We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 12:25

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities

View previous topic :: View next topic  

vic rzonca

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2012 08:53    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Thanks for the comments Pierre. Your collecting adventures are exciting and filled with a variety of possibilities. It looks like you have much ground to cover, good luck and keep the posts coming.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elise

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2012 16:58    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

vic rzonca wrote:
For a while now, off and on, we've found some rather odd floater quartz crystals at the site. This one qualifies as the oddest. After showing it to John White, I thought I'd have a good image taken to share with the forum. These fine shot's were taken by Jeff Scovil, at the East Coast show, far better than anything I could take, and much more informative than trying to explain an inferior photo. I would be interested in what you folks think might be the process that produced this form. Much of the quartz we find is associated with anthraxolite, a compact hydrocarbon that was present with the silicified fluids that grew the quartz. Many of the crystals found are the classic Herkimer form, no point of attachment, but this one is really something else. It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever seen another crystal of any species with a similar form. We have found a few of these. This, the best so far. I look forward to your input, and thanks for viewing.

Hi Vic!

I'm so happy to see that you posted the portraits of this specimen - I had seen this when Jeff was imaging it -- what a fascinating crystal!

In Frondel under growth hillocks and spiral dislocations, (my hasty summary of it here) it describes surface features which are closely related to vicinal growth surfaces and which are found on both natural and synthetic quartz crystals. They can be several cm and equant or oval to elongate, can be small or overlapping or a single large hillock can occupy most or all of a face. Relatively flat on the r and more numerous, overlapping and steeper on {0001}. Under magnification (?x) the hillocks may show spiral terraces.

I am thinking of the pebbley surface of synthetic quartz bars - I've seen them quite large (I believe that is the c face or {0001} ) . Anyway, this rushed synopsis is all that comes to mind. I started thinking about it again today trying to figure out raised circular patches overlapping several faces on a topaz crystal I'm trying to understand. Some questions I have about your quartz include whether those very flat circular glassy areas on the domes are crystal faces and what are the optical properties of the specimen? It would be fun to study your quartz enigma!

Cheers!
Elise

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2012 09:45    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Elise, thanks for keeping it simple. Being a rank amateur in these matters I'll try to keep up. The flats you mention are, I think, indeed crystal faces and goniometric measurements would confirm them to be consistent with the quartz ideal. But I haven't done the work. I see the similarity to the lab grown quartz, but those growth features are concave in the specimen in 1152 and 1153, where as the collected natural piece is convex and quite regular. As to the optical properties, I wouldn't know where to begin. It seems as though the silica was pressed into a smooth mold and left to grow to an incomplete sphere leaving the uncontacted portions to form the faces. The involvement with the anthaxolite globs, now solidified, may have something to do with this molding process. But, again this is from the point of view of a carpenter, not a scholar. I would consider lending it out for further investigation. Hand delivered, I'd hate to get it lost in the mail. Thanks for the interest Elise, see you in Tucson?

IMG_1153.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  25279 Time(s)

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  25273 Time(s)

IMG_1152.JPG

Elise

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2012 11:36    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

vic rzonca wrote:
The flats you mention are, I think, indeed crystal faces and goniometric measurements would confirm them to be consistent with the quartz ideal.

Hi Vic!

Yes, it would be fun to try to figure it out on the goniometer. For those not familiar with the instrument or who would like to see a classic model, we had a thread here from a project I am involved with: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1601.

This instrument is far too heavy for me to even pick up (ie: no house call possible), but if you find yourself in the area of Cornell, it would be fun to take a look at the crystal together. Also, we have often thought the goniometer might be a fun demo/exhibit to have at the Rochester Mineral Symposium someday - so perhaps that would be where we could all put our heads together on this oddity !

One other idea brought up has been the dolostone - does the crystallography of the dolostone affect the growth of the quartz? There are other occurrences of spheroid crystals found in that type of environment (I don't have all the facts in front of me, but maybe someone else can explain or I can add more later).

vic rzonca wrote:
...Being a rank amateur in these matters I'll try to keep up...But, again this is from the point of view of a carpenter, not a scholar.

I'm not a mineralogist or crystallographer; this is just a point-of-view from another carpenter (amateur, but I built my house) ;-) !
Cheers!
Elise

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2012 09:17    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

A couple more from the dolostone. Some of the largest yet. We must wait for spring.

IMG_0619.JPG
 Description:
18 cm.
 Viewed:  25020 Time(s)

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG
 Description:
18 cm., with calcite and dolostone, not particularly nice, but large.
 Viewed:  25005 Time(s)

IMG_1154.JPG

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2012 09:51    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

A few more smaller ones from the site.

IMG_1161.JPG
 Description:
4 cm. smokey
 Viewed:  25000 Time(s)

IMG_1161.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG
 Description:
4 cm. smokey
 Viewed:  25006 Time(s)

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG
 Description:
3.5 cm. clear floater.
 Viewed:  25001 Time(s)

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG
 Description:
10 cm. wide field of view.
 Viewed:  24987 Time(s)

IMG_1158.JPG

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2013 21:49    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

What follows is a part inventory of our endeavors from last season on the Little Falls dolostone. This year, so far, has been kind of a wash out. Days of rain or dodging thunder storms makes for soggy collecting. Not even a mucked up drift to hide in.

IMG_1343.JPG
 Description:
Quartz
Fonda, Mohawk County, New York, USA
5 cm.
 Viewed:  24093 Time(s)

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG
 Description:
Quartz scepter
7 cm.
Our lab in the background.
 Viewed:  24113 Time(s)

IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG
 Description:
Large quartz in dolostone matrix
Compound crystal 21 cm.
 Viewed:  24098 Time(s)

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG
 Description:
Quartz
8 cm, top to bottom
Another compound crystal
 Viewed:  24086 Time(s)

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG
 Description:
Quartz
5 cm.
Sick of looking at quartz yet?
 Viewed:  24115 Time(s)

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG
 Description:
Quartz
Center crysal is @ 10 cm.
A pile of quartz
 Viewed:  24142 Time(s)

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG
 Description:
Quartz
Crystal is 12 cm.
We are lucky to have a bit of ground at the site that gives up quartz on matrix.
 Viewed:  24108 Time(s)

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG
 Description:
Quartz
13 cm. Top to bottom.
More quartz on dolostone.
 Viewed:  24094 Time(s)

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG
 Description:
Quartz
Smokey and clear cluster to 13 cm. wide.
 Viewed:  24139 Time(s)

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG
 Description:
Quartz
6 cm.
A smokey and a cluttered partner.
 Viewed:  24087 Time(s)

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG
 Description:
Quartz
Pocket contents 1 cm. to 5 cm. with anthraxolite inclutions.
 Viewed:  24108 Time(s)

IMG_1377.JPG

Mike Wood

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2013 08:57    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Nice quartzes Vic; I for one don't get sick of looking at them ! Your 'lab' looks interesting and very well stocked !!
How do you reckon that some specimens show smoky and clear crystals adjacent ?
Thanks for sharing. Cheers, Mike

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2013 09:25    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Intrepid field collectors Laura Delano (not just a pretty face, standing center) and Don Davis (right), you might recognize them from their work at various shows around the country.

IMG_0763.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  24048 Time(s)

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG
 Description:
At school. Pay attention Don, if you want to find the big ones.
 Viewed:  24023 Time(s)

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG
 Description:
Don Davis, a long time member of the Connecticut Valley Mineral Club. Don is eighty seven years old, and he can kick the crap out of me and five other men or boys when it comes to moving rock. He puts us to shame, the old goat.
 Viewed:  24012 Time(s)

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0769.jpg
 Description:
The object of his attention. He finds while we jawbone.
 Viewed:  23973 Time(s)

IMG_0769.jpg

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2013 09:52    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Thanks Mike. I'm a better field collector than field geologist, but if you believe that the smokiness comes from included anthraxolite, then the dark one was closer to the atomization of the anthraxolite (?). If the smokiness is caused by background radiation, perhaps the radiation was highly directional, and the clearer one was in the shadow (?).
Just the thoughts of a fevered carpenters brain.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2013 11:48    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Hi Vic. I had a chuckle at the 'tired of quartz' bit. We just came back from a wonderful quartz collecting trip! I am sorry that your trip was a wash-out. Thanks for the fascinating photos. Are those shelves in the background your's?

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2013 12:24    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

I'm a partner to it. There really is no way to stop aggressive field collectors, as you well know, being likewise afflicted. A good collecting chum makes the work go easier. Two people can do the work of three, just a field observation. So lets see your rewards from the quartz fields of South Africa. Wait, let me guess, dry and sunny. Thanks Pierre.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2013 13:46    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

vic rzonca wrote:
I'm a partner to it. There really is no way to stop aggressive field collectors, as you well know, being likewise afflicted. A good collecting chum makes the work go easier. Two people can do the work of three, just a field observation. So lets see your rewards from the quartz fields of South Africa. Wait, let me guess, dry and sunny. Thanks Pierre.

Yes, lovely weather; a cold wind with a bit of snow still on the mountains. We found some nice crystals and had a lot of fun. Perhaps you should come and collect with us when it is so wet on your side. Regards.

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 12:47    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Quartz crystal. 14 cm.

IMG_0792.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23713 Time(s)

IMG_0792.JPG

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2013 13:00    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

One of the more interesting finds this fall. Half of a compound crystal after a light cleaning.

IMG_1427.JPG
 Description:
Quartz
Little Falls dolostone, Fonda, Mohawk township, Montgomery Co., New York, USA.
14 x 14 cm.
 Viewed:  23084 Time(s)

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG
 Description:
Same as above, slight rotation to the right.
 Viewed:  23090 Time(s)

IMG_1425.JPG

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Nov 23, 2013 13:23    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Rock breaking bad.
Or maybe just ok.

8.jpg
 Description:
Not the last day on the bench, but close. Was that a snow flake Don?
 Viewed:  22469 Time(s)

8.jpg

7.jpg
 Description:
I swear you couldn't pay me to do this. Must be an obsession.
 Viewed:  22478 Time(s)

7.jpg

6.jpg
 Description:
A 6-7 cm. pocket. To tight to extract whole, as with most groupings found in the dolostone, it will be reassembled. It can be done seamlessly.
 Viewed:  22489 Time(s)

6.jpg

5.jpg
 Description:
It's ready to be trimmed.
 Viewed:  22463 Time(s)

5.jpg

2.jpg
 Description:
Some quartz grubbed out of the top few inches of not yet frozen top soil.
 Viewed:  22460 Time(s)

2.jpg

1.jpg
 Description:
The contents of a small pocket with up to cm. size quartz and anthraxolite bits disgorged onto the bench.
 Viewed:  22484 Time(s)

1.jpg

Mike Wood

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2013 07:27    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Nice to see you back Vic; looks like a nice steady project to pursue, without too many hazards.. ever see any snakes around?

Regards, Mike

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2013 14:50    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Only anecdotal serpent sightings, Mike, nothing personal. I think the track-hoe scares them off. The biggest hazard is bi-pedal and sapien.

IMG_1769.JPG
 Description:
We do raise hell with the rodent population. Hickory nuts 2 cm.
 Viewed:  22338 Time(s)

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG
 Description:
Nut clearing.
 Viewed:  22358 Time(s)

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG
 Description:
Quartz 12 cm. - and somewhere a pissed rodent.
 Viewed:  22354 Time(s)

IMG_1772.JPG

Mike Wood

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2013 16:30    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

"The biggest hazard is bi-pedal and sapien."

You're not wrong there Vic, I always keep an eyeout for bipedal animals when I'm out in the mountains.
Looking forward to seeing the cleaned harvest from your latest diggings, looks like fun to me; I like breaking rock too, though it's normally basalt rather than silicified dolomite.

Best regards,

Mike

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2013 02:53    Post subject: Re: Collecting quartz on the Little Falls dolostone  

Hi Vic. Thank you for your report. Some of those crystals are huge and remind me of 'window' quartz from Brandberg. I agree, doing this for a salary would not be worth it (although, sometimes it could be very profitable). The fun though, is hugely rewarding!!!

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 7
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

Jump to: