We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 11:51

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Index -> A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK

View previous topic :: View next topic  

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2017 12:38    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Tobi, I think they have been called 'heart twins'?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

colin robinson

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2017 15:36    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

colin robinson wrote:
Stanhopeburn is probably better known for the cerussite specimens it produced. Some nice fluorites also came out of the limestone quarries and opencut ironstone workings lower down the burn. This 14cm plate is from the Trough vein on the east side of the burn.

The specimen is NOT from Stanhopeburn mine as the caption states. but from an old limestone quarry on the east side of Stanhope Burn which is a stream flowing through Stanhope Dene. All this is probably quite confusing for a non-local but if we're going to have locations we might as well be correct.

colin robinson

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2017 15:47    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Newlandside fluorites are renowned for the amazing colour zoning to be seen in some crystals. This battered old thing has seen better days but it does show the zoning quite well. Interestingly a vein worked in the western quarry produced pink crystals - a very rare colour for Weardale. Sadly the vein was quarried away many years ago.

TNfluzones.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Newlandside Quarry, Quarry Hill Veins, Stanhope, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Description:
 Viewed:  24023 Time(s)

TNfluzones.jpg

colin robinson

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2017 15:58    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

A little anecdote to add here. Messers Greenbank and Sutcliffe, founders of the Rogerley Mine, attempted to work the Quarry Hills vein in Newlandside until the then owner, Tommy Wilson caught them and told them to 'bugger off'. Tommy was an old man when I first met him and he told me that he and his sister used to get fluorite specimens in exchange for cigarettes from the prisoners of war who were billeted nearby and put to work in the quarries during the 1914-18 war.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2017 03:36    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

colin robinson wrote:
The specimen is NOT from Stanhopeburn mine as the caption states. but from an old limestone quarry on the east side of Stanhope Burn which is a stream flowing through Stanhope Dene. All this is probably quite confusing for a non-local but if we're going to have locations we might as well be correct.

Sorted Colin. Thank you for your additions, they are really interesting and useful.

Can we ask a couple of favours please.

Could you use the IMA names for minerals, so with the first letter in Capitals. (for example, https://nrmima.nrm.se//IMA_Master_List_%282017-05%29.pdf )

Also we do like to know how large the specimen is, so please give their dimensions (in cm)

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2017 11:35    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

I've also seen the occasional "double twin" from the Rogerley Mine. I've never heard these referred to as "heart twins." That is usually applied to calcite twins of the appropriate morphology from West Cumbria.

15-9158r.JPG
 Locality:
Rogerley Mine, Frosterley, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 2.8 cm on edge
 Description:
fluorite "double twin"
 Viewed:  23976 Time(s)

15-9158r.JPG

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2017 03:09    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

If you look at them from one angle it looks a little like a heart. I am not saying it is a good description but it is used. I.e., from a commercail web site, I quote "An aesthetic English fluorite featuring a large double twinned crystal, 'heart' shaped and measuring 2cm in width."

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2017 11:43    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Personally, I think calling them "heart twins" requires more than a little imagination, but then, the history of commerce is full of imaginative descriptions. I recall selling a wholesale lot of fluorite to an enthusiastic Japanese customer a few years back. She had a website, and though mostly in a language I don't know, it was obvious that it was selling to the new-age and metaphysical market. One of the few English bits, however, claimed that Rogerley fluorite was "the stone of genius!" Considering just how much money I lost on that venture, I am dubious of the claim.

But getting back to the theme of this thread, here is a fluorite from another little-known Weardale location. The Carricks Mine is located near the village of Ireshopeburn and was worked for iron ore coming from flats of oxidized iron carbonates. Most of the workings were 19th century, but the mine was reopened for a short period during the early 1940s.

Carricks-8064r.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite, Ankerite, Quartz
 Locality:
Carricks Mine, Ireshopeburn, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 10x8x6 cm overall size
 Description:
Ex Arthur Scoble and David Green collections.
 Viewed:  23853 Time(s)

Carricks-8064r.jpg

colin robinson

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2017 17:40    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Nice one, Jesse. The Grove Heads opencut worked one of the veins cut by Carricks level and produced similar material, though not quite as 'fresh' as the ankerite/siderite was oxidized to goethite pseudomorphs. I have to agree that calling double-twinned fluorites 'hearts' is rather misleading, certainly on a site like this.

colin robinson

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2017 17:48    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Apologies for the picture quality but this is a scan of photo of a double penetration twin of fluorite (not heart-shaped) recovered from Heights West Cross Vein in the early 1990s. It is 3cm on the long side.

green twin.jpg
 Locality:
Heights Quarry, West Cross vein, Westgate, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 3cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  23795 Time(s)

green twin.jpg

colin robinson

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2017 17:58    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

And talking of scans of old photos, this unusually coloured fluorite is from Pike Law, Teesdale. It is almost 6cm on the long edge and was one of a number recovered after a landslip exposed a clay-filled cavity containing much broken fluorite. All the fluorite crystals were detached from the matrix and mostly pristine. Sadly a few weeks later the ground moved again bringing down limestone blocks the size of cars so no more fluorite.

pikelaw.jpg
 Locality:
Pike Law Mines, Newbiggin, Teesdale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 6cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  23773 Time(s)

pikelaw.jpg

colin robinson

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2017 18:24    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Pike Law has always been close to my heart as it was where my collecting really started. I'd collected before that but in 1966 my mate Fuzz passed his driving test and the world was our oyster. I saw 'old mines' marked on the Ordnance Survey map and off we went. Fifty years later I found this fluorite plate not 2m from the road where a drainage ditch had cut through one of the old dumps.

fluplate.JPG
 Locality:
Pike Law Mines, Newbiggin, Teesdale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 18cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  23783 Time(s)

fluplate.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2017 10:44    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Another Blackdene galena:

BlackdGAL.JPG
 Mineral: Galena, Fluorite, Quartz
 Locality:
Blackdene Mine, Ireshopeburn, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: Specimen size 10 cm, largest galena 2,5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  23299 Time(s)

BlackdGAL.JPG

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2017 12:39    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Another galena and fluorite from the Blackdene Mine. This one is from a large cavity found in 1973. The specimens are characterized by sharp, lustrous, twinned purple fluorite crystals, usually less than 1 cm in size, often associated with cube-octahedral galena crystals on a quartz-rich matrix.

I was told an interesting story about this find by one of the miners who was there at the time. Evidently, the cavity was quite large, and yielded a lot of specimens. A group of the miners who were interested in collecting specimens would use old explosives boxes to pack specimens and would load them onto a locomotive to drive out at the end of each shift. So as not to be too obvious about what they were doing, there was a general agreement that everyone would limit themselves to one box per shift. One miner, a fellow by the name of Bobby Reid was evidently interested in getting all he could, and acquired a fair amount of material from the pocket. He also was, evidently, a somewhat difficult person to come to a deal with, and one perspective buyer decided to try and go around him and make a deal with the mine management for specimens. This just served to alert the management to what was going on with collecting in the mine, and they made the miners blow the remaining cavity. This find is sometimes referred to as "Bobby Reid's pocket."

G025-6881r.JPG
 Mineral: Galena, Fluorite
 Locality:
Blackdene Mine, Ireshopeburn, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 15x13x5 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  23307 Time(s)

G025-6881r.JPG

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2017 13:19    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

A monster! ;-)

Galena_giant-UK-15x14x8-7.5x7.3_f.jpg
 Mineral: Galena on Calcite-Siderite and Fluorite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 15 x 14 x 8.7 cm
 Description:
Galena crystal size: 7.5 x 7.3 cm
Former collection of Eugeni Bareche
Mined before 1979
 Viewed:  23283 Time(s)

Galena_giant-UK-15x14x8-7.5x7.3_f.jpg

Galena_giant-UK-15x14x8-7.5x7.3_s1.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 7.5 x 7.3 cm
 Description:
Side of the larger Galena crystal
 Viewed:  23242 Time(s)

Galena_giant-UK-15x14x8-7.5x7.3_s1.jpg

Galena_giant-UK-15x14x8-7.5x7.3_t.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 14 x 8 cm
 Description:
Top of the Galena crystals
 Viewed:  23280 Time(s)

Galena_giant-UK-15x14x8-7.5x7.3_t.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2017 13:35    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Galena on Calcite-Siderite and Fluorite
Blackdene Mine, Ireshopeburn, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England, United Kingdom
Dimensions:15 x 14 x 8.7 cm
Description: A monster! ;-)
Wow - what a great specimen, Jordi, one of the most beautiful monsters I've ever seen :-)

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2017 15:23    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

The Burtree Pasture Mine was one of the largest lead-producing mines in Weardale during the 19th century. Despite that, few documented specimens seem to have survived from that time. An attempt to reopen the mine for fluorspar was made in the late 1970s, but was not a financial success. A few pieces such as this one came out at that time.

Burtree-8947r.JPG
 Locality:
Burtree Slits, Cowshill, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 12x9x4 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  21644 Time(s)

Burtree-8947r.JPG

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2018 17:46    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Fluorite twins from the Frazer's Hush Mine, Rookhopeburn, Weardale.

Frazers-9840r.JPG
 Locality:
Frazer's Hush Mine, Rookhope District, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 10x7x4 cm overall
 Description:
Likely from the 1987-1988 find on the 340 Level.
 Viewed:  20437 Time(s)

Frazers-9840r.JPG

Groverake-Mar99-2cr.jpg
 Locality:
Frazer's Hush Mine, Rookhope District, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Description:
Frazer's Hush was a modern mine, operating between 1974 - 1999. It was located at the far northwest end of Rookhopeburn, just beyond the Groverake Mine. The workings can be seen in the middle background of the photo, just left of the main Groverake head frame. The Frazer's Hush workings were declines rather than shafts, so no head frames were erected on site. The mine is best known for a find of high quality purple fluorites that happened in 1987-1988. The photo was taken in 1999 shortly after the closure of both mines. The sites have largely been cleared since, and the only thing that now remains is the main Groverake head frame.
 Viewed:  20335 Time(s)

Groverake-Mar99-2cr.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2018 02:41    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Jesse Fisher wrote:
Fluorite twins from the Frazer's Hush Mine, Rookhopeburn, Weardale.
Locality: Frazer's Hush Mine, Rookhope District, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England, United Kingdom
Dimensions: 10x7x4 cm overall
Wow, simply a perfect specimen, Jesse! :-)

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2018 00:29    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

The Killhope Mine, located in the upper (western) part of Weardale was an active lead mine during the 19th century. The main adit (or horse level) is known as the Park Level. In recent years the site has been rebuilt and is now operated as a mining history museum. Prominent on the site is one of the only surviving waterwheels, which were once a commonly used source of power at mines about the Dale. Specimens identified from the mine are relatively rare. This one was formerly in the Arthur Scoble and David Green collections. I have seen others in the collection of the Natural History Museum, London.

F370-8046r.jpg
 Locality:
Killhope Mine, Middlegrove vein, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 9x7x3 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  19958 Time(s)

F370-8046r.jpg

Killhope6-6-04r.jpg
 Locality:
Killhope Mine, Middlegrove vein, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Description:
The restored Killhope waterwheel, which provided power to ore separation jigs in the adjacent building.
 Viewed:  19959 Time(s)

Killhope6-6-04r.jpg

Index -> A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 5 of 6
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

Jump to: