We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 03:19

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland

Index -> A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK

View previous topic :: View next topic  

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2013 04:51    Post subject: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland  

Jesse has kindly provided this photo to get this section started

Fluorite with Sphalerite and Ankerite - Beaumont Mine_Diana Vein_East Allendale_Northumberland_England_UK.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite with Sphalerite and Ankerite
Beaumont (Allenheads) Mine, Diana Vein, East Allendale, Northumberland, England, UK
10 cm across
A mound of dark gray silicified limestone covered with numerous pale lavender twinned fluorite crystals up to 1.7 cm with associated sphalerite and ankerite. Specimen was recovered ca. 1971.
 Viewed:  21138 Time(s)

Fluorite with Sphalerite and Ankerite - Beaumont Mine_Diana Vein_East Allendale_Northumberland_England_UK.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2013 03:22    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland  

A fluorite from East Allendale, Northumberland.

F235r.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite with Quartz
St. Peter's Mine. Sparty Lea, East Allendale, Northumberland, England, UK
12 cm across
A cluster of amber-colored, untwinned fluorite crystals up to 5 cm on edge. Recovered ca. 1996.
 Viewed:  21095 Time(s)

F235r.jpg

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2013 03:47    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland  

Witherite and Alstonite from the Fallowfields mine, near Hexham, Northumberland.

W006r.jpg
 Description:
Witherite on Alstonite
Fallowfields Mine, near Hexham, Northumberland, England, UK
6x6x5 cm
Specimen was originally acquired by the British Museum of Natural History in 1892 from Mrs. P. Gilmore of Alston.
 Viewed:  21079 Time(s)

W006r.jpg

ian jones

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2013 11:51    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland  

Another witherite from Fallowfields.

Striated witherite crystals to 40mm with minor alstonite. Ex collection of Professor W.F. Ferrier (1865-1950), a Canadian geologist and mining engineer, who the mineral ferrierite was named for.

Repatriated from Tucson in the early 1980s.

Witherite Fallowfield 1b.jpg
 Description:
Witherite
Fallowfield Mine, Acomb, Northumberland, England, UK
 Viewed:  20692 Time(s)

Witherite Fallowfield 1b.jpg

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2013 12:24    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland  

Fluorite and calcite from the Sipton Mine, East Allendale, along with a hand-written label from Arthur Russell dated 1925. I believe the "3/6" in the upper right corner of the label was the price - three shillings and six pence, which would have the modern monetary equivalent of 66 pence. It cost a bit more than that when it changed hands the last time. Expatriated from the UK in 2011.

Sipton-6638r.jpg
 Description:
fluorite with calcite
Sipton Mine, near Sparty Lea, East Allendale, Northumberland, England, UK
8x8x3 cm overall size
 Viewed:  20664 Time(s)

Sipton-6638r.jpg

nurbo

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2013 01:06    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland  

Slight correction there Jessie: pre 1971 a shilling = 12 d (d was the old term for pennies) so 3/6 = 42 d, in 1971 a shilling became 5 new pence (p) and a sixpence was translated to 2 1/2 p making 3/6 = 17 1/2 p, according to an online calculator the value in 2012 of 3/6 in 1925 is, using the retail price index, £8.45 whereas using average earnings 3/6 equates to £27.

Leon Hupperichs

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2013 14:44    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland  

A Baryte from the Settlingstones Mine, former Lindsay Greenbank specimen.

baryte.jpg
 Description:
Baryte
Settlingstones Mine, Fourstones, Tyne Valley, Northumberland, England, UK
size 10 x 7.5 cm
 Viewed:  20391 Time(s)

baryte.jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2017 17:06    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland  

Aggregates of unusually elongated and twinned crystals of Witherite from the classic Fallowfield Mine with small cubo-octahedral Galena crystals.
It is an old European classic that the collector Francesco S. Stoppani acquired in exchange with the Museé de l’Ècole des Mines of Paris and it is with an old label of Louis Sæmann.

Witherite with Galena - Fallowfield Mine_Acomb_Hexham_Tyne Valley_Northumberland_England_United Kingdom-rear.jpg
 Mineral: Witherite
 Locality:
Fallowfield Mine, Acomb, Hexham, Tyne Valley, Northumberland, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: Specimen size: 5 × 4.2 × 2.7 cm
 Description:
Main crystal size: 1.2 × 0.3 cm
Former collection of the Museé de l’Ècole des Mines and Francesco S. Stoppani
 Viewed:  15716 Time(s)

Witherite with Galena - Fallowfield Mine_Acomb_Hexham_Tyne Valley_Northumberland_England_United Kingdom-rear.jpg

Witherite with Galena - Fallowfield Mine_Acomb_Hexham_Tyne Valley_Northumberland_England_United Kingdom.jpg
 Mineral: Witherite
 Locality:
Fallowfield Mine, Acomb, Hexham, Tyne Valley, Northumberland, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: Specimen size: 5 × 4.2 × 2.7 cm
 Description:
Rear of the specimen
 Viewed:  15693 Time(s)

Witherite with Galena - Fallowfield Mine_Acomb_Hexham_Tyne Valley_Northumberland_England_United Kingdom.jpg

Witherite with Galena - Fallowfield Mine_Acomb_Hexham_Tyne Valley_Northumberland_England_United Kingdom-labels.jpg
 Description:
The related labels
 Viewed:  15660 Time(s)

Witherite with Galena - Fallowfield Mine_Acomb_Hexham_Tyne Valley_Northumberland_England_United Kingdom-labels.jpg

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2017 17:49    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland  

Interesting specimen, Jordi. I don't think I've ever seen that type of habit for witherite from Fallowfields. Here's a more typical one, associated with alstonite. The mine closed around the time of the First World War, and is now the site of a mobile home park ("caravan park" to the Brits).

Witherite-9694r.JPG
 Mineral: Witherite, Alstonite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 7x6x3 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  15656 Time(s)

Witherite-9694r.JPG

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2018 23:11    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Northumberland  

The Allenheads Mine, in the village of the same name was a major lead-producer during the 19th century. Lead mining ceased shortly after 1880, and few well-located specimens survive from this time period. In 1969 British Steel, in search for fluorspar for steel manufacture repoened the mine, renaming it "Beaumont" after the major lead mining company in the area during the previous century. While their search for fluorspar was not an economic success, some good specimens did emerge. Most famous were the ones from the Diana Vein, as seen above. Also produced were specimens from the nearby Henry's Vein. Fluorite specimens from Henry's Vein were quite different from the Diana Vein, being mostly untwinned purple cubes associated with siderite and occasional galena.

F170-2047r.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite, Siderite, Galena
 Locality:
Allenheads Mine (Beaumont Mine), Allendale, Northumberland, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 11x8x7 cm overall size
 Description:
Ex Lindsay Greenbank collection.
 Viewed:  13900 Time(s)

F170-2047r.jpg

Index -> A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: