We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
21 Aug-16:53:36 Re: royal cornwall museum mineral gallery - your support is needed (Roy Starkey)
21 Aug-16:33:47 Re: royal cornwall museum mineral gallery - your support is needed (Robert Seitz)
21 Aug-11:48:08 Re: mineral identification (Ricknsarah)
21 Aug-11:44:14 Re: mineral identification (Matt_zukowski)
21 Aug-11:28:39 Re: mineral identification (Jordi Fabre)
21 Aug-11:20:38 Re: mineral identification (Kevin Schofield)
21 Aug-10:50:45 Re: mineral identification (Ricknsarah)
21 Aug-10:49:53 Mineral identification (Ricknsarah)
21 Aug-10:39:43 Re: sainte-marie-aux-mines - but not during showtime (Jordi Fabre)
21 Aug-10:27:08 Re: sainte-marie-aux-mines - but not during showtime (Philippe Durand)
21 Aug-09:45:27 Re: tucson show 2017 (Bob Harman)
21 Aug-09:32:17 Re: tucson show 2017 (Jordi Fabre)
21 Aug-09:09:25 Re: tucson show 2017 (Bob Harman)
21 Aug-05:41:28 Sainte-marie-aux-mines - but not during showtime (Andyh)
21 Aug-05:33:03 Re: tucson show 2017 (Daniel Peters)
21 Aug-00:27:05 Re: "deep sea manganese nodule".... (Mathias)
21 Aug-00:21:28 Re: ferberite, pyrite, siderite, and..... ? (Mathias)
20 Aug-15:02:19 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
20 Aug-04:40:01 Re: micro photos of inclusions in quartz (Zbhjzm)
20 Aug-04:17:26 Re: crystal cavity + green vein poss. Chlorite? (Kara)
20 Aug-03:22:15 Re: ferberite, pyrite, siderite, and..... ? (Jorge Santos Garcia)
20 Aug-03:18:56 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
20 Aug-03:06:27 Re: crystal cavity + green vein poss. Chlorite? (Peter Lemkin)
19 Aug-23:04:59 Re: question about fluorite on quartz (Robert Seitz)
19 Aug-20:11:06 Re: ferberite, pyrite, siderite, and..... ? (Justin Hickok)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Aug 21, 2018 20:53

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Please help identify. Looks like a geode not sure

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

CompTrekkie

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2018 10:53    Post subject: Please help identify. Looks like a geode not sure  

I am trying to identify the type of rock and what mineral I am looking at here. Thank you all.

rock.jpg
 Locality:
Ballast Point, Tampa Bay, Tampa, Hillsborough County, Florida, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  1127 Time(s)

rock.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bob Harman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2018 11:01    Post subject: Re: Please help identify. Looks like a geode not sure  

The background in your photo is quite distracting. Never-the-less, I think you have a piece of silicified limestone where most of the actual limestone has weathered away, leaving the resistant quartz areas lining some irregular cavities. Hard to see, but I think the cavities might be lined by small druzy quartz crystals. The whole appearance is like a cousin of the well known agatized Tampa Bay Coral. BOB

CompTrekkie

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2018 11:11    Post subject: Re: Please help identify. Looks like a geode not sure  

I am at work right now. I have already pressured washed it and it looks much better, I will get better pics when I get home tonight to help out. Thank you for the info.

The out side is covered in impressions of sea shells and coral.

kushmeja

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2018 11:13    Post subject: Re: Please help identify. Looks like a geode not sure  

Bob Harman wrote:
The background in your photo is quite distracting. Never-the-less, I think you have a piece of silicified limestone where most of the actual limestone has weathered away, leaving the resistant quartz areas lining some irregular cavities. Hard to see, but I think the cavities might be lined by small druzy quartz crystals. The whole appearance is like a cousin of the well known agatized Tampa Bay Coral. BOB

Agree with Bob. This looks very similar to the agatized corals from Tampa Bay and other areas of FL, but without the appearance of coral fossilization.

Kevin Schofield

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2018 11:56    Post subject: Re: Please help identify. Looks like a geode not sure  

Hi CT,
what you have here is a silica nodule, better known in my (original) part of the world as a flint nodule. As Bob has already said, it formed when the original carbonate rock was replaced by cryptocrystalline silica. The white "rind" around the edges, rather than being crystals growing into a geode, are remnants of the original limestone that are only partly silicified. Flints form in chemical microenvironments during relatively shallow burial of the original carbonate sediment (work in the chalk of the UK suggests the order of a few metres) where the Eh/pH conditions become suitable for the dissolution of the biologically-stabilized opaline silica in the skeletons of sponges and diatoms. This silica is itself not happy to be in solution at low temperature and pressure and generally redeposits locally as a silica gel that largely replaces the original carbonate (one presumes that it is rendered more soluble by the same conditions that favour the silica coming out of solution). With further burial, the silica gel dehydrates to become a flint.
Kevin
ps to the Forum regulars and purists, I apologize for posting before submitting an introduction. Will do soon, I promise!

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: