We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 10:16

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins

Index -> Mineralogical Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2016 10:26    Post subject: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

I just ordered this book through Amazon.
Is anyone familiar with it? What level of expertise does it expect?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jamison Brizendine

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2016 09:48    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

I'm familiar with the book, as it was my required textbook when I attended university. I think it is fairly good overview on the subject of mineralogy. At the end of each chapter there are "review" questions which I would recommend trying to solve on your own. The third edition isn't that much different from the second.

The only thing I don't like about the textbook is the lack of color pictures and the color pictures they do provide are very grainy and low quality.

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2016 14:34    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Jamison Brizendine wrote:
I'm familiar with the book, as it was my required textbook when I attended university. I think it is fairly good overview on the subject of mineralogy. At the end of each chapter there are "review" questions which I would recommend trying to solve on your own. The third edition isn't that much different from the second.

The only thing I don't like about the textbook is the lack of color pictures and the color pictures they do provide are very grainy and low quality.

Well, I have two BSs, so I should be able to work through it.
I remember from my library book reading that mineralogy uses some color plates or graphs, I will see if that is missing here. Anyway, it was only about $20 or so, so it was a good bargain.

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2016 10:14    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Arrived last night, just got it.
In the upper left corner of the cover is a red note
Circulation of this edition outside the Indian subcontinent is UNAUTHORIZED
Gee, did I do something wrong ordering this????

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2016 12:07    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

No, you did nothing wrong - the Indian companies that are doing the 'printing on demand' of textbooks and other older scientific books are. I recently ordered a 'reprint' of The Geology of Ore Deposits by Guilbert and Park, and it had the same exact working on the copyright page. They knew they were sending it OUT of India and Nepal [the two places listed as permissible] and it was sold by Abe's books in the UK to me here in the EU. It was a lot cheaper than buying copies of the original book, but the paper quality was poor, the printing poor - so that the type is light and hard to read - the B&W photos so poor as to be almost useless for some of them. So, your experience is not unique. I also purchased one other print on demand from India at the same time. Never again.....the money saved to me is not worth the bad printing. The copyright issue is their problem, IMO - one buys them feeling the copyright has expired and/or they have permission to print on demand and ship anywhere - though this is not so. It may be for some books printed in India, but not for Geology of Ore Deposits.

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2016 10:30    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Finished the first chapter.
On the back they list new to this edition:
X-ray mineralogy rewritten
new section on scanning electron microscopy
new section on electron microprobe analysis
discussion on minerals in igneous rocks expasnded
nucleation and crystallization expanded
70 new or revised figures
so I guess the third edition is an improvement!
I was glad to see a Michel Levy Color Chart (from what Brizendine said I though they might not) as I saw this in a book I borrowed from the library and I want to learn how to use it.

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2016 13:20    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Through Chapter 4. Chapter 4 (Optical Mineralogy) was tough slogging and I could have used a teacher to help me.
One quibble, from my background in Astronomy:
Figure 2 on page 104 gives cosmic rays as an electromagnetic radiation between X rays and Gamma Rays. Cosmic rays are not electromagnetic radiation (photons). They are protons and larger atomic nuclei traveling at relativistic speeds.

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2016 12:35    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Eight chapters done. Chapter 7 on metamorphic rocks was a bit challenging in places.
It would have been nice if the intro to chemical formulae on page 40 (Box 4) had also used pyrrhotite. Fortunately, I already knew that the x in the formula was a small fraction designating "holes" in the molecular structure.

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2016 14:42    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Read a couple chapters on crystals. I would have liked a few solid models to help me visualize the symmetries, or a tutor to help me over the rough spots, but I think I got most of it.

Tom Tucker

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2016 15:57    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Tom, a web search should turn up some site which presents printable sheets of models of various crystal classes. So if you print, cut and paste you'll have useable models, at least for a start. Tom

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2016 12:41    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Tom Tucker wrote:
Tom, a web search should turn up some site which presents printable sheets of models of various crystal classes. So if you print, cut and paste you'll have useable models, at least for a start. Tom

I found this:
https://www.ellenjmchenry.com/homeschool-freedownloads/earthscience-games/documents/Crystalshapes.pdf (link normalized by FMF)
on a homeschool site. My printer is busted, but I will try printing it at the library (if I remember).

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2016 12:47    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Read chapters on analysis and atomic structure.
It also has descriptions of important minerals (random fact: the alpha of the halite unit cell is 5.6404 A. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to know that we can measure unit cells to five significant figures). in various listings, including an identification flowchart.

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2017 11:52    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Tom Mazanec wrote:
Read chapters on analysis and atomic structure.
It also has descriptions of important minerals (random fact: the alpha of the halite unit cell is 5.6404 A. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to know that we can measure unit cells to five significant figures). in various listings, including an identification flowchart.

Yeah, I know...I should have said a instead of alpha.
Most or all of the illustrations, I notice, are present in both B&W and color. The color is decent. Was it just your edition, Jamison, or am I being too generous in my evaluation?

Jamison Brizendine

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2017 11:05    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Tom, honestly I think your being too generous. Considering the advancements in digital photography, I think an update on the color photographs should have been done for the 3rd edition.

Plate 2 by far is the worst for the color photography. Plate 2.2 is a rose quartz, but i can barely make out color or even a rough crystal shape. Plate 2.3 shows three very poor photos of amethyst and plate 2.5, the "brown quartz" from California is likely a heat treated Brazilian amethyst.

As per the black and white photographs, since most of them are pictures of graphs and models, i'm not as critical of them. I did find an awful photograph of an Arkansas wavellite in Figure 14.40 (p. 402).

Also note that Figure 1.15 (p. 24) the author incorrectly plotted the Grorund Feldspar that he describes in the book. It is supposed to be 3% anorthite, 62% albite and 35% orthoclase, but he plotted it as 3% anorthite, 52% albite and 45% orthoclase!

I haven't read the rest of the book in awhile but if I find anymore errors I will let you know.

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2017 18:03    Post subject: Re: Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins  

Jamison Brizendine wrote:
Tom, honestly I think your being too generous. Considering the advancements in digital photography, I think an update on the color photographs should have been done for the 3rd edition.

Plate 2 by far is the worst for the color photography. Plate 2.2 is a rose quartz, but i can barely make out color or even a rough crystal shape. Plate 2.3 shows three very poor photos of amethyst and plate 2.5, the "brown quartz" from California is likely a heat treated Brazilian amethyst.

As per the black and white photographs, since most of them are pictures of graphs and models, i'm not as critical of them. I did find an awful photograph of an Arkansas wavellite in Figure 14.40 (p. 402).

Also note that Figure 1.15 (p. 24) the author incorrectly plotted the Grorund Feldspar that he describes in the book. It is supposed to be 3% anorthite, 62% albite and 35% orthoclase, but he plotted it as 3% anorthite, 52% albite and 45% orthoclase!

I haven't read the rest of the book in awhile but if I find anymore errors I will let you know.

Wavellite is on p468 in mine...yeah, that one is bad. Thanks for the correction on Fig 1.15 (p44 for me) I will correct it.
Let me know other errors so I can correct them.

Index -> Mineralogical Literature   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: