pieces I got in Tucson, just the most photogenic... :-)

Linda St-Cyr

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2009 14:02    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Tracy, you are well on your way to filling a case of stunning Oddities should Tucson ever decide to revisit that topic. Or maybe a local show will?

Tracy

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2009 16:39    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

I'm testing out my new camera, it has a macro lens! I used to own an SLR but have lost the skills needed to operate it, so I have to start all over...I love how close I can get to the specimens now.

We are renovating the bathroom but I took time to get a little practice with my camera. Here are a couple of photos of a cute little scepter cluster which I recently got from eBay. The scepter on the right is only formed on one side due to contact with the larger scepter next to it. Sorry for the terrrible background, I don't have Photoshop...and I know my lighting etc still needs work (I did my test with natural sunlight - I was trying to see how much detail I could capture).

Will continue to post others as time permits. I've gotten some neat pieces lately.

- Tracy

mqzs1.jpg
 Description:
Quartz var amethyst (very faint)scepters with hematite inclusions, Mahaiza, Madagascar. 3.5 x 3.5 x 1.7 cm
 Viewed:  36142 Time(s)

mqzs1.jpg

Debbie Woolf

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 07:07    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Great photo Tracy :0) I've been looking at getting a camera myself what make is your new one?

Debbie

Tracy

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 08:59    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Thanks Debbie!

I got a Canon Powershot SX10 IS with 20X optical zoom. Canon has since moved on to the next generation SX20 IS which has more media-related "bells and whistles" (better for shooting movies and the like) but the SX10 is all I need. A nice feature on both models is the viewscreen which pivots in all different directions so I can lay the camera flat on a table and look at the viewscreen without hunching over...

I believe production of the SX10 has ceased, but both the SX10 and SX20 appear to be rather popular. Hope this helps.

- Tracy

- I forgot to mention: on th specimen, the main scepter head appears to be damaged where it connects to the "stem," but I think it's just overgrowth.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 09:46    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Tracy,

Your last photo taken with the new camera is better than the average you've posted so far. But you should still practice a lot more, since mastering a camera is not done in one day. Try also with light sources other than natural light. Take more than ten shots of each specimen, in different positions, from different angles, then choose the best ones and retouch them a bit with PaintShop Pro (cheaper) or PhotoShop (much more expensive). They have several fancy and very simple functions, as "One Step Photo Fix", that will make your life easier.

Good luck!

Tracy

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 10:32    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Hi Carles -

Thanks for the words of encouragement. No question I need more practice! The biggest difficulty is finding space in my cluttered house to set up a staging area. So I make do with what I have. The next string of photos will be tests of lighting, background, angle, and the camera too ...please continue to send more input.

I will look into PaintShop or PhotoShop too. One day I hope to be able to take pictures as excellent as yours.

- Tracy

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 10:51    Post subject: Re: Tracy's favorite specimens  

Tracy,
As a lover of grey minerals in general, and wierd ones in particular, I have to congratulate you on the grey/black apophyllite! I never saw one of those before. Any idea on the cause of the dark color?
- Alfredo

Index -> Women's Private Collections   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 3 of 4
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: