We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 01:35

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
In Memoriam - John Veevaert - Album of greetings cards

Index -> In Memoriam

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 03:16    Post subject: In Memoriam - John Veevaert - Album of greetings cards  

Just returned from Ste. Marie I got the terrible news of John Veevaert's death in a car accident. By age (we had the same age) and due to the circumstances, all my life on the Internet has passed in parallel to John so, honestly, I am very impressed.

I know that when someone dies everybody says nice words about him but this particular list of nice words has a plus, is completely true:

He was generous and extremely kind.
He loved the minerals above the money they could give to him.
He was a pioneer, a great talker and a free spirit.
He never complained, whatever happened, having luck or misfortune, he was always positive and always looked for the best of all things and all the circumstances.
He was an "old school" professional: loyal, serious and honest.

He was also many more things that I suppose will be manifested for others but I should leave it here. I must think a lot on John and his loss.

Rest in peace, my friend.

2004-28-01 John Veevaert.jpg
 Description:
John in Tucson 2004 kidding (as always)
 Viewed:  46368 Time(s)

2004-28-01 John Veevaert.jpg

Tucson 2018 - The six fab.jpg
 Description:
John with some friends in Tucson 2018 and kidding (as always)
 Viewed:  46303 Time(s)

Tucson 2018 - The six fab.jpg

John Veevaert.jpg
 Description:
Rest in peace, my friend.
 Viewed:  46313 Time(s)

John Veevaert.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

lluis

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 03:58    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

Received the sad new a few hours before it was placed here.

Knowing him personally, I completely agree with Jordi

We will miss him a lot!

Rest him in peace

Lluís

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 05:22    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

Hi to everybody!
I knew John during the Mindat meeting in Lwowek Slaski Poland in 2011, I was very well impressed about his culture and his knowledge of our subjects. I am vey sad by getting so bad a new, and I send my condolences to his family. Now you are in Heaven, watch to all of us from there, John!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Gail

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 06:20    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

Rest In Peace John. Your legacy is amazing. Hugs to Ronna, John’s wife.

Elise

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 07:08    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

Sincere condolences to his family and friends. The growing outpouring of grief since the announcement of his tragic death is a tribute to the place he held in the hearts of the worldwide mineral community and beyond. I was only just beginning to get to know him through our mutual great friend John S. White. What a terrible loss; what a sad day for all.

Jordi, what lovely praise for him, but here is the view from the other end of the lens that day which you posted with your tribute above: the REAL "Fabulous Six" ...it was a happy moment under the Arizona sun, as all your faces show.

18_20180206_1673a96.jpg
 Description:
"The Real Fabulous Six" (February 6, 2018 Tucson)
 Viewed:  46171 Time(s)

18_20180206_1673a96.jpg

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 07:18    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

John, as part of the August group that installed the exhibit at the East coast show in 2015.

IMG_8703.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  46155 Time(s)

IMG_8703.jpg

IMG_8516.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  46226 Time(s)

IMG_8516.jpg

IMG_8518.jpg
 Description:
None above.
 Viewed:  46155 Time(s)

IMG_8518.jpg

rweaver

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 09:21    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

Jordi about summed up what John was about. He was one of the good guys in the mineral world and will be missed. This is one of my first memories of John and was also one of my first online purchases back in Dec 2001. Words and pictures from his original website.

2 x 1.7 x .6 cm nugget of gold found by yours truly during the summer of 1979 only about 25 miles from downtown Los Angeles! A bit of a hike to get to this place in the San Gabriel Mountains but quite worth it. I have had this specimen for some time and debated on whether to keep it or not but since ALL I collect is benitoite I have decided to free this beast up.

I gave John visitation rights any time he was in my part of California and this is my tribute to him.

gd902a.jpg
 Mineral: Gold
 Locality:
East Fork, San Gabriel River, San Gabriel Mountains, Angeles National Forest, Los Angeles County, California, USA
 Dimensions: 2 x 1.7 x 0.6 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  45992 Time(s)

gd902a.jpg

gd902b.jpg
 Mineral: Gold
 Locality:
East Fork, San Gabriel River, San Gabriel Mountains, Angeles National Forest, Los Angeles County, California, USA
 Dimensions: 2 x 1.7 x 0.6 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  45999 Time(s)

gd902b.jpg

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 11:24    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

Sad news. John was a good guy. It was always a pleasure to have a look at his site and not just for the shows' reports.
Rest in peace.

Christophe

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 13:31    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

In happier times. A good friend gone too soon.

IMG_2757r.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45806 Time(s)

IMG_2757r.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 15:53    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

Hard to believe. Very impressed!

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2018 18:43    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

I met John when he was first starting out as a dealer and I was returning to mineral collecting for my second time. I remember him doing his online auction from the bathroom in one of the dealer rooms in Tucson. A simple desk lamp and a digital camera was all it took as he pioneered the digital age in the mineral collecting market. It speaks volumes of a man who could build an exceptional business from such humble beginnings.

Although I was not a regular client of his, I did manage to purchase a few nice things from him over the years. When we met in Tucson, John was always willing to take the time to engage in conversation and share his passion for the hobby.

He will be missed, condolences to the family.

Joseph

Peter

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2018 12:45    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert  

I completely agree with Jordi. I was very sad to hear of his passing and so touched I was hoping it was not true. During the years I have lost some of my best geology-mineralogy friends, but many were in their 90s, and a few as young as their 70s.

I never saw John as a dealer but fellow collector. Very passionate, very knowledgeable and indeed he was more interested in minerals than money by far and all his actions
spoke for it.

He was always very happy and felt honored when I bought something from him. It showed his humbleness. My last buy from him was in Tucson 2018 after having agreed to buy something before seeing it live, something I rarely do.

I am so honored and pleased that I had two evenings with John this year.
We had some wonderful and deep discussions and his honesty is remarkable and strong.

I will always treasure our last conversation with him showing his honest strong mind, integrity and bravery in human contact beyond what one normally experiences.

I had plans to be field collecting with John in the autumn. Sadly not to be, but I will raise a toast to you John, in a place you would have loved to join me!!!
RIP my real friend

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2018 15:48    Post subject: In Memoriam - John Veevaert - Album of greetings cards  

After some time has passed I'm still shocked at the news of John's death.

I believe that each one of us is unique and that what we leave behind are memories of how we interact with other people. John's memories and stories are numerous, and those stories are part of who John was.
As a small tribute to his memory I open this space to request to all those who have something to relate about a memory with John to write it here and in this way, together, we will build an album of greetings cards on line. John deserves it.

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2018 16:30    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert - Album of greetings cards  

Jordi Fabre wrote:

I believe that each one of us is unique and that what we leave behind are memories of how we interact with other people. John's memories and stories are numerous, and those stories are part of who John was.
As a small tribute to his memory I open this space to request to all those who have something to relate about a memory with John to write it here and in this way, together, we will build an album of greetings cards on line. John deserves it.

Dear Jordi:

This is a wonderful initiative. I too was shocked to hear about the untimely death of John.

I never had the opportunity to meet John or speak to him face-to-face, and we only ever exchanged a couple of emails regarding mineral specimens, but I am certain that had I met him we would have become the best of friends.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2018 08:35    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert - Album of greetings cards  

Jordi Fabre wrote:

Although many memories of John are very personal and at the moment I prefer not to write them, an image that I link to John is the one of the dinners during the Shows. So many dinners, so many projects, so many illusions, so many disappointments...

Interestingly, the first was not only with him, but it took place in Munich in a small, dark and very Bavarian restaurant. There three young (then) people, John, Rob Lavinsky and I who conspired with the naïve desire to take on the world believing that through the Internet and being pioneers in the sale of minerals online good fortune was going to smile on us.

After so many years, we still need John. Shortly when I will be in München I will raise again a Weißbier for those moments and for everything that came later. Without John, nothing would have been the same, he was the "graphite moderator bar" of our nuclear reactor and during many years moderated properly the madness of all of us, the family of the collectors and lovers of minerals.

Tony L. Potucek

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2018 10:09    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert - Album of greetings cards  

I started the tradition of the rolling bar at mineral shows I attend because the social element of the mineral collecting passion was ebbing. Rod Tyson soon joined me, and Johnny V. became one of our patron "members" immediately because he felt the same way, and we became fast friends. Several respondents on this thread have joined us over the years to celebrate life, our common passion, and our close friendships, and so have many others, some passed, many living. Johnny V. truly loved the downtime and the migrant gathering when not walking the mineral venue. We visited about what we were seeing at the shows, newly emerging specimens and species, our families, our friends, mineral trends, and we celebrated being able to see each other again. Then, it was time to continue the chase for lovely and wonderful minerals, only to return and continue our camaraderie.

Johnny V. chased solar eclipses like he chased minerals, and together with Ronna, they visited us in Idaho this past year to see that eclipse. It was special and unexpected and yet, there they were. Celebrate...

Paraphrasing John White, another dear friend I cherish, "Where were you all of my life, and where ever we next meet, keep an open chair for me, pard."

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2018 19:52    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert - Album of greetings cards  

I've known John for many years. I think we first met when he was starting out as an internet mineral dealer in the mid 1990s. He quickly became one of the group of friends I would meet up with at various mineral shows around the world, sharing meals, drinks and stories. The thing I enjoyed most about his company was that he always seemed more interested in friends and minerals than money and appearances. When I first got involved with mining fluorite in England he was the first dealer to take our specimens and put them on the web. He also spent a good bit of time helping me to subsequently develop our own website, and I had a difficult time getting him to take anything for his efforts.

Fast forward to about a year ago. John and Ronna had recently moved to Reno, about a four hour drive from where I live. He had just acquired a fluorite collection and invited me to come have a look. When I got there, it had not been unpacked yet, so we spent an afternoon unwrapping specimens. The lot was rather disappointing, overall, and contained far too many large, mediocre Chinese specimens that would be difficult to sell. There were a few nice bits, however, including a very good bicolor fluorite cluster from the Denton Mine. It was undoubtedly the best piece in the lot, but when I ask him what he wanted for it, he quoted me a ridiculously low price! Knowing that even with a fair price on it, he would struggle to make anything on the collection, I had to insist that he take more money for it. But that was the kind of person he was!

Sessions at the Munich show biergarten and at Tony's rolling bar will feel a bit empty without him.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2018 20:01    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert - Album of greetings cards  

John's passing is so very sad. for all of us who truly love minerals, I think Jordi said it best:

"He loved the minerals above the money they could give to him."

can't really say much more.

bob

bob kerr

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2018 11:58    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - John Veevaert - Album of greetings cards  

Is anyone planning a memorial display case for John at the upcoming Tucson show?

another "mineral man" - George Stevens - passed away recently and a memorial case is planned for him.

bob

Index -> In Memoriam   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: