We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 04:38

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Weird face in quartz
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Josele

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2016 18:25    Post subject: Weird face in quartz  

A friend brought me a small smoky quartz from Madagascar, bought in a road shop near Itremo. Although it is somewhat chipped, it retains some interesting features. In addition to the usual faces of the prism (m) and positive (r) and negative (z) rhombohedrons, the crystal shows what I suppose are two faces of the trigonal bipyramid (s), one of the trapezohedron (x) and another one that I can not recognize. Is a small scalene trapezium placed between adjacent x, s, r and m faces as can be seen in pictures.
Comments are welcome!
Thanks.

P1180381.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz (variety smoky)
 Locality:
Itremo Massif, Itremo, Ambatofinandrahana District, Amoron'i Mania Region, Fianarantsoa Province, Madagascar
 Dimensions: 7 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  36557 Time(s)

P1180381.jpg

P1180398.jpg
 Locality:
Itremo Massif, Itremo, Ambatofinandrahana District, Amoron'i Mania Region, Fianarantsoa Province, Madagascar
 Dimensions: FOV about 2.5 cm
 Description:
s-face
 Viewed:  36519 Time(s)

P1180398.jpg

Q3f.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Face at reflex is a x-face. At his right a bigger s-face and over them the unknown face.
 Viewed:  36512 Time(s)

Q3f.jpg

Q4.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Trying to reflect on each of the faces.
Last photo shows the weird face at reflex.
 Viewed:  36630 Time(s)

Q4.jpg

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2016 16:43    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Josele, you offer quite a puzzle! I think things are not as they seem, though I can't be sure. I note that the face that is in position to be the s face actually is not smooth, but concave and stepped - in your top-left image in figure 4 this is particularly apparent. Furthermore, I don't think its relationship to the other faces is right for an s face. The s face has the special property that it bevels rhombohedron and prism faces in both directions. This is to say that its opposite edges are parallel to each other in both directions, as can be seen in my first drawing and your second (excellent) image. I don't think the face in your fourth image shows this property, and I propose to ignore it as being not a true face, though I don't have a good explanation for why it is there. Perhaps contact with another crystal?

I suggest that there is no s face on this corner, and that the face illuminated in your figure 3 is an x face with indices (511). The mystery face appears to bevel x(511) and r(101). If so, its indices must be some linear combination of (511) and (101). I chose (511)+2*(101) or (713), which I arbitrarily named ∂. (713) is not a satisfying set of indices because they are too high (especially 7), but I don't think any combination of the indices of the two surrounding faces (i.e. (511) and (101) ) will produce a face that bevels the two and has satisfyingly low indices.

Further progress beyond this somewhat speculative analysis would require measurement of the angles between the various faces.

Hopefully this analysis is of some help in understanding your crystal!

quartz.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  36357 Time(s)

quartz.jpeg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2016 02:56    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

'Perhaps contact with another crystal? '

That is what it looks like to me too.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Josele

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2016 19:02    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Pete, Pierre, thanks for your help.

After seeing Peter's drawings and spent some more time with the X10 loupe, now I see there is not a s-face in this corner as you pointed, definitely angles don't fit. Although to me it does not seem a contact rather a complex / distorted step followed by a slightly curved plane sub-parallel to the adjacent r-face. There is some other distorted corners at this specimen. Anyway, not a real face.

The supposed x-face really looks like a true x-face. Face is flat but it has the longest side of the triangle somewhat curve because prism face is curved at top.

And weird small face is a bevel between x and r faces, as showed in Peter's figures 4 and 5. Not a very common face!

Pete, I really envy your capability for recognizing faces and even for determining Miller indices (from photos!!!), congratulations and thanks for your patience sharing your knowledge in this didactic and profitable way.

P1180448.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: FOV: 2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  36180 Time(s)

P1180448.jpg

P1180442.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: FOV: 2 cm
 Description:
A s-face in attached smaller crystal and another one back out of focus
 Viewed:  36177 Time(s)

P1180442.jpg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2016 03:16    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Hi Josele. May I make a suggestion to you and the administrators? There has been a number of threads about curious growth patterns and shapes in quartz. Can we not build on this thread and slightly change the topic to accommodate other contributions, as well as with links to all previous contributions? I also have a number of 'strange' forms of quartz to show.

Josele

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2016 10:57    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Pierre, of course you can use this thread to show your weird quartz when you want. I'm already looking forward to see them!

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2016 11:36    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Josele wrote:
Pierre, of course you can use this thread to show your weird quartz when you want. I'm already looking forward to see them!

Fantastic! Thank you Josele. I will do so when time allows:-)

Cesar M. Salvan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2016 12:08    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
Hi Josele. May I make a suggestion to you and the administrators? There have been a number of threads about curious growth patterns and shapes in quartz. Can we not build on this thread and slightly change the topic to accommodate other contributions, as well as with links to all previous contributions? I also have a number of 'strange' forms of quartz to show.

Hi Pierre!,

I take the liberty to speak as the FMF administrators team. It is a great suggestion and following the very good response from Josele, of course go ahead and publish your quartz crystals with strange shapes or difficult to explain faces. It will convert the thread in a very interesting crystal morphology lesson.

Fortunately, It is not necessary to change anything: the thread is in the right topic (minerals and mineralogy) and it can directly incorporate other specimens with similar questions. I said fortunately, because certain changes involve an overwhelming load of work for the staff's availability (who work as volunteers) and are very delicate for the structure of the forum. The title of the thread, instead, could be changed to accommodate the plurality of case studies. We'll change it once new specimens join the discussion.

I kindly ask for an effort to maintain the idea of the thread: crystals difficult to explain, as apparently strange faces, weird morphology that could be confused with different crystal systems, or confusing or unique morphological features.
To all readers, please do not convert the thread in a collection of quartz twins, as this is a different topic, or make a mess uploading all quartz groups. The idea is to keep the good level of the discussion and convert it in a good reference for the interpretation of crystal morphology.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2016 03:19    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Wonderful Cesar. I am looking forward to the expansion of a topic close to my heart. Thank you!

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2016 14:33    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Hi Josele and other interested FMF members. Here is my first contribution, a quartz with goethite specimen, which I found about a year ago. There were a few similar specimens from this pocket, but not quite like this one. It has (to me) a very strange growth form, which could be partly the result of a broken and rehealed crystal. I find it hard to show the specimen as I would want to. Some of the smaller edges are rounded.

P1220917.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz with goethite
 Locality:
Ceres, Warmbokkeveld Valley, Ceres, Valle Warmbokkeveld, Witzenberg, Cape Winelands, Western Cape Province, South Africa
 Dimensions: 35 x 28 x 23 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  35724 Time(s)

P1220917.JPG

P1220919.JPG
 Locality:
Ceres, Warmbokkeveld Valley, Ceres, Valle Warmbokkeveld, Witzenberg, Cape Winelands, Western Cape Province, South Africa
 Description:
Same as above
 Viewed:  35663 Time(s)

P1220919.JPG

P1220920.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Same as above
 Viewed:  35626 Time(s)

P1220920.JPG

P1220921.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Same as above
 Viewed:  35703 Time(s)

P1220921.JPG

P1220926.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Same as above
 Viewed:  35636 Time(s)

P1220926.JPG

P1220928.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Same as above
 Viewed:  35637 Time(s)

P1220928.JPG

P1220932.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Same as above
 Viewed:  35626 Time(s)

P1220932.JPG

P1220934.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Same as above
 Viewed:  35738 Time(s)

P1220934.JPG

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2016 11:15    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Hi Pierre,

Your specimen definitely qualifies as distorted! I think your second image is closest to being in a standard orientation. You may be right that it involves breaking and healing, but it is not clear that this occurred.

I've taken the liberty of capturing your second image and labeling it with the faces I think are present. r and z are the two rhombohedra that normally terminate quartz crystals, faces labeled m belong to the prism. There is no way to tell for sure which rhombohedron is which - I may have them labeled backwards - but it is usually assumed that the rhombohedron r has the larger faces. The hillocks on the top r face are a common growth feature and don't require breakage to explain; the irregular surface of the bottom r face (seen especially in image 4) is more suggestive of a broken and healed surface, but it appears to be in the proper orientation for an r face. Quartz does have a poor cleavage parallel to the rhombohedron which is sometimes the breakage plane when quartz breaks during growth, so it is possible for this to be a broken surface and still have the right orientation for a rhombohedron face.

The illuminated face in image 3 is a prism face, which is shown by the striations.

Attached is a cartoon that shows how your crystal relates to a more normal shape, in my interpretation.

Quartz A.jpeg
 Description:
Pierre's image 2 with faces labeled.
 Viewed:  35621 Time(s)

Quartz A.jpeg

Quartz B.jpeg
 Description:
Transition from typical quartz morphology to Pierre's quartz's distorted morphology
 Viewed:  35888 Time(s)

Quartz B.jpeg

Josele

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2016 17:33    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Nice piece, Pierre, very interesting. Without the help of Pete I would never arrive to determine the faces.
One rhombohedron much more developed than the other and few visible prism faces. Could it be called almost a pseudo cubic quartz crystal?

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2016 01:42    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Pete Richards wrote:
Hi Pierre,

Your specimen definitely qualifies as distorted! I think your second image is closest to being in a standard orientation. You may be right that it involves breaking and healing, but it is not clear that this occurred.

I've taken the liberty of capturing your second image and labeling it with the faces I think are present. r and z are the two rhombohedra that normally terminate quartz crystals, faces labeled m belong to the prism. There is no way to tell for sure which rhombohedron is which - I may have them labeled backwards - but it is usually assumed that the rhombohedron r has the larger faces. The hillocks on the top r face are a common growth feature and don't require breakage to explain; the irregular surface of the bottom r face (seen especially in image 4) is more suggestive of a broken and healed surface, but it appears to be in the proper orientation for an r face. Quartz does have a poor cleavage parallel to the rhombohedron which is sometimes the breakage plane when quartz breaks during growth, so it is possible for this to be a broken surface and still have the right orientation for a rhombohedron face.

The illuminated face in image 3 is a prism face, which is shown by the striations.

Attached is a cartoon that shows how your crystal relates to a more normal shape, in my interpretation.

Hi Pete. I really appreciate all your effort to analyze this specimen. The crystal form in your sketches is not uncommon from this area, so if there were no interferences, it probably would have ended up looking like that.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2016 01:46    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Josele wrote:
Nice piece, Pierre, very interesting. Without the help of Pete I would never arrive to determine the faces.
One rhombohedron much more developed than the other and few visible prism faces. Could it be called almost a pseudo cubic quartz crystal?

Hi Josele. We are blessed to have people like Pete on the forum! I realize again and again that there are many factors that can affect crystal growth in a pocket. These factors make crystal growth the interesting topic that it is.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2016 05:17    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Sorry Pete, my message should have read like this: 'The crystal forms in your first 3 sketches are not uncommon from this area, so if there were no interferences, it probably would have ended up looking like one of those.'

Reef

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2017 15:20    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

With your permission, I will continue to display rare quartz faces

-pi 012.jpg
 Description:
the form {012}
 Viewed:  31860 Time(s)

-pi 012.jpg

-pi.jpg
 Description:
the form {012}
 Viewed:  31870 Time(s)

-pi.jpg

11.jpg
 Locality:
Orenburgskaya Oblast, Southern Urals, Urals Region, Russia
 Dimensions: 20x10mm
 Description:
face of a rhombohedron (012)
 Viewed:  31877 Time(s)

11.jpg

12 (1).jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 23x12mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31840 Time(s)

12 (1).jpg

12 (2).jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31843 Time(s)

12 (2).jpg

12.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31895 Time(s)

12.jpg

13 (1).jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 17x16mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31885 Time(s)

13 (1).jpg

13.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 17x16mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31907 Time(s)

13.jpg

Reef

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2017 09:57    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Sometimes a rhombohedron (012) is replaced by a ditrigonal scalenohedron. Together with {012}, on the vertex there are occasional faces from (103) to (1.0.11), down to the pinacoid (001).

15 (1).jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 23x17mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31795 Time(s)

15 (1).jpg

15 (2).jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31808 Time(s)

15 (2).jpg

15.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31845 Time(s)

15.jpg

16.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Here, the more noticeable is the ditrigonal skalenohedron
 Viewed:  31776 Time(s)

16.jpg

17.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Here, the more noticeable is the ditrigonal skalenohedron
 Viewed:  31856 Time(s)

17.jpg

023 113.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31828 Time(s)

023 113.jpg

marco campos-venuti

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2017 11:20    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Hi Reef, do you think these faces are originated by dissolution (etching)? They remember the "Quarzi Gommoidi" of Luigi Bombicci from Colle Palombaia, Elba Island. He refers to a finding of quartz crystals in '800 with rounded termination due to many tiny faces on the top of the crystals.

Reef

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2017 12:34    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

marco campos-venuti wrote:
Hi Reef, do you think these faces are originated by dissolution (etching)? They remember the "Quarzi Gommoidi" of Luigi Bombicci from Colle Palombaia, Elba Island. He refers to a finding of quartz crystals in '800 with rounded termination due to many tiny faces on the top of the crystals.

Hi, marco campos-venuti. As far as I can tell, it's all growth faces. At this deposit quartz with inclusions of oil, lamellar structure. Basically skeletal, i.e. growth occurred rapidly and at relatively low crystallization temperatures. On some veins, there are single samples similar to dissolution, but I think this kind is due to rapid growth.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2017 10:23    Post subject: Re: Weird face in quartz  

Here is another specimen with an interesting face. I cannot remember ever seeing anything similar to this. I drew a yellow arrow to indicate the area of interest.

ARR.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz, variety amethyst
 Locality:
Goboboseb Mountains, Brandberg area, Erongo Region, Namibia
 Dimensions: 33 x 25 x 20 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31166 Time(s)

ARR.jpg

P1340511.JPG
 Description:
A pencil sketch of the specimen.
 Viewed:  31188 Time(s)